Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
No. Any device announced in or after 2010 is still without a jailbreak for iOS 6.0.x.

(The only legitimate jailbreak for iOS 6.0.x is the usual tethered jailbreak for devices vulnerable to the limera1n exploit.)

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you need Internet to jailbreak an iPod touch 4g with red sn0w?
You shouldn't. There are no jailbreaks that require an internet connection. Absinthe (the iOS 5.x jailbreak) required an internet connection during the week or so after its release, but now it's all packaged in a self-extracting executable that does not need to connect to the internet. All of absinthe's utilities are packaged inside the most recent redsn0w executable, along with all the jailbreaking utilities for iOS 4. If you are on iOS 6, redsn0w will still be able to jailbreak your device, but the jailbreak will be tethered.

Again, redsn0w can do this all without connecting to the internet. Any appropriate jailbreaking application should be able to.

Cawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an iPhone 4 on ios 6.0.1, and I want to do the semi untethered jailbreak. I was reading some things about it though, and a few of the articles said (or implied) that my phone can just randomly reboot sometimes, meaning I would have to plug it back in to get all my jailbreak apps working properly. Is this true? I would just like a confirmation before I do this because I also use safari and my mail apps regularly. And having it just shut down randomly would be really annoying.

Cawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an iPhone 4 (CDMA model, for what it's worth) on iOS 6.0.1 and I've never had any problems with random rebooting.
Good to hear, thanks. I am going to go ahead a jailbreak it, and if it ends up giving me any problems I'll just unjailbreak it.

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an iPhone 4 on ios 6.0.1, and I want to do the semi untethered jailbreak. I was reading some things about it though, and a few of the articles said (or implied) that my phone can just randomly reboot sometimes, meaning I would have to plug it back in to get all my jailbreak apps working properly. Is this true? I would just like a confirmation before I do this because I also use safari and my mail apps regularly. And having it just shut down randomly would be really annoying.
SemiTether is officially untested on iOS 6. There very well may be issues with random rebooting. However, jailbreaking iPhones is always reversible, so you can always try and see.

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
After all this tech talk , here comes a noob question . I have an iPhone 4 ( GSM version A1332 ) with iOS 4.2.1 . I believe i read right that the last iOS where you can do a permanent ( tethered ) jailbreak is 5.1.1 . For the moment i would like just to update to that oficial version , how do i do that ? ( iTunes automatically wants to install iOS 6 which i don't want )

Anyone of you tried any gamepads ( wired or BT ) with iPhone ? Does it work with retail games or just emulators ? Do they require jailbreaking in order to work ?

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After all this tech talk , here comes a noob question . I have an iPhone 4 ( GSM version A1332 ) with iOS 4.2.1 . I believe i read right that the last iOS where you can do a permanent ( tethered ) jailbreak is 5.1.1 . For the moment i would like just to update to that oficial version , how do i do that ? ( iTunes automatically wants to install iOS 6 which i don't want )

Anyone of you tried any gamepads ( wired or BT ) with iPhone ? Does it work with retail games or just emulators ? Do they require jailbreaking in order to work ?
I think if you download an iOS 5.1.1 IPSW(ios firmware) from the Internet, you should be fine. Then in iTunes hit restore but also press Shift(Windows only) and for Mac(I think it's option). Then browse for the firmware you just downloaded. If done correctly, it should restore to 5.1.1. Your data however will be gone.

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you have not saved your SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1, you WILL NOT be able to update or restore to it. iTunes will, at best, tell you you cannot restore or update or, at worst, attempt an update which will fail part-way through and force you to update to the latest iOS (6.0.1)

There is a bright side to this. If your device is jailbroken, and you have run Cydia at least once while Apple was signing 5.1.1, Cydia should have saved your SHSH blobs for you, and you will be able to request them remotely using an application, I suggest TinyUmbrella. If you successfully retrieve those SHSHs from Cydia, you will be able to restore to iOS 5.1.1. TinyUmbrella will do work here, too. While you're on the TinyUmbrella page, I also suggest you download the latest version of Absinthe. It's the most user-friendly jailbreaking application for 5.1.1 in my opinion, as it does pretty much everything for you. You'll also want the latest version of redsn0w (currently, that is 0.9.15b3).

Here's a quick tutorial assuming you're running Windows. If not, there are versions of TinyUmbrella, redsn0w, and Abs1nthe for Mac:
1. Run TinyUmbrella (best to run it as administrator, you will need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed, but you probably already have it. If not, Google it).
2. TinyUmbrella will probably prompt you warning that its set to request SHSHs from Cydia. This is actually good in this scenario. Dismiss the prompts. If your system asks you if TinyUmbrella can use the network services, allow it. TinyUmbrella is not malware and will not attempt to steal your information in any way.
3. Connect your device to your computer. If iTunes automatically opens, close it.
4. Wait for your device to appear in the TinyUmbrella sidebar. When it does, click on it.
5. Click over to the "Advanced" tab. Make sure "Request SHSH from Cydia" is checked.
6. In the top-right corner of the application, click the "Save SHSH" button.
7. When TinyUmbrella is finished working, click back over to the "General" tab. If your SHSH blobs were on Cydia's servers, they should now appear in the white box. The files should be located in C:/Users/[User Name]/.shsh if you are running Windows 7. If not, you'll have to look around for them. (I suggest Google)
8. Run redsn0w as Administrator.
9. Click the "Extras" tab, then "Even more", the "Restore."
10. Click IPSW. Navigate to the appropriate IPSW file you wish to restore to. (You can get one here if you don't already have it)
11. Assuming your device is still connected, you can now click either Local (to use the blobs you saved manually from Cydia. You should always have those stored in a safe place. ALWAYS) or Remote (to use blobs from Cydia. This service is convenient, but in the past, Cydia has had to stop offering it. This is why you NEED to have them saved somewhere locally.)
12. Let redsn0w do the work.
13. After redsn0w has finished, you can jailbreak using either redsn0w or Absinthe. As I said before, Absinthe is much simpler, so I suggest that. Either will get the job done, and they should be able to tell you everything you need to do, so this will be the last step I give you.

One last note. iOS 5.1.1 is the latest iOS revision that can be jailbroken untethered, which means that if it should power off, you can power it back on with no problems. As you own an iPhone 4 which is liable to the limera1n exploit, you will always be able to jailbreak on any iOS revision tethered, but that means that any time your device is powered off, you have to connect it to a computer and run an application in order to power it back on.

Good luck, I hope your SHSHs are saved, and you can get to 5.1.1 and jailbreak with ease.

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
Izen , i tried what you said , i saved the blobs with Tiny Umbrella but Redsnow says it's invalid , that APTicket is missing from it . Also , i can't seem to get it in DFU Mode

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Izen , i tried what you said , i saved the blobs with Tiny Umbrella but Redsnow says it's invalid , that APTicket is missing from it . Also , i can't seem to get it in DFU Mode
That's very odd. Cydia should save the APTicket along with the SHSH blobs (they're two halves of the same whole, so I usually never even have to mention the APTicket). Try to use the remote SHSHs from Cydia's servers and see if that works. If it does, then redsn0w has a SHSH blob requesting feature under Extras>SHSH blobs>Query. If it doesn't work, I would suggest iOS 5.0.1. There aren't many major changes from 5.0.1 to 5.1, and none from 5.1 to 5.1.1. If none of that works, you can just restore to any 4.x version, as none of those require the combined SHSH and APTicket, as the APTicket was introduced in iOS 5. And if you don't want to do that, you can always go with a tethered jailbreak on iOS 6.0.1.

To enter DFU mode, with your device plugged in and powered on, just hold down the Sleep/Power and Home Button at the same time for about 10 seconds, then let go of the Sleep/Power button and keep holding the Home Button for another 10 seconds. DFU mode is hard to identify, to be honest. Your device's screen will not be lit up or displaying anything, and the buttons should be unresponsive (though you can exit DFU mode by doing a hard reboot by holding down the Sleep/Power Button and the Home Button for 7+ seconds, until the Apple Logo shows up), but your computer should identify the device and install drivers for DFU mode if they're not already installed (this will take a minute or so, and redsn0w won't be able to identify the device until the drivers finish installing). If they are, iTunes might open and tell you it's found a device in Recovery Mode (a half-truth) and needs to restore it (a blatant lie).

Or you can follow the instructions on this page: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode . They're essentially identical to mine, but my instructions start with a device that's already powered on.

So if you're not sure if you're in DFU mode, just open up iTunes. If you're in it, then iTunes will say your device is in Recovery Mode.

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
I can't get the blobs fetched with TinyUmbrella to be validated by Redsnow . I got 2 files called ECID-iphone3,1-6.0.1.shsh and cb56dfaf02b6df07154ed407b1866b03d892c7d0.plist , when i check them with Redsnow it validates the first as having ApTicket but the second one is missing them . I tried restoring to ios 4.3.5 , ios 5 and 5.1.1 all failed . When i click Use Local Blobs and select the PLIST file i get an error " The Blobs could not be verified " . When i select the SHSH file i get These blobs don't appear to be for Iphone3,1_4.3.5_8L1 . When i click for remote blobs it can't find them although Red Snow did fetch them and upload to Cydia servers ( but i understand these servers aren't up anymore so maybe that why it can't fetch them ) . Any other software available that can flash the firmware without checking the blobs ?

Why is the first file named with 6.0.1 , is it only to that firmware i can restore ?

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get the blobs fetched with TinyUmbrella to be validated by Redsnow . I got 2 files called ECID-iphone3,1-6.0.1.shsh and cb56dfaf02b6df07154ed407b1866b03d892c7d0.plist , when i check them with Redsnow it validates the first as having ApTicket but the second one is missing them . I tried restoring to ios 4.3.5 , ios 5 and 5.1.1 all failed . When i click Use Local Blobs and select the PLIST file i get an error " The Blobs could not be verified " . When i select the SHSH file i get These blobs don't appear to be for Iphone3,1_4.3.5_8L1 . When i click for remote blobs it can't find them although Red Snow did fetch them and upload to Cydia servers ( but i understand these servers aren't up anymore so maybe that why it can't fetch them ) . Any other software available that can flash the firmware without checking the blobs ?

Why is the first file named with 6.0.1 , is it only to that firmware i can restore ?

[long hexidecimal string].plist is TinyUmbrella's log of what devices have been connected and their relevant information. You won't be using it for anything.
Well, [ECID]-iphone3,1-6.0.1.shsh is the SHSH blobs, and they are only for 6.0.1. You will only be able to restore to 6.0.1 with it. If you only got that one, it sounds like either Cydia didn't back your blobs up, or you were requesting from Apple's servers instead of Cydia's. Under the Advanced tab in TinyUmbrella, make sure "Save ALL Available SHSH" and "Request SHSH from Cydia" are checked and try again.

I gave you a bit of misinformation in saying redsn0w can save the SHSH blobs. It only checks Cydia's servers to see if the blobs are there. It will not download and back them up for you.

If it doesn't work, you should verify that Cydia actually does have your SHSHs backed up. This is as easy as opening up Cydia on your iPhone and waiting for it to reload. Across the top, below the navigation bar, you should see a string of green text that lists all the SHSHs it has backed up for you. (For example, mine for my 4S says "SHSH: iOS 5.0.1, 5.0.1r1, 5.1, 5.1.1, 6.0, 6.0.1")

If Cydia says it has your blobs and you still can't manage to retrieve them, you could PM me your ECID and I could see if I could get them for you and send them your way.

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iOS 6.1 is live and public. In other extremely relevant news, MuscleNerd, planetbeing, pimskeks, and pod2g, all well-known and active members of the iOS jailbreaking community, have formed a team they call evad3rs and have been hinting strongly at an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6.1 being released by them very soon (like within the week soon).

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes there have been sources that have been released that point to the release of the new 6.1 untethered jailbreak. They have also advices that you do not update Over The Air. You must update through iTunes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cool band name lol
    Their hit song Deliver Us from good, was a banger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine what I'd do if I did like you
    +1
  • wiihackZlol @ wiihackZlol:
    hey anyone here?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wii experts at your service we can Abracadaba anything made by Nintendo for your piracy needs
    +1
    Now your playing with power!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guys five unmarked black vans with red letters just pulled up at my house :ohnoes:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ancientboi called FBI on you. You better flush your stash.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, been lazy. Been inside playing games for last few days, too hot outside, was 97 degrees F today. It was so hot outside, I seen a dog chasing a cat, and they both were walking.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Fallout4, pubg, Starfield, Forza, Still wakes the Deep, just to name a few
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's just ancientboi left me his laptop
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Who are/ were they?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some Nintendo execs wanted to give him a promotion
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    party van
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get in the van
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    5 day weekend starts now :D
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Have off tomorrow for Juneteenth, then took thursday and Friday off to make the most out of the mid-week day off lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5 days of straight fap
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    enter the goon cave
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi likes the goonies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good week to take time off, so damn hot! You can catch up on some gaming While staying in the AC, or do like ken does, fap all week.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Good week to take time off, so damn hot! You can catch up on some gaming While staying in the...