Hacking boot2 downgrade?

Taiten

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible too downgrade the boot2 after it got updated by the 4.2 update?

i've tried too search for an clear answer to this but usually its a plain No.

I've stumbled upon a article by bushing about the boot2v4 timing "code".
With the newer boot2v4 it might cause bricks if downgraded too lower systemmenus because of the timing issues when loading the ios:es.
So I thought for myself: aint the older boot2 versions better for us who has a hackable boot2 (actually hackable boot1) allowing us to downgrade even lower then 3.2, not that we would want too, just that we have the possibility if we wanted too.

So back too my original question, is it possible at all? correct me if I'm wrong, but boot2 being writable, aint it then possible too erase boot2 and then write back the older boot2v3 for instance. I'm no coder so I'm just vewing it in a simplistic way and it might be easier said then done.

Article:
http://hackmii.com/2009/08/timing-is-every...ftmoddable-wii/

PS: I'm referring to us that can install bootmii and have a hackable boot1

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There's no code to install boot2. If you try it with WAD Manager, you either get nothing if you are lucky, or a very bad brick.

Anyways, the timing problem should be hardware related. If you are on 4.2, and have BootMii as boot2 installed, try this: Get IOS35v1042, delete your IOS35, install v1042 and then start anything that allows to select which IOS to load. If IOS35 works there, you know that the boot2 version is not causing trouble. If it does not work, install the latest IOS35 to fix it.
If this works there are 0 problems with the new boot2 version, you can even reinstall BootMii to boot2 on it.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
I've an old hardware Wii, I mean boot1 is vulnerable and the Wii accept to run old IOSes. (and of course I can install bootmii as boot2)

I've upgraded this Wii to 4.2, for some reason and in the process I got the new boot2v4.
This won't remove you the ability to install bootmii as boot2 (since only boot1 is involved in this process)
This won't cause brick if you downgrade IOSes (tested, and working)
For me boot2v4 do not cause problems, so I'll keept it as it

But don't try to downgrade IOSes on new hardware Wii (like the black one): i've test it by dowgrading IOS36... cannot run hombrew anymore
(don't worry: upgrade your wii, this will install latest IOSes and fix the problem, of course won't help is you messed with systemmenu IOS....)

Just think and be carefull

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you can't install boot2 via the normal wad installation it will simply fail without doing anything.
if you really want to install boot2 you need to call a special function but you can't downgrade boot2 as the version is saved in the Wii to prevent downgrading boot2.

VERY IMPORTANT: no boot2 version will give you an advantage over another! As for bootmii boot1 is the important factor NOT boot2.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
There's no code to install boot2. If you try it with WAD Manager, you either get nothing if you are lucky, or a very bad brick.

Anyways, the timing problem should be hardware related. If you are on 4.2, and have BootMii as boot2 installed, try this: Get IOS35v1042, delete your IOS35, install v1042 and then start anything that allows to select which IOS to load. If IOS35 works there, you know that the boot2 version is not causing trouble. If it does not work, install the latest IOS35 to fix it.
If this works there are 0 problems with the new boot2 version, you can even reinstall BootMii to boot2 on it.
dop-IOS MOD v12 beta has code to install boot2, but only to update it. Its actually the code used to install BootMii in HackMii Installer, courtesy of bushing. But it still can't downgrade it, but there's no reason to do that anyway.

Daco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
SifJar said:
WiiPower said:

dop-IOS MOD v12 beta has code to install boot2, but only to update it. Its actually the code used to install BootMii in HackMii Installer, courtesy of bushing. But it still can't downgrade it, but there's no reason to do that anyway.
there is no reason to upgrade boot2 either

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
well, if u were to purposely update your boot2, then reinstall bootmii as boot2, then if u were to accidentally update via ninty in the future it would not touch your boot2... so the only reason to update your boot2 is to prevent event the slightest chance that some idiot updates their wii, then proceeds to brick themselves before reinstalling bootmii as boot2

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
xflak40 said:
well, if u were to purposely update your boot2, then reinstall bootmii as boot2, then if u were to accidentally update via ninty in the future it would not touch your boot2... so the only reason to update your boot2 is to prevent event the slightest chance that some idiot updates their wii, then proceeds to brick themselves before reinstalling bootmii as boot2
I wanted to say the same thing, to prevent an update from overwriting BootMii
smile.gif

also, it might stop some disc update messages...

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v65535 might be an even better idea if it's possible, that way nintendo could never one-up it.

I get this idea from having checked versions of CIOSCorp IOS's (although I just go with waninkoko and hermes' IOS's and a loader)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: istg if lose another game of minesweeper