Suggestion Automatic Not open for further replies

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just necrobumped accidentally on this forum.
It made me wonder, if anyone from the staff could implement a feature:

If a thread hasn't been active in a week, make it not open for further replies automatically.

This might assume that, no one else is reading, and dumb users like myself, who happens to see an old thread won't necrobump unintentionally (or intentionally for some trolls) because the thread as been inactive in a long time.

I think that, anyone in the staff can decide the time to render a thread not open for further replies.
I suggest you a week of inactivity.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's a terrible idea
Every thread that wasn't active for a week shouldn't automatically be closed because people can still discuss it later or add new information or ask questions and whatever
Just don't bump threads that are many years old if you weren't originally in the thread and don't have any new important information to add (I'm pretty sure that's what the rules are)

D

Deleted User

If a thread hasn't been active in a week, make it not open for further replies automatically.

This might assume that, no one else is reading, and dumb users like myself, who happens to see an old thread won't necrobump unintentionally (or intentionally for some trolls) because the thread as been inactive in a long time.

I think that, anyone in the staff can decide the time to render a thread not open for further replies.

I don't know about this rule not to contradict you but some people are not on here freqently and so they may find your thread have some knowledge about it they wish to help you with and then find that it is locked thanks

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That's a terrible idea
Every thread that wasn't active for a week shouldn't automatically be closed because people can still discuss it later or add new information or ask questions and whatever
Just don't bump threads that are many years old if you weren't originally in the thread and don't have any new important information to add (I'm pretty sure that's what the rules are)

Yes. I agree, but put in someone else's position about posting an opinion on an old but still open thread, only to find out that the last message on that thread was months ago.
This would cause that old thread to jump up to the Recent Content section, and more users might reply to it and so on and so on.
That's why this is a suggestion and the staff can choose the time to make an inactive thread not open for further replies.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know about this rule not to contradict you but some people are not on here freqently and so they may find your thread have some knowledge about it they wish to help you with and then find that it is locked thanks
It's still a suggestion tho.
I understand that.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Make it 64 days then the Nintendo 64 can hammer down on it

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This has been suggested a few times, and has always been shot down because it's not what we want to see on this forum.

There are tons of threads that might not have replies for weeks or months that still may be relevant to someone, such as old DS or Wii homebrew projects or old tutorials, that someone might want to continue discussing or ask a question about. Closing those threads just leads to users opening new threads about problems or issues that could've easily been kept in one spot instead of fractured and all over the place.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does gbatemp kno how many threads in total ther can be :D

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you see an old thread and you think you can contribute valuable information to it then by all means, please do.
People in the future might stumble upon it and can benefit from it.
If said thread is no longer relevant (a better hack has come out or w/e) then just make a new thread.

Generally necrobumping is allowed under certain conditions.

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok... how about this?

You have these titles in certain sub forums... no?
[Suggestion]
[Confirmed]
[Question]
etc etc etc.

How'bout if you make a side label saying:
[OldThread] or something like that

So, everytime an user encounters an Old Thread, they might be warned beforehand that if they add a comment on that thread, they might be Necrobuming OR viewing Old Information.

With "Old Information" it means that the thread the user is watching or is about to comment might contain Outdated information or might be unactive from a long time ago.
The [OldThread] label could be automatized after a certain ammount of time has passed since the last comment posted on that thread.

But still a suggestion tho!

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
To be fair we have had a spate of threads being necroed by noobs just to say "lol"
This is a great example.
With a label stating that the tread is an Old thread, and it's brought back to the surface just to find out a meme or "lol" as a reply, Staff and Mods could easily track trolls.
As it is implied that they KNEW it was an old thread and they're just being trolls by loling everything they find.

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a great example.
With a label stating that the tread is an Old thread, and it's brought back to the surface just to find out a meme or "lol" as a reply, Staff and Mods could easily track trolls.
As it is implied that they KNEW it was an old thread and they're just being trolls by loling everything they find.

I didn't mean a literal LOL but labing threads as old would just force people to make new current threads. i mean there are situations where old threads need bumping. like if someone decides to take over a project or if they have made a new discovery - Perhaps a warning before posting like " This thread is x weeks old. are you sure you want to continue? " on all threads that haven't been posted to in 6 weeks

Reactions: JuanMena

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I didn't mean a literal LOL but labing threads as old would just force people to make new current threads. i mean there are situations where old threads need bumping. like if someone decides to take over a project or if they have made a new discovery - Perhaps a warning before posting like " This thread is x weeks old. are you sure you want to continue? " on all threads that haven't been posted to in 6 weeks
Still just a suggestion.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you see noobs necro bumping threads with "lol" or similar one worded posts, please report them.
The staff is only as efficient as the users that report posts.

Putting a warning on older threads won't matter much.
Look at all the noob threads with questions that could easily be answered by reading a sticky.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

That's a terrible idea.
First of all, 1 week is way too short, we already have too many people posting new threads to repeat old questions or start conversations about things already discussed in existing threads.
Second, even if it was set to something more reasonable, like a year, there are valid reasons to bump a year old thread, for example if there's new information to add. And usually, if a post is relevant to an existing thread, it's better to post in that thread rather than cluttering up the forum with more threads even if it's an old thread, especially when much of the information in the existing thread might be relevant to the post.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hacked a NES ROM the other day. The data it contained was the same as the data from 1984 when it was made into a cart, and will be the same in 2084. We hack a lot of ROMs around here.

Similarly we have more recently saw compatibility layers for the DS take off in a big way on the DSi and 3ds. It saw a wide variety of threads that once were only of passing relevance for people with shit tier flash carts that we all suggested nobody buy become massively relevant as all the anti piracy needed to be recreated and properly sorted. I can repeat something similar for homebrew, especially if we are all supposed to try to port things to a new version of devkitpro these days.

We had a discussion about a film that is set to be released about a year from now, if and when it makes it to DVD (probably over a year from now) I will probably watch it and care to opine on the matter. If I do the same for a US TV show then between 20 something episodes, breaks for holidays, sweeps, silly American holidays, break just because and because I like action then because some moron will mistake somewhere for a shooting alley and they need to take a break because apparently they like such morons to win, it will likely be 6 months from now at the earliest.

If we are discussing news then unless it is a seriously open and shut case and people push for the right to a speedy trial then we will likely have the court case results however many months down the line, assuming it is going that way. Ditto many pieces of technology, ditto many instances of science and on and on and on.

If we are discussing favourite... I just saw MP3 players thread get bumped earlier (albeit by a spammer but others were making genuine posts) then depending upon what goes it might still be relevant or like the game example I started with where we find games much the same in 10 years.

At very best there might be scope to add an option you can select in a profile for a "do you really want to?" but at the same time I get the impression the site is trying to keep the number of server requests down a bit and that is fluff for a mostly non issue.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really boils down to:

- Necrobumping is fine if the comment makes a meaningful contribution
- Necrobumping is not fine if the comment is pointless or a shitpost
- If you see a necrobump that you think is fine, don't report it