_Bojack_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is no such version yet. But it will be available "soon"

b0b_d0e at reddit dropped on me some nice message in response to AMD problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Citra/comm...ever_going_to_get_performance_update/dutabxt/

"
Amd fix is already done now. It doesn't impact performance for Nvidia it seems. The code is on the final stretch now and is getting ready to go live. From there we can track issues with specific games and stuff.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet of games performance differences but no one has tested mh xx so I can't say for that one. But here's some numbers from someone with a intel 3700k and a gtx 680 for some other mh games at 4x resolution and accurate mul on (which slows down all games but is required for some games) what I'm saying is if you drop resolution and turn off mul you'd likely get even faster, but we wanted to test the average scenario.

Monster Hunter Generations 50% -> 275%

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 10% -> 45%

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate 15% -> 50%

Monster Hunter Stories 5% -> 17%

"

NICE!
Some rough guestimations here.
If some custom builds can run MHGen at 100-130% already then this new gpu build should help those out with lesser CPU's.
For MH4U, a 35% increase over core builds i would hope translates to similar increase for custom builds. The best iv got Mh4u to run at is 80%town/90-100%world with added jit ticks (~5500), and 50%town/60-80%world for no additional ticks. A full 35% increase over tachibana's build would allow minimal added jit ticks (maybe around 3000) to be used for smooth gameplay(anything over 3500 adds stutter), which would be nice.

Cant wait to try it out.

midoraku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
custom builds can run gen/xx but on res higher than native or x4-x5+ there is big fps slowdowns on roars of many monsters and light effects like on astalos. So if new build will fix it and it will be possible run it on x6-x8 res nonstop - that will be awesome.

2018-02-26_04-23-35.png

perkel

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
yes most of the time i got 100% but there are part of game where i get like 80% (bherna), roars, sometimes when there are few small monsters and big monster at the same time.

_Bojack_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm odd cant say iv noticed that myself.
I did notice that turnig off audio stretching helped things feel/sound smoother. maybe roars and the like + audio stretching is causing the slowdown ? Just a thought.
I may test it myself later, atm im going through D3's new season :P

Keishiayy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Running I5 4690 & GTX 1070. 9x native constantly, never drop frames except on some rare occasions when a monster roar/flash bomb (not all the times, depends on the map, small monster, palico..) the drop goes down to like 75% for 1 sec.

Looking forward to playing MP w/ my friends since they can't get full speed with their AMD cpu. I wonder how long it will take for a build w/ working MP & the new GPU update to be working.

Haven't tested that audio stretching yet. Will do so later!

jroweboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it covers everything. He talks about MH games because i was talking about example of MHXX which only needs like 20% increased performance from citra and it will be near perfect version of MHXX to play.

Also those numbers he posted are for CORE citra aka official build.
Most of people playing use unnoficial builds which run a lot faster than core citra.

Now imagine if core citra gets such bumb then you can assume unnoficial builds also will speed up a lot.
i already responded to you on reddit, but since my response hasn't made it here, i'll go ahead and spell it out here too. (fyi i'm b0b d0e on reddit as thats my gamer tag. jroweboy is my "real name" account i use for development)

the speed boost thats merged into unofficial builds that was rejected for main citra (running 3ds shaders on multiple cpu cores) will be incompatible with the new update (running 3ds shaders on your gpu). There will not be a speed up that an unofficial build can merge to make it faster than master. When the change goes live, there will be a dropdown in the graphics config that will let the user choose to use the new gpu shaders, or the old cpu shaders, since for people with bad gpus, the old code will still be faster. The threaded cpu shaders will only speed up the old cpu shaders and will have no impact on the new code, aka gpu shaders. This means that you can't say that unofficial builds will run a lot faster than official when this change goes live. (There will be minor 1-2 fps speed ups from things like compiling for more modern cpus, but nothing like you are suggesting) Merging in the multithreaded cpu shader code will only impact the cpu shaders, and will not make gpu shaders any faster.

I hope this clears up why an unofficial build is faster, and why that speed boost will not make the new code faster.

Telemetry suggests that the most users will get a benefit from the new code, so it'll likely be on by default, and anyone who experiences a slow down will need to just turn it back to the old code. As i mentioned on reddit, there will also likely be a setting to tweak for performance (which will be renamed before it goes live).

Desmondchaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i already responded to you on reddit, but since my response hasn't made it here, i'll go ahead and spell it out here too. (fyi i'm b0b d0e on reddit as thats my gamer tag. jroweboy is my "real name" account i use for development)

the speed boost thats merged into unofficial builds that was rejected for main citra (running 3ds shaders on multiple cpu cores) will be incompatible with the new update (running 3ds shaders on your gpu). There will not be a speed up that an unofficial build can merge to make it faster than master. When the change goes live, there will be a dropdown in the graphics config that will let the user choose to use the new gpu shaders, or the old cpu shaders, since for people with bad gpus, the old code will still be faster. The threaded cpu shaders will only speed up the old cpu shaders and will have no impact on the new code, aka gpu shaders. This means that you can't say that unofficial builds will run a lot faster than official when this change goes live. (There will be minor 1-2 fps speed ups from things like compiling for more modern cpus, but nothing like you are suggesting) Merging in the multithreaded cpu shader code will only impact the cpu shaders, and will not make gpu shaders any faster.

I hope this clears up why an unofficial build is faster, and why that speed boost will not make the new code faster.

Telemetry suggests that the most users will get a benefit from the new code, so it'll likely be on by default, and anyone who experiences a slow down will need to just turn it back to the old code. As i mentioned on reddit, there will also likely be a setting to tweak for performance (which will be renamed before it goes live).

May I ask a slightly different question, since you're with development? Why is it that MH4U seems to run in slow motion when going 30FPS or even 45 FPS? I've tried locking it to these framerates in hopes of getting a consistent experience. On a real 3DS (I have OG 3DS), the 30 FPS doesn't appear to be slow, and in fact looks relatively smooth most of the time, unless you go online, where frames drop ridiculously. But on Citra, it's like slow motion at that framerate. I appreciate any feedback, you can give on the matter.

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
May I ask a slightly different question, since you're with development? Why is it that MH4U seems to run in slow motion when going 30FPS or even 45 FPS? I've tried locking it to these framerates in hopes of getting a consistent experience. On a real 3DS (I have OG 3DS), the 30 FPS doesn't appear to be slow, and in fact looks relatively smooth most of the time, unless you go online, where frames drop ridiculously. But on Citra, it's like slow motion at that framerate. I appreciate any feedback, you can give on the matter.
Now I don't play Monster Hunter games, but from what I heard from others, did you disable 3D mode in the options? Some places are slow with 3D mode enable.

==========================================================

Offtopic but my own curiosity. Sorry if I'm being an ass on this offtopic.
Where did all those Monster Hunter players came from? Iirc, there's not many Monster Hunter players here back in late 2015-early 2017(cause Citra back then was more on Pokemon fans). Then around mid 2017, Monster Hunter is a big hit for Citra. Out of curiosity, is it your first time playing the Monster Hunter series? Not sure if you played the first one on the OG PS2 or emulated, but I'm thinking you're like the Pokemon fans who started playing from Gen 1 till Gen 7 and having one generation missing to play makes you incomplete as a fan.
Again, sorry if I'm an ass on this offtopic.

Reactions: Desmondchaser

midoraku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
4U sadly havent inbuilt option to disable 3d like gen/xx as i know

I myself not really a BIG fan of MH games but more like emulation fan. And i mainly played psp mh releases. So i like - just used to play on xbox gamepad with handy hd upscale - and this 2 reasons (and no tranlation of switch for XX) is main reasons why im so interested in citra mh support. BTW i cant say old MHs was really too good without spoil of nostalgia - i dropped all-people-loved freedom unite in the middle cause played it after portable 3rd. And FU in comparsion to p3rd have really dam old awful hitboxes that made me burn in hate after like 500hrs in p3rd.

Adam the Grim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Telemetry suggests that the most users will get a benefit from the new code,

Dusting off this old account to ask: How well does this update scale with more powerful GPUs? I saw you tested with a 680 and a 970 (albeit with a different game), but would the speedup be better for someone with a 1080? I get the inkling that it would, but I figure there's no harm in asking. Also, how big of an improvement in terms of accuracy can we expect with this update?

Where did all those Monster Hunter players came from? Iirc, there's not many Monster Hunter players here back in late 2015-early 2017(cause Citra back then was more on Pokemon fans). Then around mid 2017, Monster Hunter is a big hit for Citra. Out of curiosity, is it your first time playing the Monster Hunter series? Not sure if you played the first one on the OG PS2 or emulated, but I'm thinking you're like the Pokemon fans who started playing from Gen 1 till Gen 7 and having one generation missing to play makes you incomplete as a fan.
Again, sorry if I'm an ass on this offtopic.

not 100% positive about the rest, but I've been playing MH since FU, and I've been waiting, no, dying for MH to be playable in Citra. Pretty much the second 4U was even remotely playable in Citra, I moved my save over and shelved my n3DS. I've just been casually watching Citra until MH4U was no longer covered in graphical glitches-- that's when I got excited. I think that's where a lot of us are coming from. Other than that, I'm so so so sick of playing it on the 3DS. It's so cramped, the nub sucks, abysmal resolution forces me to squint, etc etc. What with MonHun World being delayed til autumn on PC, I figured I'd just pump a few hundred more hours into 4U, but now with much more comfortable controls and better resolution.

Last edited by Adam the Grim,

Desmondchaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dusting off this old account to ask: How well does this update scale with more powerful GPUs? I saw you tested with a 680 and a 970 (albeit with a different game), but would the speedup be better for someone with a 1080? I get the inkling that it would, but I figure there's no harm in asking. Also, how big of an improvement in terms of accuracy can we expect with this update?

not 100% positive about the rest, but I've been playing MH since FU, and I've been waiting, no, dying for MH to be playable in Citra. Pretty much the second 4U was even remotely playable in Citra, I moved my save over and shelved my n3DS. I've just been casually watching Citra until MH4U was no longer covered in graphical glitches-- that's when I got excited. I think that's where a lot of us are coming from. Other than that, I'm so so so sick of playing it on the 3DS. It's so cramped, the nub sucks, abysmal resolution forces me to squint, etc etc. What with MonHun World being delayed til autumn on PC, I figured I'd just pump a few hundred more hours into 4U, but now with much more comfortable controls and better resolution.

I actually completely agree with this sentiment. This is exactly why I'm playing the game on Citra. Same with MHXX. No offense, congrats on the team at Capcom for making such quality MonHun games on 3DS but I was tired of handhelds and screw Nintendo for mishandling the WiiU (thus we didn't get 4U on WiiU) and screw the deal Capcom and Nintendo made, basically forcing us to just deal with 3DS' poor design for 5 years. I was practically glowing when MHWorld came out on a real console with a real controller. Can't wait to play MH4U (probably my favorite, since like MHFU levels of gameplay and content but with better options/visuals/etc.) on a TV with a proper controller.

perkel

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Never understood why MHGen/X/XX had that option to begin with.

If you play with 3D(or you just switch it off via switch) it has some sort of cheap antialiasing (FXAA or something like that)
When you switch it off in options that gets out along with 3D and games on 3DS looked pix-elated as fuck.
Though i played on N3DS so maybe on O3DS it couldn't hold FPS right so they made that option.
Which is imo also bizarre because MH4U not only had waaaaaaay better framerate but also better FOV

tywald

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Never understood why MHGen/X/XX had that option to begin with.

If you play with 3D(or you just switch it off via switch) it has some sort of cheap antialiasing (FXAA or something like that)
When you switch it off in options that gets out along with 3D and games on 3DS looked pix-elated as fuck.
Though i played on N3DS so maybe on O3DS it couldn't hold FPS right so they made that option.
Which is imo also bizarre because MH4U not only had waaaaaaay better framerate but also better FOV

On my O3DS with fps counter, it says I have about 34 fps in Val Habar.

MH3U also had the 3D option, it just disappeared in MH4, then it was still gone in MH4G and later even on MH4U :/ (if only they made a last minute change to add it)

_Bojack_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I can answere this.

MH4U actualy runs at up to 60 FPS on the 3DS. This game shows the difference between the 3DS and N3DS rather well becouse of that 60 FPS cap.
MHGen and XX is capped at 30.

So unles u can manage 60 FPS on Citra for MH4U, its going to run slow. However, it shoud be noted that Mh4U cant be run at 100% emulation speed atm anyway, unless u introduce added jit ticks, which essentialy skips frames, allowing the emulator to run at higher speeds but sacrifcing FPS. Without added jit ticks, emulation may run at 50% resulting 30FPS, 75% emulation would be 45 fps, and 100% would be 60fps. if you add jit ticks to increase emulation, the speed will icnrease but the FPS will be lower. For example 100% speed but 30 fps. The game will not run in slow motion but it will feel choppy as ur essentualy skiping 50% of frames.

The change from a 60FPS cap in MH4U to 30 fps cap in later titles was dissapointment for those of us that noticed it. Mainly for PC gamers as we rarely ever play games at 30 FPS. The differnece is night and day.

Desmondchaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can answere this.

MH4U actualy runs at up to 60 FPS on the 3DS. This game shows the difference between the 3DS and N3DS rather well becouse of that 60 FPS cap.

So unles u can manage 60 FPS on Citra for MH4U, its going to run slow. However, it shoud be noted that Mh4U cant be run at 100% emulation speed atm anyway, unless u introduce added jit ticks, which essentialy skips frames, allowing the emulator to run at higher speeds but sacrifcing FPS. Without added jit ticks, emulation may run at 50% resulting 30FPS, 75% emulation would be 45 fps, and 100% would be 60fps. if you add jit ticks to increase emulation, the speed will icnrease but the FPS will be lower. For example 100% speed but 30 fps. The game will not run in slow motion but it will feel choppy as ur essentualy skiping 50% of frames.

The change from a 60FPS cap in MH4U to 30 fps cap in later titles was dissapointment for those of us that noticed it. Mainly for PC gamers as we rarely ever play games at 30 FPS. The differnece is night and day.

I think I described it poorly. What I mean, is on OG3DS the game actually does implement a sort of frameskipping or at least they lowered the amount of actually frames in the animation I guess. But on Citra, the game LITERALLY runs in slow motion, rather than doing such things. The motion is still smooth (rendering 60FPS worth of frames, just running slower). And using the jit tick modification doesn't produce the same effect as a real 3DS. I can't provide example videos because my account can't do links, and is relatively new right now. But I hope this explanation is better.

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can answere this.

This is wrong on so many levels.

monsterhunter NEVER had a framelimiter on the 3DS, they all had unlocked framerates.

Lunos

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

monsterhunter NEVER had a framelimiter on the 3DS, they all had unlocked framerates.
Wrong. The 3DS Version of MonHun: Generations IS capped at 30 FPS. I assume the same goes for XX.
Source (EDIT: 1:34. It looks like copying the link+timestamp doesn't work over here):

Last edited by Lunos,

asferot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Sorry, but you are completely wrong. What he said is correct. All MonHun games on 3DS have FPS locks. For 4U it is 60, for X and XX it is 30. Sadly, most of the time they don't even reach that FPS even on n3DS. There was a lot of noise when Gen/X came out, because people found out it is locked at 30 and not 60 as the previous game, 4U.
I don't think any game on 3DS have unlocked FPS, unless you do some dangerous AF hacks using CFW.

I think I described it poorly. What I mean, is on OG3DS the game actually does implement a sort of frameskipping or at least they lowered the amount of actually frames in the animation I guess. But on Citra, the game LITERALLY runs in slow motion, rather than doing such things. The motion is still smooth (rendering 60FPS worth of frames, just running slower). And using the jit tick modification doesn't produce the same effect as a real 3DS. I can't provide example videos because my account can't do links, and is relatively new right now. But I hope this explanation is better.

Yea, I have thought about it too. None of the Monster Hunter games actually run at full speed all the time on real 3DS hardware, but they do not go slow-mo when they dip FPS very low.

Last edited by asferot,
Reactions: Desmondchaser

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning