Hacking Completely Wipe NAND and Start Over?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. So this is interesting.

I wrote the nand.bin that Ohneswanzeneger gave me. Then, without leaving BootMii, I took the SD card out (after returning to the BootMii main screen), renamed keys.bin to keys.old and nand.bin to nand.old.
I then did a dump.

Comparing the nand files themselves, there is only ONE difference, see here:
http://i.imgur.com/dni4Hu2.png

I'm not sure what that would be, but it seems fairly harmless. Note that when I tried to turn the Wii on, and it gave me a black screen, if I dumped the NAND after that point, THEN tons of stuff was different.

The same thing happens with my keys.bin, a character changes from 0x3B to 0x41. Offset 2F9.

So... what does all this mean? I'm more curious why the keys would change at all, though the fact that I can restore actual working NAND dumps of mine and they boot up fine should show that there's nothing wrong with my Wii's NAND itself.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know but it did just find this https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/other-stuff/virgin seems like it should work in your case, I don't know if bootmii as boot2 can run .dol files but you could give this method a shot or use mult-mod-manager(I know it has a .elf) I have the most recent version before the site went offline i'll upload it tomorrow it's 11:07PM here almost time for bed and my upload speed is horrendous.

MMM will allow you to load .dol files or you can install 4.0 - 4.2 using it :)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I think it can run .dol files. It does have an SD browser, after all.

I can try that thing, the site works fine right now.

--Edit--

Actually, that was completely pointless. All it did was try to remove Preloader which I didn't even have installed to begin with.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The change in the nand.bin and keys.bin is not a change in the keys itself, just a difference of when it was dumped. The keys are the same, but there is more info in nand.bin and keys.bin than just the keys. Just a byproduct of the dump process. Seems that you may have a hardware issue. Do you have a gc controller, if not you may want to pick one up. Download the hackmii installer and put bootmini.elf on sd:\ load it from the bootmii sd menu and install the homebrew channel. From there softmod your wii, get cios and priiloader installed. See if you can load and wii games via usbloader. Also try savemiifrii and see if recovery menu loads. Also run syscheck.

Possibly your bt module died

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I have GC controllers.

So are you saying to restore that Ohneswanzeneger NAND, the one that just gives me a black screen... and then run bootmini from BootMii and see if I can install HBC onto that?

--EDIT--

OK yeah, so I did that... when I launch bootmini.elf it just gives me a green screen looking like gibberish. Going to do some more testing...

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can upload Multi-Mod-Manager it has an elf that works and should help, the original site is offline an the archive is no where to be found but I still have a copy of it from when it used to exist in modmii it has support for downloading and installing system menus 3.2 - 4.3

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can upload Multi-Mod-Manager it has an elf that works and should help, the original site is offline an the archive is no where to be found but I still have a copy of it from when it used to exist in modmii it has support for downloading and installing system menus 3.2 - 4.3

Sure, worth a try I suppose.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You started off with a working Wii system, why did you even want to resort to Ohneswanzenegger? That application is used as a last resort when you don't have a working NAND backup. All you really needed was a ModMii re-mod minus the cIOS'es, a "fresh start" gives you no benefits at all. If you made a NAND backup when you first softmodded the system (which you should've), I'd use that backup and flash it to the system.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...you started off with a working Wii system, why did you even want to resort to Ohneswanzenegger? All you really needed was a ModMii re-mod minus the cIOS'es, a "fresh start" gives you no benefits at all. If you made a NAND backup when you first softmodded the system (which you should've), I'd use that backup and flash it to the system.

I do completely agree with you Foxi4 if a backup from a fresh HB channel and bootmii installation is available to him, he should use that, but MMM should work I have v13.4 from when it was downloadable from modmii. it is now no longer in the list of downloads as well as the homepage not existing anymore

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I do completely agree with you Foxi4 if a backup from a fresh HB channel and bootmii installation is available to him, he should use that, but MMM should work I have v13.4 from when it was downloadable from modmii. it is now no longer in the list of downloads as well as the homepage not existing anymore
MMM is all nice and dandy until you install a US system menu on a Korean Wii unknowingly and may proceed to throw it out the window in fury and rage. Then again, he has a boot2-vulnerable system, so that's probably not a concern. MMM is a great tool for when you know what you're doing, I have it myself.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You started off with a working Wii system, why did you even want to resort to Ohneswanzenegger? That application is used as a last resort when you don't have a working NAND backup. All you really needed was a ModMii re-mod minus the cIOS'es, a "fresh start" gives you no benefits at all. If you made a NAND backup when you first softmodded the system (which you should've), I'd use that backup and flash it to the system.

Because I've been hacking and installing stuff for years, to the point where even the simplest hacks won't work. Just the other day I was trying to get some music games to recognize my microphone and refused to, even though it was plugged into the USB port.

Installing hacks on top of hacks doesn't really work, because all the non-hacked stuff that is also potentially missing or corrupted is still missing or corrupted.

What I might try is using MMM to basically remove everything and then install just the system menu stuff.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because I've been hacking and installing stuff for years, to the point where even the simplest hacks won't work. Just the other day I was trying to get some music games to recognize my microphone and refused to, even though it was plugged into the USB port.

Installing hacks on top of hacks doesn't really work, because all the non-hacked stuff that is also potentially missing or corrupted is still missing or corrupted.

What I might try is using MMM to basically remove everything and then install just the system menu stuff.
Uhm, overwriting a previously patched IOS does exactly that, but okay ;). You do what you think is right - I personally recommend a full ModMii firmware re-mod.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, overwriting a previously patched IOS does exactly that, but okay ;). You do what you think is right - I personally recommend a full ModMii firmware re-mod.

I've done that several times. Stuff is still broken.

I'm pretty sure ModMii doesn't touch *every single thing installed on the system* and some of the hacks I had used before the actual stable things we have today did really sketchy stuff. Keep in mind I've been using Wii homebrew since before "The Homebrew Channel" even existed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've done that several times. Stuff is still broken.

I'm pretty sure ModMii doesn't touch *every single thing installed on the system* and some of the hacks I had used before the actual stable things we have today did really sketchy stuff. Keep in mind I've been using Wii homebrew since before "The Homebrew Channel" even existed.
A full firmware re-install does, and you can delete all cIOS'es and stubs through Dop-Mii, but hey! :P

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A full firmware re-install does, and you can delete all cIOS'es and stubs through Dop-Mii, but hey! :P

I only ever did that easy mode, the "use this if you want to mod your Wii for the first time or re-mod it"

That didn't do anything with firmware, it just patched some IOSes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill