can you view sprites n=on gameboy roms without hex editing?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The question was kind of answered for you in the last few threads you made -- prior to the DS and gamecube no Nintendo console had a filesystem give or take some homebrew. This meant everything got lumped together as one in a big file that you could not easily break down further.

If you put the time in you could figure out what went where with various methods ranging from simple but often ineffective (scan over it with a tile editor) to complex but highly effective (tracing).

If you just want to view sprites then you might have better luck with just an emulator and dumping them from there (get one with a tile viewer, any still being supported today and that run on a PC should have one you can look at), you may need to flank it with cheats if you have a lot of sprites you want to see. I recall you mentioned pokemon so I should also note it is one of the few franchises for which people do take the time to pull apart the game, document everything and build tools around said documentation. I am not really familiar with pokemon editing tools as I have no great interest in editing pokemon, http://www.romhacking.net/?page=uti...&perpage=20&title=&desc=pokemon&utilsearch=Go should get you started though.

Similarly have a look for sprite sheets for a game -- many people will have already ripped them and stuck them up online.

Very short version -- do a search for sprite sheets and do a search for [insert game] hacking tools. If neither of those return much of use you then get to learn ROM hacking, you can do a lot with some of the basics in it so you do not have to take it too far if you do not want to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1