Gaming Best DS RPG(s)?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just started Magical Starsign, and whilst it has a small amount of potential, I'm finding it to be incredibly mediocre and am not sure if I can bring myself to invest 30 plus hours into this game.

But in the same respect, if there are no better RPGs I may be tempted to stick with it a little more.

Cheers guys

"Better" is certainly a relative term when you're talking about RPGs, but, personally, I think there are far better games out there for the DS.

Pokemon, of course, is great. Dragon Quest Monsters - Joker was, in my opinion, every bit as great as Diamond / Pearl. Final Fantasy III is absolutely wonderful and highly under-rated. There are also a handful of action / RPGs and RPG hybrids, such as Revenant Wings. Rune Factory is now one of my favorite games of all time; though it's definitely a niche RPG, I think it's amazing, warts and all. And if you can get into some straight dungeon crawling, Tao's Adventure is perhaps the most under-rated game on the DS, RPG or otherwise.

Gene98

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Izuna is a decent roguelike.

Don't care much for the dialogue or story, but actual dungeon crawling is quite nicely animated, along with a somewhat interesting equipment system.
Actually I played Izuna ONLY for a dilogues. Humor was EPIC some times with load of fan-service XD. btw there is second part coming

Mario rpg is ok. Too bad I don't like action games

ff12 is awesome after like... 2/3 of game, when difficutly pumped up GREATELY and chars developed new userfull skills(no more best-skill-spam). but mediocore in first part(too easy+boring).

ff3 is actually really crappy old game but with new visuals.

In other hand ff4 is the second great ff game for me(after ff6) and i'll 100% enjoy it. But only after off. eng. release

FF:CC is somewhat descent action rpg

Contact... It was TOO linear. I mean... Even Diablo had more ways to finish level(island here)

Izuna - as told. Boring game but excelent dialogues.

Custom robot Arena gets boring at the end, because of... SAME DAMN ROBOTS WHOLE GAME. I mean c'mone. What is the meaning of in-game $, if we can get best(for us) weapons/parts after like 15 mins of gameplay. Same about opponents. They use SAME ROBOTS WHOLE GAME TOO. Only diff - they also have that super-powah of R4 pirating. Too bad it's just old-same weapon but in other color and with bigger dmg.

Draglade... It's ok....

Pokemon is great as always (=

DQM:J is good. But I can't find any reason to play this game when i have Pokemon D/P. DQM series is too linear in terms of monster-upgrading and also DQM:J lacks some parts from previous one.

FFTA is one of my all-times favorite. And FFTA2 looks promising.

Heroes of mana looks just like poor version of ff12

Gimmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
To be honest, I played most of the games you are talking here, and I cannot recommend on any of those, well maybe Luminos Arc (like the dialogs).
When we will se a decent RPG to the DS ):

Tyralyon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I agree the DS lacks rpgs, but it's got some decent games that has rpg elements. Some mentioned here, but I would like to add the Castlevania games and also Puzzle Quest.

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Etrian Odyssey is the best Dungeon crawling RPG out for the DS right now. However, its old school RPG with a strict rule set and sever penalties for dying. It's not for the faint of heart.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon, of course, is great. Dragon Quest Monsters - Joker was, in my opinion, every bit as great as Diamond / Pearl. Final Fantasy III is absolutely wonderful and highly under-rated. There are also a handful of action / RPGs and RPG hybrids, such as Revenant Wings. Rune Factory is now one of my favorite games of all time; though it's definitely a niche RPG, I think it's amazing, warts and all. And if you can get into some straight dungeon crawling, Tao's Adventure is perhaps the most under-rated game on the DS, RPG or otherwise.
You have no idea what a "good" RPG is.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wow, don't hold back anything there...feel free to let the insults fly. Anyway, that's your opinion, as rude as it is.
dry.gif
In any case, I've been playing RPGs well before they made their way into the digital realm. I might not run with the pack, with respect to what's considered "good," but I definitely don't have to justify why I like a particular game. And you know what they say about opinions...

Tyralyon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Izuna is a decent roguelike.

Don't care much for the dialogue or story, but actual dungeon crawling is quite nicely animated, along with a somewhat interesting equipment system.

POWDER is still better though.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1709
Sorry, but had to comment since you attack irpacynot with no apparent reason (other than to start a flamewar?)
You yourself didn't not justify why you think POWDER is a good game, and to say you like an rpg because of nice animation, is quite frankly, ridiculous. That's never a good reason to play a game. Good story on the other hand, is...

(To be honest, I respect that you have that opinion, but you know, people who live in glass houses should not throw stones
wink.gif
)

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
Not to cause a fuss or anything but I have to agree with Urza, whiles I respect irpacynot's opinions, I have to disagree with his/her list of good RPG. RPG needs a good plot/story, and all games he listen are seriously lacking in that, they might be fun to play, but they are hardly RPG, in my opinion.

The Pokemon games and DQM are seriously lacking in plots and story, they may only appeal to those who liked Pokemon games, not true RPG players.

FF3 is a NES games in better graphics, older RPG has simple story, but seeing it today, this game is seriously aged and only old-school RPG players/hardcore FF fans will find it likable.

Revenant Wings may have great story and plot but it is more of a strategy game with mix of RPG elements, I love this game though.

Rune Factory on the other hand, is a life/farming-sim with bits of RPG elements, and may only appeal to Harvest Moon fans who wants a less repetitive game. I loved Harvest Moon series, so this is Superb for me, but I hardly consider it a "good" RPG.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to cause a fuss or anything but I have to agree with Urza, whiles I respect irpacynot's opinions, I have to disagree with his/her list of good RPG. RPG needs a good plot/story, and all games he [listed] are seriously lacking in that, they might be fun to play, but they are hardly RPG, in my opinion.

smile.gif
Well, thanks for being a little more civil in the way you "discuss" RPGs, but I guess we have different ideas of what an RPG is. When I first started playing D&D in the early `80s, we had to create our own stories -- someone had to be the DM (dungeon master, for those of you too young to remember). Story, though, was never a big part of the adventure -- leveling up and engaging various monsters / gods was. Sure, it was always more entertaining when you had a friend who really had a great ability to articulate their imaginings, but role-playing for most RPGers, back then (and into the early days of video-game RPGs), was always about going through the motions of rolling the dice, engaging new creatures, acquiring new items and equipment, and becoming a demigod.

Yeah, RPGs have changed. When I played Tales of Symphonia for the first time, after taking a hiatus from RPGs, I was blown away by how much story there was. That said, chess and checkers are still good games. You could add story elements to those games, too, but liking classic chess and checkers doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a fundamental grasp on what a "good" game of chess or checkers is. Just look at Club House Games; there's nothing new there, but it's still a very highly rated, very well-regarded DS game.

That's fine that Ursa, or anyone else, for that matter, doesn't agree with my opinion -- and I can tell you why I like those games, but, again, I don't have to justify that to anyone. However, no one has to be an ass about how they disagree with people. Discussion doesn't always mean agreeing with one another, but it also has nothing to do with a pissing contest. That's all I'm saying. I love Pokemon (playing Pearl again right now) and I love DQM-Joker. I make no apologies for that. I think they're great RPGs. Nope, the story for both games is nothing epic, but each game is fun, and that's all I require from a game.
wink.gif

Requisite

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

CannonBallZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flame-yo! flame-yo....

Anyways back on topic.....

I hate the grinding in RPGs but I found the following RPGs rather fun and actually completed them.

Phantom Hourglass - How come so little love? I though it was pretty epic

the Tingle RPG - i liked the sense of humor, it really made the game

dragon quest rocket slime - lol pure joy

Contact was pretty different as an RPG...you basically levelled up doing anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess not...