Changing to Linux

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys

I am sick of Windows XP constantly crashin and being virus infected so I am upgrading to Linux. I have several questions though.

1. What distrubution should I use(I am used to Windows XP)?
2. What porgram do you use in place of Microsoft Word,Powerpoint Excell,etc?
3.I can use Firefox for the internet so I am set there.
4. How do you uninstall Windows from your System?
5. Is there a guide for all of this?
6. Is Songbird good for Media playing or is ther something better?
7. Can I have wireless internet going from Windows XP to Linux. ?
8.Can I play most games(I dont care that much for most games but if can play Soldat its cool)?
9. Can I still use my wireless internet(same question as 8 I think)

If there is anything else I need to know can you please tell me. Thanks

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
1.Ubuntu is good i heard
2.Openoffice is a good pack
3.ya
4.Just install ubuntu on a seperate partition and format the partition that holds windows
5.google is your best friend
6.i dont know, i only use media player for playing my music or sometimes Itunes to sort out and organise my songs
7.dont know
8.most likely, but if you cant, theres a windows emulator available that will allow you to run any program.Be warned though, it needs quite a bit of power. Youre current setup might not be able to handle it(DEFINETELY upgrade the ram, 1(2x512) or 2(2x1) gig running at 800/667 mhz should be good)
9.again, i dont know

Hope this helped

btw. if you have more than 1gig of ram, or 1gig +a good flash drive, then try switching to vista.
Its just like XP but a lot more"shinier" and a bit more responsive

had no viruses at all and i use AVG, i dont frequently run tests but i never get issues with viruses

Edit:i fixed it, it should be in the right order now

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I also dont like XP because it costs money and I am a 15 year old who spends his pay on crap(My MP4 watch is a indicator of this
biggrin.gif
). XP also wants me to register my Windows XP and it say I "may" be a victim of software counterfieting, I damn well know I am. I have a 2.6G proccesor,80GB hard drive,128 Video Card(Forget brand) and 512 of RAM(RAM will be upgraded eventually) so that will probally work. I also want no trace of Windows on my system
biggrin.gif

EDIT- I have chosen Ubuntu as the operating sytem I just want deffinite answers to the rest of the questions. xcalibur798 I think you muddled the questions up.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Soory for the double post but I have no idea what my computer is. It is one of these 3

Standard personal computer (x86 architecture, PentiumTM, CeleronTM, AthlonTM, SempronTM)

64bit AMD and Intel computers

Sun UltraSPARC based

I think my is classed as a Pc but I just want to makes sure. When I burn it as a livecd cna I install it over Windows anytime I want to. Also I just put the CD in my Computer and restart it and it should load up as Ubuntu(are there any options in Windows I need to check to get this to work). Thanks for the help guys
smile.gif

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The LiveCD didn't work. I rebooted my computer and it loaded up XP as normal. Can someone please help me :'(.

EDIT-It says I may need to press a button to make it work in this link Link

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You probably need to set your BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive first, then the hard disk.

If you don't know how to get into the BIOS settings, you probably aren't ready for linux you should either find the computer manual and look it up, or try pressing various keys (like Delete, Insert, F1, F11, or F12 for example) while the system is booting.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I know how to access BIOS Destructobot. I just thought that if they were letting you trial it it would be auto done.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
1. Ubuntu
2. Open Office
3. yes..
4. Just delete your NTFS/FAT partition
5. probably.. google can tell you
6. Never heard of it.. In Linux I use Totem/MPlayer for videos and XMMS(Winamp clone) or Amarok(iTunes clone) for music
7. yep
8. not really.. but Soldats is quite simple.. so it should run under Wine..
9. of course u can!
tongue.gif

Poppu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dragonquest-fan.com
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
The LiveCD didn't work. I rebooted my computer and it loaded up XP as normal. Can someone please help me :'(.

If you start like that... Just stay with your XP system, 'cause even Ubuntu will make yu crazy. To answer yur question, most of your Windows's programs and games won't play on Linux. The emulator xcalibur798 talks about must be Wine and is not that good. If he's talking 'bout virtualization solutions as VMWare or qEmu it will be good for appz but even worst for games.

Yu should make work the live CD and think about migrating to linux for a few time, 'cause yu'll maybe regret it...

Windows is a good OS if yu take care of it. As Linux. (and Linux is a trash is yu don't take care of it).

EDIT : for wireless devices, use ndiswrapper to use Win Drivers
wink.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys

I am sick of Windows XP constantly crashin and being virus infected so I am upgrading to Linux. I have several questions though.

1. What distrubution should I use(I am used to Windows XP)?
2. What porgram do you use in place of Microsoft Word,Powerpoint Excell,etc?
3.I can use Firefox for the internet so I am set there.
4. How do you uninstall Windows from your System?
5. Is there a guide for all of this?
6. Is Songbird good for Media playing or is ther something better?
7. Can I have wireless internet going from Windows XP to Linux. ?
8.Can I play most games(I dont care that much for most games but if can play Soldat its cool)?
9. Can I still use my wireless internet(same question as 8 I think)

If there is anything else I need to know can you please tell me. Thanks
1. Ubuntu 7
2. Openoffice
3. You can also use Opera
4. Just put in the Ubuntu installation disk and wipe everything when installing
5. ubuntu.com
6. I use RealPlayer
7. As long the internet is coming from a router
8. winehq.com

Name Soldat
Version 1.3.x

Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty" (+ variants like Kubuntu) Apr 16 2007 0.9.35. Yes Yes Platinum Brian

Soldat should install and run correctly using the latest version of Wine (which, at the time of writing, is 0.9.35).

1. You probably wanna head on over to the Soldat site to download it.

2. Then unzip the setup into your home folder, pop into a terminal and do your "wine soldat131.exe"

3. Install it like normal.

9. Yeah

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Destructobot. It was set to boot from hard drive and CD second. I switched and I am know looking at this site through Ubuntu on the LiveCd. My first impressions of Ubuntu(Linux are that its faster and it also looks better. I have been converted
biggrin.gif

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Keep this link handy. You're going to have lots and lots of questions. Most of which have already been answered thousands of times elsewhere. Use Google a lot. Use the search on ubuntuforums a lot. Half the fun of switching to Linux is figuring stuff out.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1. Ubuntu just because its easy for newbies and has an excellent community. PC Linux OS is also worth a look.

2. Open Office.

3. yup but remember that some extensions don't work under linux.

4. I usually just wipe it out while installing ubuntu

5. I donno if you will be getting edgy or feisty, so: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty
This guides cover everything you would want to know but sometimes they just won't have the answers, thats when you turn to the community for help http://ubuntuforums.org/

6. AMAROK!!!!! it resembles itunes and can sync some mp3 players. If your a winamp guy then xmms is for you.

7. yes you can as long your card has open source drivers or works with ndiswrapper. Best thing to do is google your wireless cards name and see if it has linux support. Getting wireless to work is one of the harder things to do in linux but ubuntu comes prepackaged with several wireless drivers so it might work out of the box.

8. WINE is a windows compatibility layer, it can run some windows applications and games. Check http://appdb.winehq.org/ for compatible games and applications, I think about 20-30% of windows applications are "usable" using WINE. Cedega is WINE purely for gaming but it requires an initial payment for use. If games are a concern then I suggest you dual boot, Linux has its share of awesome games(FoF) but windows games are obviously far superior.

I would also like to add a small warning. Most people get into Linux and expect it to act like windows, Linux is its own beast and everything functions differently so you have to be willing to learn to enjoy the experience.

good luck and remember to dual boot before going solo.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have installed Ubuntu and it is far better then XP. The only Games I really play are AOM and Soldat. Loads faster and theres no gay shareware popping up all over the place. I will say it again, I have been converted.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have installed Ubuntu and it is far better then XP. The only Games I really play are AOM and Soldat. Loads faster and theres no gay shareware popping up all over the place. I will say it again, I have been converted.

remember that its all about freedom and helping the community. you should start getting familiar with the terminal, this will come in handy: http://www.ss64.com/bash/

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When I get some sleep, I will learn some commands and go form there(I have always wanted to know how to program). Thanks for reading the PM Azimuth.

EDIT-It will take me a week to get used to but it is really easy anyways

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming you installed Ubuntu, if so, go to add/remove packages and search for restricted and install that. It's support for MP3/Flash/other commercial formats.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi