• Total voters

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The cheat function is very handy.  Its just a shame though they couldn't somehow turn the wifi off when you added the cheats.  But I think once you cheat and save it the cheats are unlocked already on the save so it doesn't matter anyway.  Nintendo are to blame for this for not implementing a system so copied games can't be played online.  If everyone had to own the original no one would be cheating online.

Yeah, cause there's no such thing as an Action Replay for original DS carts anyway.
huh.gif

And you blame Nintendo for allowing copied games online... Do you seriously think they can control that? They're not like allowing us to use any sort of copies, they just can't do much against it...

They could have always put some kind of unique code on the card. When you go online it looks at the unique code and lets you online. If the code has been use a few times online, they ban the code so even the original online title wouldn't work.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But that takes away the fun of doing it yourself! thats how I see it

But most people don't see any fun in playing a lame rpg for 20 hours just to build up a character so that they can play the fun part (battling others).

that would be like having to spend weeks wandering aimlessly in street fighter before you got to fight a character.

As long as you play someone with pokemon at the same level as yours, whats the problem? (you even have an advantage of playing the game more than them).

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Two times the same crap in a row. Stop whining people, god damn it U_U . There's a difference between cheating and editing/modding. Cheating is if you want to win at all cost although you suck at online gaming. This is bad but nothing in this world can prevent it except knowing the people.

Somebody said Punkbuster? You a sick moron? PB is one of the biggest failures in the history of anti-cheat ( right next to VAC )! If you know at least a bit about programming games you would know that unless you are driving a heavy client-server architecture you have no chance to do something against cheating at all. Those crying us a river here because slot1 allows to cheat should first learn that we talk here about a P2P ( peer-2-peer ) gaming system. A P2P is by itself completely unsecure by definition. Slot1 cheating is there as much the cause of the problem as turning on a lighter thinking that this is the cause for global warming U_U

Last but not least editing ( to come back to the pokemon example ) is for having some fun with the game outside the stupid boundaries set by the developers. If you don't know what a good game is and you think that only doing 20 hours the same boring crap is the right thing to do then I pity you ( go play some Deus-Ex and then we talk again about 20h stupid grinding for nothing

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Nintendo knows about the Flashcard problem but suresly?

How many percent in the world that have the DS and a flashcard?

Theres maybe only 100.000 people using flashcars?
And if you see that there is sold about 10Million consoles then it is'ent much.

*EDIT* Some information may not be real but only to give an idea
wink.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
49 said yes and only 6 said no?

Wow, you all fail. Dragonlord is completely right on all his points.

[EDIT] OK fine. You don't all fail, you just overreact sometimes. Bad choice of words.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the point of a "game" is that everyone has the same limits/boundaries. cheats break these limits and so it can no longer be considered a game. it's like playing sports in real life and one team is on steroids and your team isn't... it won't be fun. equal competition is the only thing that will give you lasting fun and not a 30 min power trip.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Modding for fun and OFFLINE is cool and fun too, now ONLINE its different.. Whats the point in playing a game with someone that is cheating? You cant win fair and square, tell me thats fun... if you do certainly like to cheat and ruin other players fun.

by the way, Mewgia we all fail? wow i didnt know NOT liking to cheat meaning we are all losers. HACKSFORLIFE am i rite?

Dragonlord

Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
You all fail because you don't understand the difference between modding and cheating. If both sides agree to use a certain mod to have fun with each other this is ok. If somebody cheats to win at all costs without a fair battle this is cheating.

Here the poll is if this cheating ability on slot-1 causes this cheating. This is nonsense as if on both ends are fair players nothing happens. If though on one end is a cheater he will cheat you no matter if he has a slot-1 card or uses some other tricks.

In this regard the anwser "Yes" in the poll is retarded and if you chose it you don't know how games are programmed or how online cheating in games is done.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, DragonLord is right, we all agree to infinite health in metroid, it's t3h modding of stupid boundaries made by developers, who needs decreasing hp. /sarcasm off

No, but seriously, while taking unfair advantages is plainly stupid and made by some retarded players for other retarded players, it brings upon many ... hmm, perspectives like finding hidden levels, some other stuff that developers didn't want us to see and par that with hacking skills you cen even write a mod for the game (ie. Mario 64 DS test level). But using it other than that is... well... kind of lame, sure i don't mind if a player uses cheating to get all possible things in the game with two lines of hex altering instructions because most games are pure skill anyway, but using cheating to surpass the balance limit is just plain annoying (infinite HP, one hit KO) even to that extent that i wanted to develop a code that would mess other players save data (not doable
tongue.gif
) or a thing that would brick their ds'es via wifi (not doable either). So even though i picked "yes" in the poll, i must answer the topic creators question (first post) as a "no"because they're two different things. Cheating online makes it unfairplayable, but slot-1-2-whatever cheat function's isn't to blame, there were cheats wayyy long before them , and there will be long after. As long as there are spoiled rotten kids who think "I have leetz skillz coz i huv infiniev ejczpi via ARDES" there will be cheating. All we can hope for is some kind of security that would put the games variables outside of cheating devices reach so infinite hp-like cheats won't be useable anymore, or maybe some other stuff heck, i'd even let nintendo pull off a sony by suing AR DS company xD.

P.S - halfway through I lost my real point so if you understand what I was trying to say I must congratulate you
smile.gif

pelaxag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheating is pretty retarded in games like mario kart and metroid, but im fine with cheating in pokemon. Because it is a Friend code based wifi game!

Dragonlord

Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
@rashef: For preventing cheating on the DS you would first require a client-server based game environment. Unfortunately exactly this Nintendo can not provide. What we have is simple Peer-2-Peer environment which is cheap to setup but insecure from the very beginning. The only choice to keep things fair is playing only with people you know. I am also not very fond of the friends code system for the same matter so only the know-your-pals option is left.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I remember seeing a post in the forum saying how fun it was to play against two players cheating with infinite health in metroid, Funny isnt it... and rashef couldnt be more right.

BUT these new flashcards are helping everyone that has it cheat even more easily into the games.

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Dragonlord:

Your missing an obvious point though, you contend that "cheating" is okay if both parties mutually agree. I'm sure no one here who dislikes cheating is mutually agreeing to cheat. The difference is we have some people playing beyond the parameters of the game, and some people who are not. So whether or not cheating is okay when there are two cheaters involved is a different issue, this topic would be geared towards those playing within the bounds of the game, versus people who are not.

If you and a buddy both decide that you can carry a soccer ball with your hands when you decide to play a game, than its okay, no harm no foul, everyone is happy, but if you never agreed to that and were playing someone else in a game and they picked up the ball and threw it in the goal, you'd be quite upset. (Or at least you'd say it didn't count.) The fact is, it's okay when everyone involved agrees it is and it's not okay when some people don't want to play that way. All I'm saying is the people voting against cheating are the people who didn't agree to play with their hands, if you follow the analogy. (I talk in analogies often, forgive me.)

Also, it's a remarkably weak argument to say people who want to grind all those hours are somehow deluded, that they should in fact cheat, and they are merely making the game worse for themselves by not cheating. The very fact that people are upset with it should be enough to establish that there are people who do find a certain degree of satisfaction of going out and building their team, instead of merely creating it.

Also you're definition of cheating is skewed: "Cheating is if you want to win at all cost although you suck at online gaming." Cheating can fall short of outright blatant god-mode like cheating. If we had the same exact pokemon for example, and all mine had stats that were ten higher than yours (in a way that was not intended) that would not necessarily make me a win at all costs "cheater" my pokemon would still be beatable, but I've stacked the deck in my favor by giving my team an advantage that a player who is not cheating could not achieve.

So I do not have much ill to say to people who do indeed cheat, if you are playing people who accept that and are cool with it, than I do not mind, no one is getting hurt. Those like me, however, do like to play the game, build our team and see what has come from our efforts. I find that there is a good amount of skill to be found in finding players capable of making great teams when they don't have access to the full library of pokemon. A certain ingenuity, if you will. To me that beats Dial-A-Mew anyday, but that's just me, and I should have the right to know if I'm playing someone who is playing a modified version of the game I'm playing, or the same one as me, which sadly, is not always the case.

It's the reason why my friends list is filled with people I know in person, so I don't have to contend with receiving badly hacked pokemon, or cheaters.

Dragonlord

Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Your missing an obvious point though, you contend that "cheating" is okay if both parties mutually agree.
Nope. Modding/Editing is okay if both sides agree. So for example if you say you would like to use a pokemon from some other game ( that you earned there the usual way ) but you can not take it over due to game restrictions ( you need a full pokedex to be able to move pokemons from older games ) and the other is fine with it then this is no problem. The same goes if we two want to make a bit a special fun match where we say for example to use pokemons only at base stats ( no items, all stat modifiers set to 0, no "skills" ) then this is nowhere near cheating. We simply make things more interesting. Like said Modding is not cheating.

QUOTE said:
If you and a buddy both decide that you can carry a soccer ball with your hands when you decide to play a game, than its okay, no harm no foul, everyone is happy, but if you never agreed to that and were playing someone else in a game and they picked up the ball and threw it in the goal, you'd be quite upset. (Or at least you'd say it didn't count.)
Which is no contradiction to my words. Modding the rules of a game is okay if you and your friend see some fun in doing so. Not the first time we played some games in a group and decided to change the rules a bit to make things more interesting. Again no cheating involved but modding of the rules for uping the fun.

QUOTE said:
Also, it's a remarkably weak argument to say people who want to grind all those hours are somehow deluded, that they should in fact cheat, and they are merely making the game worse for themselves by not cheating. The very fact that people are upset with it should be enough to establish that there are people who do find a certain degree of satisfaction of going out and building their team, instead of merely creating it.
Objection! I never said people are deluded grinding like hell. I simply stated that grinding 20h has not nearly as much depth ( or gameplay experience ) than playing for example Deus-Ex. The game is ( from a developers point of view ) very "shallow" in gameplay experience ( which means after some time you have seen all there is to be seen except some more pokemons on the list which do though play the same in terms of gameplay as the rest ). If you like spending 20h for grinding then this is your problem but it is not much of depth. This is by the way one of the major problems of mmo games. Sooner or later the player is hit by the boredom factor as there is nothing new to do anymore. For some players this is enough to keep playing ( no need to master new situations as there comes always the same stuff over and over again you already know ) but others seeking to challenge their skills ( physical or mental ) get turned off quickly. Good games have a high depth to avoid this problem as much as possible. As mentioned before "unlockables" are used often in the hope to raise the depth of the game but this is a bit of an illusion so the real good and depth games use other techniques to increase depth. I hope you see where I am coming from and that I never did an attack on those who stay to the more shallow games.

QUOTEAlso you're definition of cheating is skewed: "Cheating is if you want to win at all cost although you suck at online gaming." Cheating can fall short of outright blatant god-mode like cheating. If we had the same exact pokemon for example, and all mine had stats that were ten higher than yours (in a way that was not intended) that would not necessarily make me a win at all costs "cheater" my pokemon would still be beatable, but I've stacked the deck in my favor by giving my team an advantage that a player who is not cheating could not achieve.
Like in crimes it is not important if you did an action but that you wanted to do it. If I try to murder you but fail I am still guilty of attempted murder although I have not carried out this act properly. The same is with cheating. It does not count if you win by cheating but that you attempted to cheat your opponent. This is also why you can get banned on mmo games for attempting a cheat or talking about how you can cheat although you never really tried out said cheat. This also holds true here. If I temper with the game in a way to get myself an advantage over the other player in the sole wish to beat him at higher chance than without said modification then it is cheating. Thus what counts is for what purpose you want to modify the game. Hence this simple "editing = cheating" equation is he screwed up definition in this place as it does not hold true.

( ... )and I should have the right to know if I'm playing someone who is playing a modified version of the game I'm playing, or the same one as me, which sadly, is not always the case.
Sure you have this right and this is why fair players ask you before if you want to play unmodified. Usually this question though is only required if you know each other already. But the DS System itself has no way of ensuring you that the other one is playing fair no matter if using a slot-1 device, an editor or other means. The Slot-1 is therefore only one way you can do a mischievous edit but by far not the only one. It would be nonsense to accuse the slot-1 of increasing cheating which is already present since a long time. I remember well enough the discussion stirred up by somebody quitting on a mario kart game to not get a loss counted. This had not been a slot-1 verdict but a simply quitting verdict. Hence the major problem is the DS System and against this you can only fight by playing people you know. And with people you know some modding is okay if you want to spice things up a bit. That's the bottom line of what I said.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
@Dragonlord - Yeah, you're right at some aspect, Nintendo should scrap those... peer-2-server(while searching) then peer-2-peer game programming idea, while it's cheap at costs it has some limitations and as we all know it's not very efficent (no lobby system, no serversided cheat detection etc.). Yet however cheat protection can be programmed into the game itself by various means like putting vital variables outside of cheat devices limited(?) reach, or by randomizing their placement each time heck even a randomizing + cheatcheck option is doable, it's just a matter of programming done to the games which the lazy programmers don't want to do. Either way we have insecure networks of sorts but seriously, how much % of players cheat ? 10 ? 15? 20? There's still the rest of the legitimately playing players and no slot-1 cheat enabled function would change it. If they wanted to cheat theu wouldv'e done it anyway long ago with other tools.

@Hero-Link - They're not helping much, they're just integrating a function that was doable a long ago with other means, besides it's not like they have "Look at mez, i'm t3h flashcart with cheatfunkszyn, pl3z chitzz wif meh" popups everywhere... i'm almost sure that a few dozen of people wouldn't even notice it if it wasn't listed in the firmware changelog. The real thing to blame is ARDS, Gameshark, Codebreakers and other shit like this... sure a nice helpful tool to backup your saves but IMO they never should have make it's other functions. If it weren't for those most of the "what's ar codes for XXX" guys/girls would propably be "XXX is extra hard to get so I have to play extra hard to get it".

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Dragonlord:

Still, this thread wouldn't be about people who agree to both change the rules to up the fun, that whole arguement is besides the point of this topic. For people who say "cheating is spoiling online fun" they are ones obviously not modding/editing who are having trouble weeding out people who are from people who are not. Otherwise why would they be voting that cheating is spoiling the gameplay?

So yes, two people modding/editing is entirely okay (as I said I have nothing ill to say of "cheaters") it's just that it's not the case that everyone playing is on the up and up.

Also it's really only semantics to say modding/editing do not equate to cheating, since it can and cannot. You could cheat by editing, and you could be gold. So when people refer to cheating, they should be quite obviously referring to the times that modding/editing has adversely affected how fair the game is. I'm quite sure you wouldn't have modders complaining about agreeing to play other modders.

All in all, I'm just trying to say that this topic is more about people who are running into difficulty playing people who "mod/edit" games who do not do so themselves, and problems presented as such. I do not think that the point that modders can play other modders to have fun is actually all that related. It's a different point, and while I think it's correct, modders can agree to play whatever modified version of the game they please, it still does not affect the argument of people who are not modding/editing who are unwittingly playing people who are, and are having worse times for it.

mattwo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO there is no way to tell over the net if someone is cheating. Dragonloard does have point, if there is no peer 2 server 2 peer style intervetion, then no, I suppose you couldn't prevent hacking SERVER side but, prehaps an ISP cop-guy (or w/e) could track people downloading updates to their flashcard or something after taking controll of a website owned by one of their manufacturers and bust the person for online cheating AND iligeal downloads (the things you put on the carts to play)

Bishmality

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a R4DS with the new Cheat database. I ran MarioKart with cheats enabled (press select of bullet bill) and i went into WFC and i started a online game with these people. And the thing was the cheats didnt work! I dont know but i think Nintendo bans cheats or somethin cause it wont work at all for me

2wirends

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol... hm

for pokemon, i just mod the pokemon so that they are perfectly obtainable with information from serebii....

rather than spending 20+ hrs of E4 cycles... i just hack them to lvl 100s... -.-

jolteon with hidden power ICE would be really hard to get.... -.-

its just easier to get your ideal pokemon with the pokesave...

------

and yes, i agree for the other INFINITE craps of the other games... that is whack....

Tetris Sticks -.- .... damn...

its a huge difference between getting owned by a series of Tetris sticks and some guy who does a double tetris in 20 seconds... haha

--- i own a slot2 supercard.. so i dont have an easy cheat method.... pokemon seems to be the only one where i "cheat" a little.

AntvgX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
it just i more proud of myself when i beat someone with a pokemon i raised patiently for weeks and now i see a result.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Meth cake lol