Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Announced

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've had BG1 and 2 for such a long time now but I have yet to play them. Is it really as good as you say it is? If so I might have to dig them out and give them a try...

It's easy to pour about 200 hours into Baldur's Gate 2 alone. And that doesn't mean you get everything done 100%. Different classes (there are quite a few) have different side quests and different romances etc are possible. And by romances I mean playing the game and not just running from main objective to main objective. And you can really f**k up your romance with different options.. :) It's more open world than bigger games nowadays. The script is quite epic.

Also online multiplayer with friends

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Baldur's Gate was developed by Bio Ware and published by Black Isle Studios.
Ice Wind Dale was developed by Black Isle Studios and published by Interplay.

I don't see the same thing happening with Ice Wind Dale.

I never finished the original Baldur's Gate. I actually made it into Baldur's Gate but got poisoned and saved only a few minutes before I would die by the poison making the game impossible to complete. What a failure :)
Perhaps a bit of a design flaw of them making the game impossible to complete if you save at this time and having to replay the whole game.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The countdown on the BaldursGate.com website has finished, but even after waiting for the massive slowdown to pass by, we're not left with a whole lot of information to glean from it. Thankfully, Beamdog's Trent Oster has been busy sharing some information via Twitter, which I'll combine snippets from (along with everything else we know) below:

• Overhaul Games (Beamdog's development arm) is heading up the projects, with the support of both Atari and Wizards of the Coast.

• The new Beamdog newsletter states a Summer 2012 release date, at least for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (no release date for Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition yet).

• Tales of the Sword Coast will be included in the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Throne of Bhaalwill be included in the Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition.

• There will be "new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members".

• The team is doing their best to provide support for mods, old and new.

• Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will be exclusive to Beamdog (on PC), though other platforms will be announced next week at the very same time. The very first screenshots will debut then, too.

• The BG:EE will utilize the 2nd Edition D&D ruleset, just as the original games did. Beamdog/Overhaul Games' motto: "Don't break the fun."

• The "Infinity Enhanced" engine that powers both Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition will be "based off the latest Throne of Bhaal code base". That means we can use class kits and wild mages in the original Baldur's Gate!

• The team is making it a point to support as many languages as they can.

• No new-fangled 3D-rendered graphics, here. They're going "2D isometric all the way", just the way we like it.

• The team is going to stick with the original BG model of limited voiceovers because it "allows for more in-depth writing." Good call.

• As of right now, our old BG1 and BG2 save games should work in the Enhanced Editions. The team hasn't had to change the save game formats... yet, anyway.

• There will be all-new characters for us to meet and recruit into our party in the Enhanced Editions.Voiced by all-new actors, no less.

• While the new characters will be voiced by new actors, there are no current plans to add new VO for the old characters.

• The Enhanced Editions will likely only be released digitally, so your old Baldur's Gate boxed copies will have to continue taking up your prized shelf space for now.

• The interface will see some revising, specifically to increase the size of the font (and hopefully the characters) at high resolutions. Elaborating further, Trent states that they have the original source codeand are attempting to rework the UI and rendering.

• Once you're finished with the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, you will be able to import your characterinto the Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, just as we could with the original games.

• The team is "looking for new ways" to attach Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast and Baldur's Gate II + Throne of Bhaal into one cohesive title. And, yes, that would be nothing short of awesome.

• The outdated DirectPlay network interface used by Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II has been"macheted" to make room for something that is "better". Here's to hoping co-op multiplayer will be vastly improved!

• Beamdog is aware that not everyone likes their digital download client. "We're putting some thought into that."

• The new content that Beamdog/Overhaul Games is adding to the series can be ignored if you'd rather only play through the content we've all come to know by heart over the years.

• The ultimate goal? The new Enhanced Editions are "part of the master plan" toward the possibility of a Baldur's Gate III.

• And, finally, we have an official announcement:

Announcing Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™

March 15, 2012 - Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.

RE-FORGED BY OVERHAUL GAMES

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers.

RELIVE THE MOST EPIC STORY EVER TOLD

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.

THE GREATEST ROLEPLAYING GAME OF ALL TIME, ENHANCED

For all information regarding Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ visit www.baldursgate.com.

http://www.gamebansh...-announced.html

GO FOR THE EYES, BOO. GO FOR THE EYES!

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
GO FOR THE EYES, BOO. GO FOR THE EYES!
That comment made my day!

On a second note, I'm excited about the game, but using a certain client to DL the game (ie. no retail versions?) is frustrating. I usually end up removing everything else except the necessary files from my comp since I only have a small portion dedicated to Windows 7/Windows XP. Also what interests me is how the changes in the code will change requirements on the game.. Is it still possible to play on older machines (like my old WinXP PC from 2003 or something :P)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/lssx_bNgdAE?si=T5MxUWkA3KtBDSYS