DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK cios38-r21-d2x-v3 seems to be a good replacement for cios38-r17. Is there any reason I would not wan't to replace cios38-r17 with cios38-r21-d2x-v3. From what I have read and tested, compatibility should be the same or better with cios38-r21-d2x-v3. Is there any known downside?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How to pronounce it?
tongue.gif

But more serious...I think it might be a worthy replacement. It's been some weeks since I tested wiiware and VC (with the beta's, that is) but I can't remember a single game that runs on rev17 but not on cios38-r21-d2x-v3-beta.

Keep in mind that this was exclusively in mighty channels. While this should be fine in triiforce, it's not certain. And since wad2iso relies on triiforce, it's something worth checking out.

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah.
I have the same question, actually. I have rev17 installed, and is thinking of changing things up just in line with the OP.

Back to the question then. The new cios seems pretty stable and compatible with the newest games. Any cons this far? Why would I not want to replace V17 with r21-d2x-v3?

EDIT: Had a few questions on HOW to replace rev17 with r21-d2x-v3. Will be better of posting them in the noob-thread instead of here.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
siliconmessiah said:
Ah.
I have the same question, actually. I have rev17 installed, and is thinking of changing things up just in line with the OP.

Back to the question then. The new cios seems pretty stable and compatible with the newest games. Any cons this far? Why would I not want to replace V17 with r21-d2x-v3?

EDIT: Had a few questions on HOW to replace rev17 with r21-d2x-v3. Will be better of posting them in the noob-thread instead of here.

Is dumping of wads possible with r21-d2x-v3 ? As far as I know original rev 17 is, and official rev 21 is'nt.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know any downsides, but like we say "if it's not broken, don't fix it".
If rev17 is doing the same thing as r21, then you don't need to update.

advantage : mainly NAND emulation related, partition selection on Nand emulation,
inconvenient : I know only "you need ModMii" (there's no homebrew installer), and USBloaderGX need to be updated to latest beta (1080+). Other homebrews should work fine.

Base38 is a good choice I think, as it's working with older wad managers (wad manager Gui for example), while base57 needs manager 1.7

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
"you need modmii" is a pretty big disadvantage imho

not everyone has a pc
not every pc uses windows
not every windows user can or want to run some arbitrary program (think eg job)

if they really want to push it as an alternative they should offer a traditional installer too imho

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
I don't know any downsides, but like we say "if it's not broken, don't fix it".
If rev17 is doing the same thing as r21, then you don't need to update.

But there are a lot of games, new games, that requires rev.19 and upwards to even run. Isn´t it so?
In that case, updating to r21 is pretty relevant.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, some games need a base56 or 57, but it can be installed in another slot (like I did).
But for convenience, installing it in 249 is fine too.
It's up to mauifrog to decide what he prefer.

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
Yes, some games need a base56 or 57, but it can be installed in another slot (like I did).
But for convenience, installing it in 249 is fine too.
It's up to mauifrog to decide what he prefer.

Ah, you mean like that.
I haven´t really gotten into installing multiple cIOS:s, mostly for as you say, convenience. But also limited knowledge of how to fiddle around with Cios:s.
But this time I´m thinking that cios38-r21 will be a good replacement for my r17.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi,