Hacking Discussion Banned Users: eShop is Still Usable on a Banned Switch (Somehow)

Nemean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So wait can we just clarify what the loss is to being banned from the sounds of it its just the lack of online play?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wait can we just clarify what the loss is to being banned from the sounds of it its just the lack of online play?
Unable to play games online and access the eShop. You can still update games and your system firmware, but that may be subject to change depending on how aggressive Nintendo acts.

Reactions: goonbag

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Someone has to test all methods which the OP mentioned in the first post, then we can see if all workarounds really work. Also Nintendo could change the ban behavior. I wouldn't start a party to early.

Nemean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unable to play games online and access the eShop. You can still update games and your system firmware, but that may be subject to change depending on how aggressive Nintendo acts.

Yeah and we now have a workaround for the Eshop side of things which may change but for now its only really online play I am missing? Yeah I guess they could change what they have banned but I would think that would be unlikely only change I can see would be fixing this method of using the website to download.

Last edited by Nemean,

TR_mahmutpek

medic
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
my console got banned too (i dont care, i play online on pc or ps4). i bought a 0,99€ game to test the download. works.

edit2: conclusion if i wanna play a dlc and there is no option in the future to get them via cfw = buying the dlc :o
You banned from using eXshop?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and we now have a workaround for the Eshop side of things which may change but for now its only really online play I am missing? Yeah I guess they could change what they have banned but I would think that would be unlikely only change I can see would be fixing this method of using the website to download.
Yes so if you don't care about online play, the ban really doesn't limit what you can do. As for the eShop, supposedly they can enact a ban that prevents you from downloading ANY content from their eShop, no matter where you are downloading it from, which SciresM and ShinyQuagsire have but I cannot find proof of that. So for now, assume you lose online play and eShop access.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
ADDENDUM: Unfortunately, there's no way to link a Nintendo Account with an account created on a banned system, and I'm not aware of any workarounds for the linking process.
so does this mean that nintendo account used on banned system will be automatically banned as well. or since you can't access eshop, you can't deactivate the account and that means you can't use the account on other system?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so does this mean that nintendo account used on banned system will be automatically banned as well. or since you can't access eshop, you can't deactivate the account and that means you can't use the account on other system?
Automatically banned? No. Impossible to unlink? Possibly. Potentially get banned from the rest of the network? Also possible.
The instant you get banned, your Nintendo Account and your ability to use the eShop CDN are working on borrowed time. How long it'll last depends entirely on how much Nintendo cares and how far they're willing to go to enforce their ability to do so.
I'm not sure if it's possible to unlink a Nintendo Account from a banned system. (I don't really wanna find out for myself, either; it's a one-way trip if you do.)

Someone has to test all methods which the OP mentioned in the first post, then we can see if all workarounds really work. Also Nintendo could change the ban behavior. I wouldn't start a party to early.
I've personally tested all methods (Downloading a demo, redownloading a demo, downloading a free game and redownloading a free game) independently, I'd feel kind of daft posting something I haven't tested at all. You'd be absolutely right that people can (and in fact have; SciresM and ShinyQuagsire come to mind) be(en) banned completely from even making CDN requests, but only those two cases have been reported thus far.

How the hell are so many people banned? What were you doing?
Non-serious answer: Science.
Serious answer: All manner of causes have been reported thus far, the most common ones being error reports and trying to connect online with pirated games.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've personally tested all methods (Downloading a demo, redownloading a demo, downloading a free game and redownloading a free game) independently, I'd feel kind of daft posting something I haven't tested at all. You'd be absolutely right that people can (and in fact have; SciresM and ShinyQuagsire come to mind) be(en) banned completely from even making CDN requests, but only those two cases have been reported thus far.
Can I have a link to the evidence that their Switches are not allowed to make any CDN requests at all?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can I have a link to the evidence that their Switches are not allowed to make any CDN requests at all?
Not strictly evidence, but:
SciresM: https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/998856455938699264
ShinyQuagsire: https://twitter.com/ShinyQuagsire/status/1009207817725595648
From what I understand, their bans were caused for making numerous invalid requests to the CDN, and these two are the only reported cases of an outright CDN ban, so the system definitely exists. Why it's only them and not other people (for the time being, at least) is anyone's guess.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not strictly evidence, but:
SciresM: https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/998856455938699264
ShinyQuagsire: https://twitter.com/ShinyQuagsire/status/1009207817725595648
From what I understand, their bans were caused for making numerous invalid requests to the CDN, and these two are the only reported cases of an outright CDN ban, so the system definitely exists. Why it's only them and not other people (for the time being, at least) is anyone's guess.
What I'm trying to understand is if they can still make requests to the eShop via something like eXhop. And also if users can experience that type of ban if they continuously keep using eXhop.
You mean after piracy is possible with eXhop?
Its already piracy via eXhop because we are still downloading eShop titles without Nintendo's permission. The only downside currently is that they cannot be played without proof of purchase (ticket). Once we have a way to bypass that check, its functionally equivalent to Freeshop on the 3DS.

Last edited by Draxzelex,
Reactions: Ty_

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Don't get yourself banned on purpose"

But I want to use SX OS regardless, so that I shall do. I bought this system last week and have no nintendo account on it, nothing to lose here on my end. It's a hack console, what I got it for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: also happy birthday @Xdqwerty