Hacking Can I use stock firmware for XK3Y if I already have my DVD key? (installing XK3Y on JTAG)

Derf_Jagged

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!

I was given an XK3Y for extremely cheap, and I'd like to explore all possibilities with it and document it all on the /r/360hacks wiki. I have installed it in my JTAG, as I was under the impression that all I needed was my DVD key to use it, but it seems that the install guides want you to dump your original DVD drive firmware and use it as the "Source Firmware" in Jungle Flasher. Is this true, or is there a way I can just use generic original drive firmware (like the one on the IVC wiki) as both the source and target firmware, and just change my key on it since I already know it?

I went ahead and updated the XK3Y, put a xkey.cfg on it with MENUISO=Y, and tried that, and I can press Open Tray, and it will virtually "open" (but not actually open the disc tray), then close, but it's left on "Open Tray" instead of popping up "Mixed Media Disc".

Alternatively, there isn't a way to dump drive firmware from the Xbox 360 itself is there? I'd like to avoid buying more hardware and if that's the case, I'll likely just sell off the XK3Y to someone who would use it, since I'll be removing it from my JTAG when I'm done anyway.

Any ideas?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, you can just get any stock firmware and spoof your keys to it.
I don't think you can use flashed drive firmwares tho.

Nope, can't dump it from the 360 itself but you can rebuilt a new drive FW with your drive key.
Which can be retrieved from a NAND dump with corresponding CPU key.

Reactions: Derf_Jagged

Derf_Jagged

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response!

Hmm... I went ahead and wiped the SD card, used an XK3Y recovery img to start fresh, updated the XK3Y to XK3y-02.01-4, and tried each of the three original firmwares for the Toshiba-Samsung TS-H943 variants spoofed to my key, but I still can't get the Mixed Media disc to show up. For each, it still would automatically close the tray after a few seconds when I hit Open Tray, so it's at least trying to work. I have a NTFS formatted flash drive plugged in to the USB adapter with a "games" folder, xk3y.cfg set to MENUISO=Y, and a single ISO in the games folder. Lastly, it's a Xenon console.

I'm crawling through the forums and looking for suggestions; do you have any more?

Edit: Some questions for you:
1) Should the mixed media disc show up even if the HDD/flash drive is unplugged?
2) Would the automatic close function work if the firmware was incorrect?
3) Is there a way to tell what revision my drive firmware might be? I tried all 3 (MS25, MS28a, MS28b). I had JTAG'd it on blades, so I'd assume it'd be the earliest firmware, but it's on the latest dash, and I don't think that touches the drive firmware?

Last edited by Derf_Jagged,

Derf_Jagged

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DVD drive has been flashed to accept backups?
Properly named your firmware dump "firmware.bin" when saving it in Jungleflasher?
No, it is stock and I did name it "firmware.bin". I also tried naming it "dummy.bin" but it broke the automatic drive closing.

Derf_Jagged

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, config file on both the USB and Xkey?
If there isn't a NTFS drive attached to it, it'll just refuse to show Mixed Media disc.
Just on USB. I'll try both tonight. My flash drive is NTFS. Might try another flash drive tonight just in case it's some incompatibility.

Derf_Jagged

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd try another flashdrive first yeh.
Perhaps a USB 2.0 USB harddisk.

Tried putting the xkey.cfg on the flash drive as well as the SD card and also just tried another USB 3.0 flash drive and USB 2.0 flash drive the same way. Rebuilt the SD card again, still no dice. I wish they actually used the LED for a status flag instead of just for if there's no SD card inserted.

Derf_Jagged

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Connected the FCC ribbon cables properly? doubt that's the issue tho.
Did you save it as "firmware.bin" in jungleflasher?
Yes, blue tab facing upwards when in the console on XK3Y side, and outwards on the USB adapter side (though I've heard that side is universal). I did manually save each directly as "firmware.bin" from JungleFlasher (no renaming).

I did notice that when using the USB 2.0 flash drive that it didn't close my drive after opening it. The two other 3.0 flash drives did that part fine. I'm questioning whether these dumps are "full dumps": http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Firmware

Any other ideas? Thanks for sticking with me.

Derf_Jagged

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Connected the FCC ribbon cables properly? doubt that's the issue tho.
Did you save it as "firmware.bin" in jungleflasher?

I'm a damn fool, I had the SATA cables switched on the motherboard and DVD drive side, didn't even think to double check that since it was correctly doing the automatic close function. All works now, thanks for helping me out!! :)

Reactions: DinohScene

Derf_Jagged

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you need help with it, don't hesitate to contact me!
With the wiki or with those devices? I don't currently have a Wasabi or Boxzii/X360DOCK, I'm looking to trade someone for my XK3Y or I'll sell it and buy one of them unless I can find someone willing to write pages for them.

Either way, if you'd like to contribute to the 360 Hacks Wiki, let me know and I can give you write permissions! You can reach me either on Discord (@Derf#9562) or reddit (/u/Derf_Jagged). The goal is to keep expanding it so it's to the state of the PS3 Homebrew Wiki or Original Xbox Wiki.

Reactions: DinohScene

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!