AYANEO shares specs and pricing details about its upcoming AYANEO Kun handheld gaming PC

ayaneo kun.jpg

Options on the market for handheld gaming PCs is booming. After the leaked Lenovo Legion Go, details of another option have been made available, this time through an officially-released announcement. The device in question is the AYANEO Kun which appears to be closer to the Steam Deck in terms of design with trackpads and back buttons. It will sport an AMD Ryzen 7 7840U chip, a 8.4" 2.5K IPS screen, a 75Wh battery, among others. The company even claims that it will be able to provide up to 3 hours of battery life at 15W TDP. More specs details can be found below:

aya specs.jpg

A promotional trailer for the device was also aired:

As for pricing, the AYANEO Kun will launch via an Indiegogo campaign and costs will vary as follows:

aya kun price.jpg

:arrow: SOURCE

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Does the increase in power justify charging double the price of a Steam Deck?
It depends on what you are willing to play and what budget you have. On paper the power difference is substantial and the battery life is much better. It is tailored for windows too, and this may be a huge positive or not depending on what you play.

It's boring to talk like that, but indeed there is no right answer.

(not to mention that valve only sell the deck in a handful of countries, the Chinese companies like AYANEO sell to everyone that have the money, so for majority of gamers that are on earth the deck is not even an option).

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
The deck is trash compared to every other handheld. Only get the deck if you live sub-par performance and not being able to play most games on steam itself.
Can't tell if this is bait or not lol...
But anyways, the price point is the main factor, but even then the steam deck has some unique things going for it compared to these 800 USD upward offerings...Stuff like Valve's customer support, ability to run at low watts on less demanding titles more efficiently, and the lack of window's infamous bloat for example, the ROG ally for example FAILS in many ways here. They're doing hardly anything about that sd card reader overheat issue. can't run at as low as the deck can even for the titles it works with, and the painful amount of bloat that windows 11 contains. Of course maybe you're not using the ally...I'm just using it as an example as I've seen a lot of people with the ally riff on the deck because of it's "performance" issues alone...I'll admit that the battery for this device, if the claims are true...will be definitely a notable improvement if it can get even more out of lower end games too.

Anyhow, the deck isn't perfect either, just wanted to make it clear that in MY opinion, it's not trash, flawed but still has a LOT going for it.

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a steam deck and I quite liked it. Unfortunately the screen broke in an accident. It had nothing to do with how well the steam deck was built. In fact it handled it quite well.

When something like that happens I try to replace it with something better so that I don't feel as bad. I took a look at the ASUS and it doesn't necessarily seem like an upgrade given that driving the higher resolution screen has a substantial performance and battery life impact. I looked at a side by side review from a reputable site and at 1080p the ASUS actually performs worse than the steam deck in many games. I guess I'll have to wait until after the Lenovo and this unit are released to see whether or not they would actually be an upgrade.

And as much as breaking a $600 device sucks, breaking a $1,200 device is much much worse. Anything that's portable has the potential for that to happen.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, with Windows on it, the compatibility with games comes to 100%, right? So, in that regard, Steam Deck lacks a wee bit of compatibility on that front.

Despite they saying they are working towards more compatibility with games, we are wise and know that it only means recent games, while those more elder games are Windows only.

It is what it is.

CharlesDeGaulle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, with Windows on it, the compatibility with games comes to 100%, right? So, in that regard, Steam Deck lacks a wee bit of compatibility on that front.

Despite they saying they are working towards more compatibility with games, we are wise and know that it only means recent games, while those more elder games are Windows only.

It is what it is.

I had so many issues with oldies on windows handhelds in the past that I cannot follow you with the 100% value.
Rogue squadron, settlers III or ragnarok battle offline, Windows games, always had compatibility issues using W10.

Not only proton can have very good results in that regard, at least for aforementioned games, but buttons mapping with "big picture" is a god send for oldies, while windows needs "joytokeys" to do something similar.

On the other hand, playing steam version of metal slug, or some recent ones like fatal frame, needs proton GE.
So no 'plug-and-pray' here.

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I had so many issues with oldies on windows handhelds in the past that I cannot follow you with the 100% value.
Rogue squadron, settlers III or ragnarok battle offline, Windows games, always had compatibility issues using W10.

Not only proton can have very good results in that regard, at least for aforementioned games, but buttons mapping with "big picture" is a god send for oldies, while windows needs "joytokeys" to do something similar.

On the other hand, playing steam version of metal slug, or some recent ones like fatal frame, needs proton GE.
So no 'plug-and-pray' here.
Well, sure there's the odd one out, but usually there's a workaround on Windows. Same can't be said if it doesn't flat out work on the Deck.
From my view, if the Deck had Windows, there would be no competition. It's already making a killing as it is. It would become absolute murder with Windows.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, sure there's the odd one out, but usually there's a workaround on Windows. Same can't be said if it doesn't flat out work on the Deck.
From my view, if the Deck had Windows, there would be no competition. It's already making a killing as it is. It would become absolute murder with Windows.
I dunno, I think a lot of why it succeeded was that it wasn’t Windows. What it loses in compatibility it gains in accessibility. There’s no Windows handheld out there that has the same ease of use out of the box.

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I dunno, I think a lot of why it succeeded was that it wasn’t Windows. What it loses in compatibility it gains in accessibility. There’s no Windows handheld out there that has the same ease of use out of the box.
No. It won because the price point was correct.
If it was a windows device booting directly to Big Picture mode or whatever that thing is, the success would be even bigger, because the adage of "Access your Steam library anywhere" would be 100% true.
They did almost everything right.
In my view, of course.

veesonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its very easy to install and dual boot Windows on the Deck. 😉

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played