Christian Whitehead aka the Taxman confirms Sonic Mania physics were directly ported into Sonic Superstars

featured-smp-diaries2-1920x1080.jpg

Lapper, the developer of the upcoming homebrew project Sonic Studio has recently been performing deep analyses of the recently unveiled Sonic Superstars on his Classic Sonic Deconstructed @SonicStudioProj Twitter page.

His comparisons have shown very favourable results that demonstrate how similar the physics of the upcoming game are based on observations between recent gameplay footage and other classic Sonic games including Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the more recent Sonic Mania.

While the initial results were promising, we have further reason for people to breath a sigh of relief as Sonic Mania developer Christian Whitehead (aka the Taxman) has directly replied to a recent comparison. In the comment Christian stated that the physics used in Sonic Mania have been translated over to the modern 3D engine used in Sonic Superstars.

While details are scarce right now, he says he plans to share more information when it's appropriate, perhaps closer to the games release this autumn/fall.

:arrow: Source

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
That's wonderful news, but at the same time...it's just even more annoying that Taxman wasn't more a part of this project.

Sonic CD had some really annoying level design, but also some of the most out-there ideas...I refuse to be excited for a Sonic game anymore, but I'll at least be interested in seeing how this all goes.

ValentineMeikin

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What he's effectively saying, in my eyes, is that SEGA found his implementation of Sonic's classic physics to be better than anything Arzest or Sonic Team could do while keeping to the 2.5 dimensional plane of Sonic Superstars.

I wouldn't be surprised if they licensed the Retro Engine off Taxman after they semi-amicably split, in order to develop games like Sonic Superstars. He is not the only person who can create a game using the Retro Engine, it's just only him and SEGA who can officially do them with a blue hedgehog in them.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if, when people look at Amy in Origins and Superstars, she plays almost identically, since, shock horror, the underlying engine is Retro.

Reactions: SonicSlayer

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there's hope for this game yet lets just hope he doesn't balan it
While I understand what you mean, it makes no sense as the person who created Balan doesn't have anything to do with this game; outside of the original creations.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the level and music design I'm more worried about.
Personally, in Sonic games what concerns me the most is its gameplay and physics. Just look at Sonic 4 and Sonic Lost World when he stops, it feels absurdly unnatural, while saying that, SLW is a very good game on the WiiU/PC.

I read the 3DS version is a chore to play.

Reactions: Mike_77712 and Xzi

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh it is. The first few levels feel like classic SLW Wii U/PC levels, but then it suddenly goes its own way and introduces way more tedious puzzles and tasks to do that pads out the playtime and ruins the pacing and speed Sonic should be known for.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Personally, in Sonic games what concerns me the most is its gameplay and physics. Just look at Sonic 4 and Sonic Lost World when he stops, it feels absurdly unnatural, while saying that, SLW is a very good game on the WiiU/PC.

So many Sonic games also have level designs that feel like they would fit better in Super Mario World, though. Too much verticality and constant stopping.

Reactions: Vorde and Marc_LFD

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Idk about that tbh ......

It just looks like Sonic is just good at doing one single thing.
I better have that than any broken physics like they did with Sonic Forces, but it tells me I will not see something akin to Sonic Rush anytime soon

Reactions: Mike_77712

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are people gonna complained about SEGA using Sonic Mania's physics in Sonic Superstars, isn't that why people didn't like Sonic 4 cus "it didn't play like the classic games"? I swear, Sonic Fans and their bipolar opinions.

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh jeez... I'm not sure how I feel about this.
I really wish they would have just handed this over to HeadCannon.
God forbid we get another original Sonic game that's actually great.
Don't get me wrong, there are some excellent 3D Sonic titles, but as someone who grew up playing the original trilogy + CD for 1000 hours as a kid, beyond Adventure 1 and 2, I've never felt like the "3D Sonic Formula" works for me.
Anyway, here's to hoping it's a fun and enjoyable game

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are people gonna complained about SEGA using Sonic Mania's physics in Sonic Superstars, isn't that why people didn't like Sonic 4 cus "it didn't play like the classic games"? I swear, Sonic Fans and their bipolar opinions.
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but... I think it's mostly because the guy who made that physics Engine isn't really working with Sega in any capacity and they essentially just said "Ok we'll take this but you can go bye!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: i put in my birth year as 2000 instead of 2008 because i was sleep deprived as FUCK and had...