Hacking Bought a 2001A on 2.85 and a NOR Flasher, installed REBUG 4.81.2. Do I still need the Flasher?

SoranEbrahim00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I secured myself a never used 2001A with only 2.85 OFW installed, at the same time purchased an E3 NOR Flasher, I managed to mod the console without having to open/use the Flasher. I enabled the QA Flag on the console. I contacted the seller and I can return the Flasher, so do I really need to keep it?
I asked and the answer so far is that unless I update it to a newer OFW, or I want to mod another console I won't be needing it anymore. But what about updating to a newer CFW? Some users recommend a downgrade prior to move it to a more recent CFW. Any opinions of different scenarios appreciated. Thanks.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Once you're on CFW you can QA flag and downgrade to 3.55 easily.

The people who installed CFW when 3.55 was the latest, have never needed a flasher.

You only would need the flasher again if you accidentally install an OFW later than 3.55, or if you buy another console.

unless you think you might brick it while tinkering.

I've always been able to recover from a brick without reflashing, although I do have a FSM dongle. I didn't even own a flasher until recently.

Last edited by smf,

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
W
I secured myself a never used 2001A with only 2.85 OFW installed, at the same time purchased an E3 NOR Flasher, I managed to mod the console without having to open/use the Flasher. I enabled the QA Flag on the console. I contacted the seller and I can return the Flasher, so do I really need to keep it?
I asked and the answer so far is that unless I update it to a newer OFW, or I want to mod another console I won't be needing it anymore. But what about updating to a newer CFW? Some users recommend a downgrade prior to move it to a more recent CFW. Any opinions of different scenarios appreciated. Thanks.
Would you sell the flasher?

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you're on CFW you can QA flag and downgrade to 3.55 easily.

The people who installed CFW when 3.55 was the latest, have never needed a flasher.

You only would need the flasher again if you accidentally install an OFW later than 3.55, or if you buy another console.

I've always been able to recover from a brick without reflashing, although I do have a FSM dongle. I didn't even own a flasher until recently.
Actually then you've never hard bricked. The only way to recover from a full brick is to use a flasher to restore a backup.

SoranEbrahim00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually then you've never hard bricked. The only way to recover from a full brick is to use a flasher to restore a backup.

So, the only advantage to have a Flasher besides mod a new console, is to recover from a hard brick... but for that I'll need a backup of the NAND, right? Can I dump one with RebugToolBox?

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically yes. As for making an NOR/NAND dump. I'm not sure. I think that most software dumps are missing a chunk. IDK for sure on that. I always just made a series of verified dumps with the flasher.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I looked about and found a few items that claim to make a full dump of the system but IDK exactly how they work or if the backups are valid. The software backups from rebug (unless they changed something I'm unaware of are missing roughly 15mb or so. Which I believe to be the bootloader though I may be wrong there. Either way it's probably best to make a few dumps/verify them using the flasher. That should give you a full backup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there