Cannot access PC on Network

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have 4 PCs currently connected to my router (Win 7, XP, Ubuntu and Vista) and all but the Vista machine can communicate perfectly (sharing printers public folders etc.) However, when I try to access the Vista PC with any of them I just end up with this error:
41Xqo.png
The only difference I can think of is this PC is running Mcafee which may be blocking communications but I cannot be sure of this as I tried running Ubuntu on it and received the same message.

Both the Vista and XP PCs are connected via ethernet and the others via wireless, but apart from this there are no differences between them in the router settings (AFAIK).

Anyone got any ideas?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Vista is pretty annoying as far as this goes (they tried to add security and flexibility in it but achieved neither really).

Does the IP address work instead (same idea as the host name with the \\ to start)?

Likewise check in the network settings to make sure it is discoverable (it is frequently off by default). Despite spending the morning playing with just that on vista I can not recall the steps offhand but it should be among the standard network overview/few clicks of network options.

Also Mcafee running on a PC... why would you do that to yourself? I have certainly seen occasions where AV and firewalls tripped up simplistic sharing options but Mcafee should not be one of those.

Edit- also what Rydian said below.... must not skip basic steps.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vista is pretty annoying as far as this goes (they tried to add security and flexibility in it but achieved neither really).

Does the IP address work instead (same idea as the host name with the \\ to start)?

Likewise check in the network settings to make sure it is discoverable (it is frequently off by default). Despite spending the morning playing with just that on vista I can not recall the steps offhand but it should be among the standard network overview/few clicks of network options.

Also Mcafee running on a PC... why would you do that to yourself? I have certainly seen occasions where AV and firewalls tripped up simplistic sharing options but Mcafee should not be one of those.

Edit- also what Rydian said below.... must not skip basic steps.
Tried IP address, I can't even ping it through command prompt. (Request timed out.)
All the network settings are turned on (except for password protection, just while I try to fix it).
Mcafee wasn't my choice and changing that isn't an option.

Can you ping that machine from the others via IP?
What about via the hostname?
See above. Tried both ways, neither work.

Also, it's worth noting that under 'Attached Devices' on my router the PC is listed but, unlike the other PCs, it's 'Device Name' is not shown, just the IP and MAC addresses.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You'll have to dig around in the AV to see which setting is stopping it.
I've tried messing about with it to no avail. What's more annoying is that I can't even disable Mcafee, it's (ironically) more intrusive than a virus!

Also, when I tried running a live version of Ubuntu on the machine I couldn't connect to it then either (no AV / firewall running).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night