Certain Danganronpa games to be de-listed from the PlayStation Store

fixingcharysSIN.png

As Danganronpa celebrates its 10th anniversary, not every announcement has been a positive one. Announced by NIS America today was a notice regarding some of the Danganronpa games released on both the PlayStation Vita and the PlayStation 4. The publisher claims that certain Danganronpa games "will no longer be available for purchase from NIS America" soon, and that they will be pulled from sale. The PlayStation Vita releases of Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Goodbye Despair, Killing Harmony, and Ultra Despair Girls are to be removed from sale, with the first game, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls the first of which to be taken down, on August 31, 2020.

While no actual reason was given as to why these games are being de-listed, the most likely cause is related to the rights to publish the series. Barring the mobile and Steam versions of the games, NIS America localized and published Danganronpa franchise titles, until Spike Chunsoft opened its own western publishing studio. However, despite the fact that Danganronpa 1.2 Reload, a collection of the first two games, was also published by NIS America, it isn't included in the list of games that will be removed.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair will be pulled on September 4th, while Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony will be delisted for both PS4 and PSV on September 25th. Whether these games will be re-released or re-published on the same platforms through Spike Chunsoft in North America and Europe is yet to be announced.

:arrow: Source

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure the reason this is happening is the Danganronpa license is most likely reverting to Spike Chunsoft.

The PS4 release of Danganronpa V3, and the Vita releases for all four games are completely owned by Spike Chunsoft. The PS4 ports of 1 and 2 were done by NISA, so they probably own rights to that port and that port alone.

The Steam versions will most likely not be taken down and just have their contentids transferred over to Spike Chunsoft, which isn't really doable with PSN titles as far as I know.

D

Deleted User

Vita's swan song.:(

I always found the battle royale thematic completely dumb anyway, so that's not a game I'll miss.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The nisaeurope store still has the physical release of Ultra Despair Girls for PS4 up for under 25 quid... none of the Vita games are left in stock though - wish I'd picked a couple of them up when they were dirt cheap in their "sale of the week"s.
I prefer the animé to the games, but I like the general premise for the stories quite a bit.
I always felt they were somewhere between Ace Attorney and the Zero Escape games, yet somehow nowhere near as good as that concept should be.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Danganronpa has some following, but I never actually played it. Maybe it's because I'm not really into VNs and prolly just get bored with it, but I feel like I should give it a shot. Which game should one start with, the best entry point for a total stranger?

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Danganronpa has some following, but I never actually played it. Maybe it's because I'm not really into VNs and prolly just get bored with it, but I feel like I should give it a shot. Which game should one start with, the best entry point for a total stranger?
The series is pretty continuity-heavy, so you want to start with the first one. The series goes like this

Danganronpa
Super Danganronpa 2
Danganronpa Another Episode - Ultra Despair Girls (Technically in between 1 and 2, but references both, so you want to play it third)
Danganronpa 3 (An anime series that concludes the story
Danganronpa V3 (New setting unrelated to the original, but references the original and the series in a meta-way, so you still need to do the previous stuff first.)

On the bright side, these games are similar enough gameplay-wise that while the later games have improvements made to them, the original doesn't feel outdated in any way in comparison. There is an anime adaptation of the original that, while it has to cut out a lot of the details and the things that make the story work, you can watch the first few episodes to get an idea of the setting and what you'd be getting into. (Just stop after the first murder case. You'll spoil too much, and lose out on the cast interaction between cases.)

Reactions: aMp and Stealphie

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
The series is pretty continuity-heavy, so you want to start with the first one. The series goes like this

Danganronpa
Super Danganronpa 2
Danganronpa Another Episode - Ultra Despair Girls (Technically in between 1 and 2, but references both, so you want to play it third)
Danganronpa 3 (An anime series that concludes the story
Danganronpa V3 (New setting unrelated to the original, but references the original and the series in a meta-way, so you still need to do the previous stuff first.)

On the bright side, these games are similar enough gameplay-wise that while the later games have improvements made to them, the original doesn't feel outdated in any way in comparison. There is an anime adaptation of the original that, while it has to cut out a lot of the details and the things that make the story work, you can watch the first few episodes to get an idea of the setting and what you'd be getting into. (Just stop after the first murder case. You'll spoil too much, and lose out on the cast interaction between cases.)
Oh, thanks, that's all I wanted to know

Reactions: Stealphie

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kinda feel bad for NISA though - it's not the first developer they published that's abandoned them... they'd have been sitting pretty if they still had the Atlus deal. I bought my P4G for Vita directly from their webstore for less than half the price it was selling for pre-owned (less than a quarter of the price it currently sells for pre-owned). Wish I'd bought 2 and left one sealed to sell in the future.

Last edited by duwen,
D

Deleted User

Umm what kind of games are these? And Are those bears? That one looks scary. :ninja:
Visual Novel, Murder Mystery, Puzzle Solving, Psycho-horror.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I really should play V3 and Despair Girls. Are they good? 1 was kind of good, 2 was a little too crazy.
V3 is good. some WACKY AS FUCK is in that one that blows the rest out of the water, not that the first 2 are any good.
UDG you can probably skip though. It's a Third Person Shooter and not that great, but that's just imo.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I really should play V3 and Despair Girls. Are they good? 1 was kind of good, 2 was a little too crazy.
V3 is more of a spiritual successor/alternate timeline story, but it's pretty great and also grounds things back to semi-serious delivery of 1 with occasional (but well-paced) wackiness of 2. Despair Girls is fun little shooter that explores characters like Bayakuya and Toko more, so if you liked those, you'll enjoy it. As for actual conclusion to 1/3, there's anime "Danganonpa 3", but it's rather polarizing.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's visual novelish like Phoenix Wright, but sillier and not as good.
I'd debate "sillier" - for all the wacky stylization, it explores topics such as suicide, transphobia, adolescent violence, etc., while Phoenix Wright is delightfuly cheesy front-to-back and runs mostly on dramedy adventures. Both series are equally cool though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol