Hacking Borked HDD after WBFS formating

Red Ire Lap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, i've run into a seemingly unique problem as i cant seem to find the solution anywhere on the web (possibly because it pertains to WBFS formatting). Anyways, long story short, i decided that i wanted to play some Wii games through USB, so i formatted 100GB of my 1TB HDD (WD My Book 1130 with USB3). Lo and behold after this feet was accomplished, the entire drive is unrecognizable for the most part (neither the NTFS or the WBFS partition is visible in my computer) or when it is recognized it shows as something ridiculous like 2.3 million GB in size (therefore rendering format times upwards of 600000 hours, or roughly 70 years). I used WBFS Manager 3 to format the partition. Please, I dont care if i have to format if possible. Let me know my options (other than using it in brick related activities
smile.gif
) Thanks.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st off, WBFS formatting is long dead!
Reason: Quirky, unstable HDD partition. I know, it crapped out on one of my drives back in the day...
Fix: Format your ENTIRE drive to FAT32, using FAT32 GUI formatter. google it.
Next, use Wii Backup Manager to transfer your wii games to your usb drive. Transfer a game and it will automatically create a WBFS FOLDER onto your drive, and will put the games in said folder for you, and, don't worry, any game over 4GB will be automatically split in said folder, making ALL games valid and playable. ( I've got over 200 games on my drives....)
Next, install a USB loader onto your wii, I use Configurable USB loader, works great, and is the most stable / reliable loader out there.
Also, you may want to use Modmii to update your hacked wii, is the most user-friendly windows app for updating your wii. link for that is in my sig.....

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What you will need is a reinstallation of the master boot record of the harddisk. It describes the 4 primary partitions on the harddisk and their size. When that is fixed, you will be able to reformat the partitions in a normal amount of time.

Are you sure your harddisk is compatible with the wii? (Did you check it out on the internet?) usb3.0 compatible drives have a bad reputation for the moment.

Red Ire Lap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info, ill google and try the GUi Formatter, if all else fails. Where would i find said master boot record for my HDD? I didnt even get to plug it into my wii, to test out the USB3 functionality. Anywho I'll update tomorrow on my situation when i have time. I believe the problem with the WBFS on the My Book, was that there is some sort of firmwear installed on the drive which i thought i deleted and it seems to be conflicting with the partition. Anyways, thanks again, ill let you know how this puzzle goes.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried to go into disk management? write all 0(zero's). to the hard drive. yes this will erase all partitions. but will be able to format it to fat32. an it will take care of all the extra crap WD puts on the drives.(this is how i solved my issue). but mine is the model right before 3.0 came out, but is 3.0 compatible. xflak also put a fat 32 formatter in modmii, this is what i used to format mine.

Red Ire Lap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay well, i said i would be getting to this on August 26th but Xenoblade got the best of me. I have rekindled my intrest in fixing this problem. The Gui Formatter cannot detect the HDD and trying to write all zeros on the drive was attempted and still reads as taking years to complete. This was on an early attempt back when the drive was detected by a WD formatter (however now it no longer gets detected).

Edit - It's not detected in 'My Computer' as a storage device, it is detected in 'Devices and Printers' as needing troubleshooting.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Try disk management like shortz said, then just delete the partition, then create a new simple partition, fat32 won't be an option, so just choose ntfs, then launch fat32 gui formatter and make it fat32

if windows disk management doesn't work for u, there are lots of free 3rd party alternatives available online
biggrin.gif

Red Ire Lap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I've made some progress with disk management, however only about 14gigs of my 1 TB drive are accessible for some reason. I've formatted that to NTFS and is now detectable by other formatting software. The other 134 217 727 .92 gigs (literally listed that way) are listed as 'Not Initialized'. When i try and initialize it in disk management, it gives me an error stating "The device is not ready". Do i need to give it a back rub or something to get it going?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but you could try using EASUS partition manager. Full details on this page. (I know it's a first step for getting sneek to work, but it'll also work for traditional softmodding).

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
gparted is another very powerful tool, but it doesn't run on windows so u'll either need to run it off a live cd or off a linux OS. If all the other alternatives that work on windows don't work for you, you should consider this. I've personally used it to fix a usb flash drive that wasn't even recognized by windows.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
ddetkowski said:
1st off, WBFS formatting is long dead!
Reason: Quirky, unstable HDD partition. I know, it crapped out on one of my drives back in the day...
This is a very personnel meaning. There are enough users (and I'm one of them) who use WBFS Partitions without any problems and without fragmentation issues. Handling is very fast and if you use the right tools and scripts. I have not one problem with WBFS since the last >20 month.

crazycaveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could also be related to your operating system. If you're on XP and have not installed SP2 or 3, that should be your first step.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess not...