Candy Crush Saga devs to sue game they copied

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a nice happy world, that would be true. Currently tho, its a good way to take out competition. (Tho why even take the time to mess with small games, idk as the money they gain prob is nothing to king who has made roughly $1 Billion USD as of December.... Seems like incredible greed.)

I'm far from an idealist when it comes to the business world. That being said, poor business practices like these shouldn't be tolerated with a shrug and an utterance of "Shit happens." Abusing the law shouldn't be seen as a legitimate business tactic.

Not only are they screwing over smaller games (honestly, no one would care about CandySwipe if it wasn't for this), they're attacking completely unrelated titles. I sincerely doubt that something like The Banner Saga, for example, is in any way drawing away players from Candy Crush Saga. They appeal to entirely different playerbases.

King's copyright trolling, for lack of a better term, poisons the well. They're damaging the entirety of the gaming market, all to remove some games that aren't even competing with them to begin with.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I personally thing that trademarks should be 100% non transferable. If however the licence is allowed to expire and someone else gains the opportunity to use the TM, that's fine, but their rights to it should never precede the start date of the current owners licence.

If I went out and bought a franchise today, I should not have any legal right to attack any use of its trademarks before today.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They're trying to sue a puzzle game, that came out before theirs did, and there's many games of that type of genre, I wish them luck because they are totally gonna need it.

joepassive

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
i'm going to trademark two works: Play and Station
Now Sony gonna owe me so much cash...

reality? no.
this is so fitting into a reality show called "The Trademark Wars"

Reactions: Kippykip

hksrb25s14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im deleting candy crush, I hate people who copyright other people work and pass it as theirs.
Anyway every game I see is a bite off other people work.

Plus, why don't SEGA sue Candy crush for making their candy color and shape like sega's columns.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I think Apple was right to sue over Android actually. The Samsung i9000 was an obvious iPhone ripoff. It might be a solid tactic to piggyback Apple's extensive advertising of the iPhone by copying their trade dress, but it isn't legal and Apple was right to sue.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for being off topic buut what if nintendo sucessfully Trademarks TM? due to that being part of Pokemon then it would be f*king chaos (control TM'd by sega then nintendoo sues sega by using TM)

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Apple was the worst case of patent suing, until I see this. Bejeweled clones trying to kill each other, and soon other clones will follow until one day the ghost of the maker of Tic-Tac-Toe will sue our asses because we played the game during middle school via unauthorized copying.

This patent-war is getting disturbing.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay