Can somebody please give me a brief explanation about the following...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by terns21, Jun 15, 2017.

1. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    Hi... you could say am a newbie in the 3ds scene though i know a a lot about the psp scene. So here goes, just bought a new 3dsxl and i think its already in al9h and luma (like I said, I think), i can already install games thru FBI and is already playing games on it. But I was inform here to update my cfw to b9s, and before I do, I'd like to ask some questions...

1. What is AL9H? What does it do? What is its benefit? How do I know if my system is in AL9H?
    2. What is Luma? What does it do? What is its benefit? How do I know if my system is in Luma?
    3. What is B9S? What does it do? What is its benefit?

I'd like to know all this stuff before I can even think of tinkering my system.

2. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    this is all copied from 3ds.guide:

3ds.guide

terns21 and Byokugen like this.
  3. Ace212

Ace212 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2016
    United States
    1. *A9LH (Arm9LoaderHax) was a widely used homebrew entrypoint before B9S (Boot9Strap) released. It allows for arm9 code execution on near boot, after the bootrom has been locked. This used to be the earliest form of code execution we could achieve.
    2. Luma3DS is a CFW (custom firmware) for the 3DS, that patches the Official 3DS firmware to add features and remove unwanted ones (Such as application signature checks, meaning we can install homebrew as titles on the home menu)
    3. B9S (boot9strap) is the currently used homebrew entrypoint, that replaces A9LH. It's much easier to set up than A9LH in my opinion, but isnt much different from A9LH to the end user. The difference is that with it, we are able to gain the earliest form of code execution on the 3DS, even earlier than A9LH, as it exploits the 3DS' Arm9 Bootrom (aka Bootrom9, or Boot9) to gain Arm9 code execution.

If you are needing to ask what A9LH or Luma is, you more than likely do not have it installed on your system. You can check by turning off your 3DS, and turn it back on while holding select. If a text menu pops up, you have Luma installed, if not, you don't.

If you would like to install Boot9Strap and Luma3DS on your system, please follow http://3ds.guide. It is a very easy to follow guide.

terns21 and starburst like this.
  4. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    1. Simply put it's an exploit that gives us code execution at boot, allowing us to run a cfw at boot. If you have this installed you will have a file called arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of your sd card
    2. Luma is a custom firmware, or cfw. The main purpose of cfw is to patch out security checks to allow us to install and run unsigned/fakesigned content, i.e. installing games and homebrew. You can hold select on boot and if you have Luma a config screen will appear.
    3. B9S is another exploit that gives code execution at boot, but earlier in the boot process than a9lh. This one essentially gives us full control over the system. You'll have a file called boot.firm on your sd root if it's installed.

terns21 likes this.
  5. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Yugoslavia
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    ^ THIS GUY, deserves a medal

6. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    Tnx a lot.. now I get it.. A9LH is a homebrew entry point while luma is the name of the CFW. Thanks! :)

7. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    yes! but a9lh is outdated! use b9s instead!

digipimp75 likes this.
  8. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 Ace Bricker

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    Outside your windows ᕙ(◔ᗜ◔)ᕗ
    IN A9LH??? IN LUMA??? WHAT?! Also, A9LH, not AL9H. A9LH and B9S are 2 different types of ways to make a CFW work. A9LH takes over the Arm9 chip, B9S takes over the BootRom. B9S 1.2 is the newest version of these methods. Use that one. It works with a special version of Luma (the CFW), or the normal (yet unstable) version of Luma 8.0-Rosalina. Go to 3ds.guide for more info.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: THE SYSTEM WON'T COME PREINSTALLED WITH A CFW, DUH! You can't have a system "in" Luma nor A9LH or B9S. They are hacks, do you expect them to give the system to you pre-hacked? Before making a thread, refer to the noob thread (it's in the sticky thread part of this section), goddamnit.

Last edited by BlastedGuy9905, Jun 15, 2017
  9. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    Why even bother replying if you are already pissed to begin with? And sorry for sounding so dumb, duh....

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

When i bought the system (second hand), its already hacked that is why i can install games thru FBI, am just not sure what A9LH and Luma is and what they do, I think mine uses A9LH since i can see a file of that name whenever i go to micro sd card management.

Anyway, Thanks a lot!

Quantumcat likes this.
  10. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 Ace Bricker

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    Outside your windows ᕙ(◔ᗜ◔)ᕗ
    You could've stated that it was second-hand. .-.
    I thought it was a grammar typo, I thought you meant "can I" instead of "I can", since if you don't know what A9LH or B9S is, I thought it was a question.
    Sorry for sounding rude, but the noob thread is literally on the first page and you shouldn't have created this thread, since almost everything is told there.

Last edited by BlastedGuy9905, Jun 15, 2017
  11. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    No worries.

Sorry for making this thread.

BlastedGuy9905 likes this.
  12. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    What is an emunand and what is a sysnand? Can someone please explain them to me. Thanks

13. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    SysNAND = the eMMC chip built into the 3DS. Size ranges from 943 MB to 1.8 GB depending on model.
    EmuNAND = a clone of the SysNAND contents located on a hidden partition on the SD card.

Some years ago, EmuNAND was "standard" with hacked 3DSes, since modifying SysNAND was risky (could result in bricks). However, since the introduction of A9LH, EmuNAND has become less relevant. Nowadays, it's only useful for experimenting with low-level hacks without disturbing the main SysNAND, and if you have a Gateway cartridge, since Gateway has problems running on SysNAND. (Among other things, if you run Gateway on 11.3+ SysNAND, you will lose A9LH/B9S.)

terns21 likes this.
  14. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    Ah ok tnx, coz last night i tried checking if my system has luma CFW and saw that sysnand and emunand are marked X, and i don't know what they do or why they are even marked.

15. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    My version of Luma is 6.6 and using A9LH as entry point... if I update mine to B9S, do I have to follow this instruction?

16. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Only if you have an emuNAND setup.

17. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    How do i know if i have one? bought mine second-hand with cfw already installed.

18. SRKTiberious

SRKTiberious GBAtemp Regular

Sep 4, 2014
    United States
    Go into System Settings and don't touch anything, but just look at the bottom-right corner of the top screen.

Tell us what it says there.

Lacius likes this.
  19. terns21
    OP

terns21 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2017
    Canada
    Tnx everyone...just updated mine to b9s! :)

Quantumcat likes this.
  20. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Why bother replying if the OP has already been answered? Also, everyone else understood what he meant except for you. Maybe try reading a thread properly before answering next time, and don't answer unless you actually have something useful to contribute.

sleepymanakete and Toasty like this.