Gaming Combat Flight Sims: modern titles worth considering - anyone playing them?

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
****WARNING LONG THREAD AHEAD**** As a kid and a young teenager I had an obsession for flight Sims: as a kid I used to play with a tiny whiny 80s analog joystick from Kraft (originally bundled with a 1990 IBM ps/1 286 machine) enjoying Red Baron 3D and the earliest version of iF-22 (not the novalogic one) and growing up I had a lot of fun with the original IL2 and the improved Forgotten Battles with another cheap ass saitek joy. From that time I moved away from the genre, mainly because of the lack of time and equipment, but I always kept an eye on it (well my main preference were always fps games but I enjoy pretty much any kind of game). Recently I had two deals: il2 1946 for 1€ from gog and a plasticky but very nice thrustmaster T16000 (joy only) for just 23€ and this made me getting intersted in the genre again.
Sadly IL2 1946 is still based off the 10+ years engine or the original IL2 and it is a clunky mess of settings and different patches, especially for multiplayer.

In a nutshell do you have any suggestion for a modern "not too expensive" combat flight sim (It can be historical or modern setting) that has all the quality of life improvement that a modern game should have? Also do you still play this genre?

PS: cliffs of Dover with unofficial patches looks good but it is a clunky mess exactly like 1946.

Last edited by MasterControl90,

dollarydoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah, same people. if youre getting a fully modeled plane with as much authenticity as possible when it comes to systems weapons and flight model they usually charge 60-80. the not-so-simulated planes and modules drop to kind of lower. although they frequently have sales which are 50,60,70 percent off so thats nice

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
the last type of that game i played (and i think only) was the ace combat series in the ps2, really enjoyed them
and looking up it seems the series is still being made, which is neat. not sure if they are still good..
but they are usually console only games... which is a really bummer

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
yeah, same people. if youre getting a fully modeled plane with as much authenticity as possible when it comes to systems weapons and flight model they usually charge 60-80. the not-so-simulated planes and modules drop to kind of lower. although they frequently have sales which are 50,60,70 percent off so thats nice
mmmmh I've to check what package is interesting to me and wait for some sale. Thanks mate! In the meanwhile I'm testing some cheap head tracking system while going full speed under bridges :P

the last type of that game i played (and i think only) was the ace combat series in the ps2, really enjoyed them
and looking up it seems the series is still being made, which is neat. not sure if they are still good..
but they are usually console only games... which is a really bummer
More recent games are also on PC although ace series are not flight Sims at all.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
More recent games are also on PC although ace series are not flight Sims at all.
ho yeah it's not a sim
but since ya said combat flight.. i guessed it would fit
the other day i was looking for flight simulators, asked here in the temp, i only knew the microsoft ones, and well i got recommended ace combat which also puzzled me because i don't see it being a sim

dollarydoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ya the ace combat games got me into modern combat flight sims. the arcade gameplay mechanics are silly but the stories plot voice acting and music are all spot on

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 I didn't know Sonic serves they food in baking pans.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @K3Nv2 I didn't know Sonic serves they food in baking pans.