Chinese company Tencent announces new streaming console

3062589-tgp.jpg

Tencent, the Chinese company which owns Riot Games, has announced a new PC-console hybrid in the form of the Tencent Games Platform. It supposedly will run on a sixth-generation Intel chip, and its architecture will be based on Windows 10. In "TGP Box Mode", it downloads or streams PC games directly to the console. It is unknown how much it will cost, or if it is ever coming to the West, but it's an interesting foray into the game streaming industry.

:arrow:Source

Reactions: Deleted User

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We don't even know the full specs, so how would you know? Unless by "specs" you meant the fact that it's made by Tencent which is apparently the devil incarnate in your eyes.
The other console that DKB talked about. That one uses a low power arm and Chinese is my first language.
And I am not Christian.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Specs are not.
That's shallow of you. He was clearly speaking about the design purely.

And I am not Christian.
You don't have to be Christian to believe in the devil or god since every religion has their own interpretation. I personally like the idea of Lucifer existing but something that's undeniable is that a superior being somehow created the world than exist out of nothing.

I'm agnostic so I don't take offence to any religious references. :lol:

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's shallow of you. He was clearly speaking about the design purely.

You don't have to be Christian to believe in the devil or god since every religion has their own interpretation. I personally like the idea of Lucifer existing but something that's undeniable is that a superior being somehow created the world than exist out of nothing.

I'm agnostic so I don't take offence to any religious references. :lol:
My bad. In Chinese Religion, there are entities working in Hell to make sure really terrible people are trapped down there and the rest to reborn after wiping all the memories, (Religious Taoism and Buddaism had a mix in China) all few smart enough to be promoted which you become a low ranking celestial (not the kind that melts the destroyer armor with one hit). Anyway, corruption has reached these companies before anyone can react and if the government never bans it the market will not have this much corruption.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nope, was just in Beijing last month.

Its still as is, if not more party oriented since the new regime took over.

China has 5000 years history that's taught them the difference between Money and Power. Only a fool or a very young country mistakes the two.

Only Power is Power, Money can be a catalyst to attain Power, but Power always surpasses Money.

Give you an example, you are CEO of a large corporation, but the Party doesn't like you, so they make some BS corruption claim against you and seize all your assets and arrest you with no trial. What are you gonna do? Nothing. Cause Power is Power and money is nothing compared to raw power.

Tons of billionaire CEOs in China have been arrested executed and had their assets seized in the past. It happens whenever there is a new party leadership change, its called a clean sweep in the name of anti-corruption. Don't mistake China for America, China has 5000 years of history when it comes to using Power to suppress Wealth.

Fairly true. However that's a localized situation, it works that way in China. Assuming it works the same everywhere else, is not correct.

To give a well known example, look at JFK. Money was involved. A lot of it. Hire an assassin, kill the president. Money overcame raw power.

A shame that its a world ruled by those two things though, money and power.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fairly true. However that's a localized situation, it works that way in China. Assuming it works the same everywhere else, is not correct.

To give a well known example, look at JFK. Money was involved. A lot of it. Hire an assassin, kill the president. Money overcame raw power.

There is also how weapons are distributed to citizens. US civilians have lots of guns, private security is legal, and gangs are much larger (the latter two are more serious in Europe but less guns on civilians), but butcher knifes can be considered too much in China.
Weapons in ancient times are much more deadly than those made today.

Last edited by Yil,
Reactions: WhiteMaze

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually that was the opposite case, Kennedy's were notoriously wealthy, and they rose to power due to wealth, but lost their power because the people who had real power wanted the Kennedy's out.

So it was again, Power overcoming Wealth.

But you are partially right, in the USA money does overpower raw power, which says a lot about the many issues Americans are having. Money should never overpower, Power.

The Wall St bailout and subsequent golden parachutes is a prime example of Money overpowering Power. In China every single CEO of the bailed out companies would have been executed and their assets seized and each investment bank would be absorbed by the state and would have become crown corps with state appointed puppet CEOs, and no Wall St. investment banker would ever dare to pull the same stunt again, cause they know they'd be killed and their assets would be seized.

I think the natural state of things is that Power should always triumph over wealth. The US sadly has it wrong.

If you run your company into the ground and are forced to take tax payer bailout money, you should have your personal assets seized and be executed, that's the Chinese way. I think it works out better against corporate corruption.

Last edited by KSP,

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Actually that was the opposite case, Kennedy's were notoriously wealthy, and they rose to power due to wealth, but lost their power because the people who had real power wanted the Kennedy's out.

So it was again, Power overcoming Wealth.

But you are partially right, in the USA money does overpower raw power, which says a lot about the many issues Americans are having. Money should never overpower, Power.

The Wall St bailout and subsequent golden parachutes is a prime example of Money overpowering Power. In China every single CEO of the bailed out companies would have been executed and their assets seized and each investment bank would be absorbed by the state and would have become crown corps with state appointed puppet CEOs, and no Wall St. investment banker would ever dare to pull the same stunt again, cause they know they'd be killed and their assets would be seized.

I think the natural state of things is that Power should always triumph over wealth. The US sadly has it wrong.

If you run your company into the ground and are forced to take tax payer bailout money, you should have your personal assets seized and be executed, that's the Chinese way. I think it works out better against corporate corruption.

Even though I understand your point, this is all very very debatable. Depends on how you see each point.

Firstly, on the JFK subject, you can say that it was either Power over Money, or Money over Power. Kennedy could have been killed due to a powerful person disliking him, or due to a crazy wealthy idiot hiring a gunman. And every other possibility in between of course.

It is indeed true that the Kennedy's were wealthy, but that was hardly the only reason why they rose to power. But there are a lot of assumptions in what you're saying, when in my opinion, Money and Power can always overcome each other. One is not more "powerful" than the other. It's all down to the circumstances of each case.

And finally, I'm not here defending the USA. I want to make that clear right off the bat. The USA commits many mistakes, is as corrupt as any other country and it's been a long time since the "American Dream" lifestyle is dead, for 80% (or more) of the population. So even though it is a "young" country, the USA is by no means "more or less" incompetent than China. As we all know, China not only suffers from a severe overpopulation issue, but conditions for the majority of people are far, far below the USA standards in comparison. Killing people accused of corruption, has hardly (if at all), solved the corruption issue as well. The very fabric of the Chinese communism and ideals are flawed, just as much as the American capitalism.

At the end of the day, China with its 5000 years of history and wisdom, suffers from some of the worst and most inhumane conditions to its population, it has not solved any of the issues that plague other superpower countries, and last but not least, has managed to acquire for itself a horrible reputation worldwide, often related to poor quality products and other things that I don't think is necessary to mention here.

So in conclusion, I'm just here giving my 2 cents. Neither the USA, EU, China, Russia, just to name a few, have any sort of perfect system going on. They are all flawed in their own ways.

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I understand your point, this is all very very debatable. Depends on how you see each point.

Firstly, on the JFK subject, you can say that it was either Power over Money, or Money over Power. Kennedy could have been killed due to a powerful person disliking him, or due to a crazy wealthy idiot hiring a gunman. And every other possibility in between of course.

It is indeed true that the Kennedy's were wealthy, but that was hardly the only reason why they rose to power. But there are a lot of assumptions in what you're saying, when in my opinion, Money and Power can always overcome each other. One is not more "powerful" than the other. It's all down to the circumstances of each case.

And finally, I'm not here defending the USA. I want to make that clear right off the bat. The USA commits many mistakes, is as corrupt as any other country and it's been a long time since the "American Dream" lifestyle is dead, for 80% (or more) of the population. So even though it is a "young" country, the USA is by no means "more or less" incompetent than China. As we all know, China not only suffers from a severe overpopulation issue, but conditions for the majority of people are far, far below the USA standards in comparison. Killing people accused of corruption, has hardly (if at all), solved the corruption issue as well. The very fabric of the Chinese communism and ideals are flawed, just as much as the American capitalism.

At the end of the day, China with its 5000 years of history and wisdom, suffers from some of the worst and most inhumane conditions to its population, it has not solved any of the issues that plague other superpower countries, and last but not least, has managed to acquire for itself a horrible reputation worldwide, often related to poor quality products and other things that I don't think is necessary to mention here.

So in conclusion, I'm just here giving my 2 cents. Neither the USA, EU, China, Russia, just to name a few, have any sort of perfect system going on. They are all flawed in their own ways.
Yes its true both sides are flawed in their own way. There is no such thing as the perfect system of human governance.

Communism is flawed and China knows it, and has since abandoned all communist notions and has since become a Totalitarian state with Capitalist Agendas. Problem with Communism is human beings do not want to be equal hence the system is flawed.

Democracy's fundamental flaw lies in the exact opposite, in that people elected in a democracy do not have the benefit of the state in mind but rather have the desire to be elected in mind. A lot of the times the benefit of the state has nothing to do with the ability to sway the people, in fact the opposite is usually true. False promises and lower taxes sway the people, but are very rarely good for the state.

At the end of the day, its really homogenizing the benefits of each system leads to a better system. I think in the end, all "Isms" are flawed, its always the middle path that leads to a better way. But regardless, each system as is, is currently flawed.

Under the Chinese system, the Wall St, Bankers who manipulated a fragile system to make themselves wealthy at the cost of tax payer doillars would have been executed and assets seized, and the people would have had justice, but that same Chinese system wrongfully executes tons of good people every year for self serving reasons. So neither is right, but there is right in both.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes its true both sides are flawed in their own way. There is no such thing as the perfect system of human governance.

Communism is flawed and China knows it, and has since abandoned all communist notions and has since become a Totalitarian state with Capitalist Agendas. Problem with Communism is human beings do not want to be equal hence the system is flawed.

Democracy's fundamental flaw lies in the exact opposite, in that people elected in a democracy do not have the benefit of the state in mind but rather have the desire to be elected in mind. A lot of the times the benefit of the state has nothing to do with the ability to sway the people, in fact the opposite is usually true. False promises and lower taxes sway the people, but are very rarely good for the state.

At the end of the day, its really homogenizing the benefits of each system leads to a better system. I think in the end, all "Isms" are flawed, its always the middle path that leads to a better way. But regardless, each system as is, is currently flawed.

Under the Chinese system, the Wall St, Bankers who manipulated a fragile system to make themselves wealthy at the cost of tax payer doillars would have been executed and assets seized, and the people would have had justice, but that same Chinese system wrongfully executes tons of good people every year for self serving reasons. So neither is right, but there is right in both.
Perhaps there is no more need of humanity on this planet and death would bring peace to all of us. Nor would I trust any entity to fix it. Perhaps beings such as human was not supposed to exist on this planet. Know that any straggle can bring destruction to everything else precise of this world.
The cosmic spoke to me that what I seek is far beyond the control of any human and that I should leave it be, let not my mind be consumed. Or perhaps a life so minor as mine can do some good to the rest, if corruption are not to run in wilder shapes, I know not.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That controller doe...why even bother changing the middle "X" symbol? I'm surprised Micro$oft hasn't sued already.
There are no copyright law in China. By the way you seem to be forced to use Tencent's crappy platform.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Man, after these several past replies, I almost forgot this was a thread about a video game console, not a philosophy and politics club.

True. A very enlightening conversation though to say the least.

In any case, I will remain skeptical about this new streaming console. And before someone accuses me of being against China:

By all means Tencent, surprise me.

Make this a great system, better than the competition and I will be the first to recommend it to others, and to criticize the current giants: Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. Because at the end of the day, I'm not part of the Nintendo / Sony / Microsoft "Shiny Knight Squad Defenders" like many people on this forum.

If Tencent makes something better than what they offer, I don't give half a crap. I'll give Tencent the deserved credit.

Last edited by WhiteMaze,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

In any case, I will remain skeptical about this new streaming console. And before someone accuses me of being against China:

Make this a great system, better than the competition and I will be the first to recommend it to others, and to criticize the current giants: Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. Because at the end of the day, I'm not part of the Nintendo / Sony / Microsoft "Shiny Knight Squad Defenders" like many people on this forum.

If Tencent makes something better than what they offer, I don't give half a crap. I'll give Tencent the deserved credit.
No good games ever came to their platform, and none need even the weakest of smartphone.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't see why you mention Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. It's not like this is a regular gaming console with its own exclusives. It runs on Windows, and will only be able to play the games you can already play on your PC. If anything, you should be comparing it to Nvidia Shield or Steam Machines.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't see why you mention Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. It's not like this is a regular gaming console with its own exclusives. It runs on Windows, and will only be able to play the games you can already play on your PC. If anything, you should be comparing it to Nvidia Shield or Steam Machines.

I mentioned the 3 big gaming giants, just in case Tencent decides to do something more out of this new console that could potentially pose a competition to them. I could have mentioned Nvidia or Steam, definitely the more direct competitors at this point as you said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: