Hacking Discussion Bricked my switch by rushing a restore and deleting my 6.0.1 NAND backup

Andybpandy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

Before everyone flames me and what not for being a scrub and not learning before doing anything I'll start by saying, I ran through these forums with a fine comb. I read every thread I could on here and Reddit, and watched every Y'tube video I could. I basically was running SXOS 2.x.x on a brand new Super Mario Odyssey Edition switch running OFW 3.0.1 from factory - now here is where I went wrong.. I made a backup of my NAND for 3.0.1 but I officially updated to firmware 6.0.1 ( I have 7 or 8 burnt fuses now) which was fine, I was running EmuNAND also on SXOS at 6.0.1 too but that's now gone so probably irrelevant. I was in a rush to go back to work and nearly missing my flight, so I restored the NAND back up I had which was 3.0.1 to my 6.0.1 firmware switch to go back to stock.. I completely forgot the crucial step I had been meaning to do once I updated to 6.1.0 ( I already did one NAND backup when I had stock NAND 3.0.1 )- so completely forgot the NAND backup after upgrading firmware officially) which was to make sure I had a NAND backup of the current FW 6.0.1 I was running, which was my mistake, as I never actually planned to restore back to stock, which is what I was trying to do. Anyway fast forward, I have NAND of my official firmware 3.0.1 and my Switch is currently running 6.0.1 NAND so when I restored the NAND of 3.0.1, it will not boot, just gives me error codes and a nintendo logo that freezes/hangs then turns off etc. I've tried using Atmosphere, Reinx, Kosmos, Goldleaf etc and SXOS again via hekate to bypass fuse count, which is fine, I can get the icon/logo's for these CFW's to show up as if they are about to boot but then it goes black after that and turns off. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this, I know I will most likely have to try and follow this guide again (gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-run-any-switch-firmware-unofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/) which is a guide on here how to rebuild the NAND from scratch essentially, but I got lost on the command line parts and was unable to get etcher/python to execute properly without running into errors. Can anyone give me a hand with this? I would greatly appreciate it. I just wanted to restore it to stock so I could play online etc and now I can't use it at all. This isn't really a crying thread I just wish I could obtain some help from someone besides some links I can't follow properly or get stuck with certain parts, I understand and have accepted that it was entirely possible the whole time but alas I know some of you are amazing helpers and really knowledgeable in this area and perhaps could help me.

Thanks in advance guys, happy new year to you all.

AB

EDIT : I did not delete 6.0.1 NAND as in title, did not mean to type it like that, it is as stated here. Thanks.

Last edited by Andybpandy,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cant just downgrade to stock on a lower firmware unless you turned on autorcm and updated with choi (preventing fuse burn). That's where you went wrong. Once you upgraded officially you can never revert to the stock backup you had. But yes, you can rebuild your nand to match your fuse count and flash that. It will never be stock 3.0.1 again though.

Andybpandy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You cant just downgrade to stock on a lower firmware unless you turned on autorcm and updated with choi (preventing fuse burn). That's where you went wrong. Once you upgraded officially you can never revert to the stock backup you had. But yes, you can rebuild your nand to match your fuse count and flash that. It will never be stock 3.0.1 again though.

I understand this, and completely forgot I did not have a 6.0.1 NAND backup which is how this resulted. I thought my NAND was 6.0.1 backup but I only backed up 3.0.1 .. Can you link me where I can learn how to do this? I just want to be able to use my switch, it's been a paper weight for a few weeks now and I would love to fix it but I've wasted like 10 hours trying all these methods with no luck, whether or not user error or not, I had some errors following guides to the point etc so I was unsure where I was going wrong.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Upgrading officially make your both NAND backups useless since you cant restore them...
He can downgrade/restore old backups, but he would need to boot through non-stock bootloader every time. But yes, his fuses won't magically repair themselves.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I understand this, and completely forgot I did not have a 6.0.1 NAND backup which is how this resulted. I thought my NAND was 6.0.1 backup but I only backed up 3.0.1 .. Can you link me where I can learn how to do this? I just want to be able to use my switch, it's been a paper weight for a few weeks now and I would love to fix it but I've wasted like 10 hours trying all these methods with no luck, whether or not user error or not, I had some errors following guides to the point etc so I was unsure where I was going wrong.
Do you have any backup right now (no paragraphs = horrible reading experience)? If so, restore it (boot through any but stock bootloader to bypass fuse check) again and then update with choidujourNX to version that will match your fuses.

If you don't have a NAND backup or can't boot (this is apparently your case), just follow the link I gave you to rebuild your NAND.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
tl;dr
you fvcked up.

Sad reading that tho, we all have that one moment where no matter how careful we are somewhere along the way we will still screw up. Charge to experience 'eh?

Anyway, yeah you can rebuild your nand using Choidujour with what boot0/1 you have. The link above is pretty straightforward. Just follow the instruction carefully and make sure to double check each step so you won't repeat the same mistake.

Be careful next time and I hope you fix your console.

Andybpandy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
He can downgrade/restore old backups, but he would need to boot through non-stock bootloader every time. But yes, his fuses won't magically repair themselves.

Do you have any backup right now (no paragraphs = horrible reading experience)? If so, restore it (boot through any but stock bootloader to bypass fuse check) and then update with choidujourNX to version that will match your fuses.

If you don't have a NAND backup or can't boot (this is apparently your case), just follow the

I have tried booting Reinx, Atmosphere, SXOS, Kosmos etc.. all of them have the CFW boot screen logo & nintendo logo come up then just turn off shortly after hanging on screen for about 10 seconds. This is using Hekate to boot without the fuse check.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I have tried booting Reinx, Atmosphere, SXOS, Kosmos etc.. all of them have the CFW boot screen logo & nintendo logo come up then just turn off shortly after hanging on screen for about 10 seconds. This is using Hekate to boot without the fuse check.
My last sentence.
If you don't have a NAND backup or can't boot (this is apparently your case), just follow the link I gave you to rebuild your NAND.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Upgrading officially make your both NAND backups useless since you cant restore them...

With the sleep fix in hekate I think we can downgrade anytime even with higher fuse count no?

Maybe try using lower version of hekate?

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
With the sleep fix in hekate I think we can downgrade anytime even with higher fuse count no?
Don't know if it is in hekate (as it is only a bootloader), but atmo has it (so that you can wake downgraded console from sleep)
Maybe try using lower version of hekate?
Won't help, as he probably really bricked.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Thats what the OP tried but doesn‘t work for him. It turns off after the nintendo logo.
I know. That's why I gave him a link to "How to manually downgrade" three times already.

Maybe the restore went wrong?
Hoping it's not the NAND backup at fault here, @Andybpandy could you try to restore again and try booting via hekate?
I know. Told him to try it again and also to rebuild his NAND which in this case would be so much faster.

Reactions: Zumoly

Priyam

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I was under the impression that if we restore a lower firmware backup then we can just boot it with a custom bootloader and update it officially to match the number of burnt fuses. Is that not true?

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I was under the impression that if we restore a lower firmware backup then we can just boot it with a custom bootloader and update it officially to match the number of burnt fuses. Is that not true?

That is quite possible yes.
However OP is unable to boot even using hekate meaning either his NAND backup is corrupt or the restore process went wrong.

Reactions: Priyam

Andybpandy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know. That's why I gave him a link to "How to manually downgrade" three times already.

I know. Told him to try it again and also to rebuild his NAND which in this case would be so much faster.

I've tried rebuilding FWIW with this link prior to posting as well, about 2-3 weeks ago, I had no luck and I couldn't get the HACtool keys.txt file. Ran into errors along the way and then a bunch of errors/commands not executing/presenting as shown in guide, even when followed directly. I was more so after someone who could help me work out the kinks I encounter in this guide. Have attempted this rebuild about 5 times already and gotten stuck at the same point each time with no real progress after that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle