Can you jailbreak stereo/surround sound system?

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, I decided to set up a sound system in my room, so I went to the storage room to get my parents' old sound system, which is a PANASONIC SC-PM08, a 5.1 system that works very well. However, it's old as fuck, and it has an Optical OUTPUT, and I was wondering if it was possible, somehow, with a jailbreak, to change this OUTPUT, to INPUT, because the sound of my TV is a turd. The system has AUX Input, but it's only stereo, and I wanted Surround... I can activate Surround, but it gets weird, because it's the system itself that amplifies the sound to surround, but it gets really weird...

Not to mention that I've never seen a sound system with an optical output.

So is there any way to convert this optical output to an optical input?

Any kind of help is welcome!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I decided to set up a sound system in my room, so I went to the storage room to get my parents' old sound system, which is a PANASONIC SC-PM08, a 5.1 system that works very well. However, it's old as fuck, and it has an Optical OUTPUT, and I was wondering if it was possible, somehow, with a jailbreak, to change this OUTPUT, to INPUT, because the sound of my TV is a turd. The system has AUX Input, but it's only stereo, and I wanted Surround... I can activate Surround, but it gets weird, because it's the system itself that amplifies the sound to surround, but it gets really weird...

Not to mention that I've never seen a sound system with an optical output.

So is there any way to convert this optical output to an optical input?

Any kind of help is welcome!
https://www.balena.io/blog/turn-you...luetooth-receivers-using-only-a-raspberry-pi/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have never really seen any "jailbreaks" (firmware mods/firmware hacks is a better search term) for systems like that beyond whatever people do for region free. If you are thinking "like rockbox but for my DVD player" then stop now.

The output here is more likely because it is a DVD player as well and thus might need such a thing.

To that end you are probably going to have to invest in other boxes to redirect signals wherever they need to go and in whatever format (HDMI audio extractors are a thing, as are bluetooth modules of various forms. Optical toslink convertors do exist but you might do well to see if there is an analogue spdif audio, usually an orange "phono" connector if memory serves, as they can be easier for some things). If you are handy with a soldering iron you might be able to tap things at signal level and just use internal amps. People do that for stereo cds to hack in line in or bluetooth for their car all the time, and would not be terribly different for this other than you having 6 channels rather than 2.

Reactions: DuduMil

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
And you think I didn't do that? Nothing came up, so I came here to see if anyone knows if it's possible...
Dude, what you're requesting is very complicated. I'm not that much into this, but if it's output, you could trace it back to the chip it's coming from, maybe rewiring could help (the signal from the chip to a external 3.5 jack)

I'm not sure if schematics could help.

Maybe a converter?

But again... turning output to input? :unsure:
No I don't think that's possible without hardware modifications.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Dudumendes
Can you post pics of your TV inputs and your Stereo Inputs?

I'm thinking, using a RCA to 3.5 cable in TV-OUT to Stereo-In and hooking speakers in your Stereo-OUT.

But depends if you have the required inputs on your systems.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't change an output to an input. That's not a thing. You won't add a digital input without extensive hardware modification.

If it's a surround system, it must have some kind of input for surround sound? E: oh it's a DVD player, I guess that's the only intended surround input.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay, I don't think you understand what I mean, so I'll explain it in a very quick and easy way.

There is an optical output, an I just want to turn it into an input, is that possible?
No it doesn't work that way. Even on a PC which you have full control over the software you install on, you can't turn an audio output into an input unless the sound card hardware already had an input/output toggle on that port. And I have never seen an SPDIF port with such a toggle.
And it likely doesn't have any facility for firmware upgrades anyway.

That receiver doesn't really have any inputs. It's clearly not designed to be used as anything other than a DVD player, meaning the 5.1 speakers can only be used with DVDs. That might have made sense at the time when DVDs were the standard but nowadays it makes it kinda worthless.

I would suggest you get a new amplifier, and keep using your existing speakers (if they are decent quality). A new amp will have plenty of HDMI ports, ARC/eARC and such, which gives you more capabilities than SPDIF offers anyway. SPDIF is limited to plain Dolby Digital and DTS. No Dolby Digital Plus, Atmos or anything like that. A new amp doesn't have to cost a lot either.

That's stereo. There is no way to get surround sound into that DVD player because it's designed to just be a DVD player and the only input it has is stereo.

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@Dudumendes
Can you post pics of your TV inputs and your Stereo Inputs?

I'm thinking, using a RCA to 3.5 cable in TV-OUT to Stereo-In and hooking speakers in your Stereo-OUT.

But depends if you have the required inputs on your systems.
IMG_20220509_232124.jpg
IMG_20220509_231927.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JuanMena

Sakuraibr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It indeed looks old since it only receives analog stereo signal, we don't even see a surround analog input so it likely was made to convert stereo to surround. That Digital Out was likely used for when the analog to surround conversion was done, it could send over to another surround receiver digitally.
It feels like something gimmicky from the 90s or early 2000s. A very bad match for any modern device, honestly.

Reactions: DuduMil

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's stereo. There is no way to get surround sound into that DVD player because it's designed to just be a DVD player and the only input it has is stereo.

Exremely well aware of that. There is no way to do what the op wants so I offered the only viable solution. At least they can get stereo sound that will be FAR better than the stereo sound coming from the tv speakers and also "Super Surround". Whatever that is. I will assume it either mimicks the front l/r to the surround l/r, or it's a simulated surround mode akin to DPLII. As you pretty much already stated, the only real surround that old machine can do is Dolby Digital from it's built in DVD player.

Oh wow, your stereo must be like heaven.

Lmao. Heaven? That stereo is like 20 years old. If that's heaven, I wonder what you would compare something like a Yamaha RX-A8A to.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Exremely well aware of that. There is no way to do what the op wants so I offered the only viable solution. At least they can get stereo sound that will be FAR better than the stereo sound coming from the tv speakers and also "Super Surround". Whatever that is. I will assume it either mimicks the front l/r to the surround l/r, or it's a simulated surround mode akin to DPLII.

Lmao. Heaven? That stereo is like 20 years old. If that's heaven, I wonder what you would compare something like a Yamaha RX-A8A to.
My stereo is 20 years old too. Yours is really better than mine, considering I only have 2 Speaker outputs.

You should invest in a modern Stereo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol