KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Continuation of the little discussion started by @AncientBoi ’s status.

The Groups feature wasn’t my favorite from the beginning, and what I silently feared when it started became true: A lot of groups hardly getting any members and/or posts spawned and clutter this custom subforum section.
For reference: This older thread goes into a similar direction.

Of course, like @Chary stated in above profile discussion, the Groups feature is theoretically a valuable addition with a lot of pro-arguments. Sadly in practice it isn’t working so good for the most.

================
My suggestion on this: It would be nice if the staff would remove (mostly or fully) empty and completely inactive groups (which never saw any significant activity), from time to time. Just for the sake of simplicity and cleanness.
Also: there shouldn’t be multiple groups for the very same topic allowed. What happened the last few days isn’t funny, but spammy in my opinion.
Groups.png
================

The Groups feature is also an additional argument against anybody suggesting a new official category/section.

Any suggestion in this direction usually gets disregarded without consideration, but instead with the rhetoric question:
Does the suggested topic ‘X’ have too many threads in off-topic section? No? See: No need for a new official category!” which is now accompanied by “Simply create a group.” (which for 99% will fail to get any attention – opposed to a new official category).

There have been interesting suggestions in the past that could(!) have lead to a category being added to GBAtemp, maybe sparking interest, which some off-topic threads or a user group wouldn’t achieve on their own. This is why this rhetoric question isn't convincing as a general reply on any "How about a section for X?" suggestion.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

KleinesSinchen

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Another two small things:

1. Is this the effect of an (incomplete) deletion or a bug/glitch? One of the "Zelda fangroups" that made me post this thread
Groups2.png
No info page, no photos page, nothing but the "There are no threads" message.

2. What should happen to groups, when the owner decides to delete their GBAtemp account?
Groups1.png
Who owns it and who is responsible? This group I found as an example isn't active since January. But if a group is still active and the owner deletes the account, shouldn't somebody be able to take it over?

Reactions: CoolMe

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

1. Is this the effect of an (incomplete) deletion or a bug/glitch? One of the "Zelda fangroups" that made me post this thread

2. What should happen to groups, when the owner decides to delete their GBAtemp account?
Who owns it and who is responsible? This group I found as an example isn't active since January. But if a group is still active and the owner deletes the account, shouldn't somebody be able to take it over?
That is not a deleted member, they just called themselves that. If they were deleted however, then all of their information will not be shown on what they had posted last.

• Wow
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is not a deleted member, they just called themselves that. If they were deleted however, then all of their information will not be shown on what they had posted last.
I'm not entirely sure. It does look different than usually (profile still accessible), but I do remember some kind of "I'll delete my account" message:
https://gbatemp.net/blogs/blog/blog-cpg.3950/
https://gbatemp.net/blogs/welp-its-been-fun.18814/

On the other side, some profiles of banned members can be still opened (and we could even post messages)… most of them not.
(I won't provide examples publicly)

And there is a new account:
https://gbatemp.net/members/cpg_.593279/page-3#profile-post-148467
======

In any case the question is the same: What should happen to (active) groups if the owner deletes their account.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
i agree with alot of stuff in here. but groups is still working in progress, im sure we will improve with time. its bit finding what works and what doesnt work.

i think removing a group after two weeks because it has three members wouldn't be fair. they might active and talking about kingdom hearts those poor members.

i mean just look at the Football group... :cry: we have half a dozen active members!!!

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

but some groups are bit off for sure.

Last edited by Flame,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've seen a lot of users here with that "deleted member" name, not sure why it is that way.. Maybe it's because they themselves requested the account deletion (don't think they can get it back, if they ever want to)..
So it's definitely not the same as being "banned"..

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Groups are, in my opinion, a solution in search of a problem.

I don't think they need to be removed, though - if people are using them for a niche topic, let them, it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) affect me. Personally, I don't see them as even remotely valuable and for that reason I have simply decided for myself to not use them and in fact, ignore them outright - if only group posts would stop showing up in the "Latest Posts" list ocassionally...

Reactions: SylverReZ

KleinesSinchen

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@AncientBoi had a screenshot of this in his status as well.

"🤦🏻‍♂️" is a little weak for this. If this wasn't "Site Discussions & Suggestions", but the funny pictures thread, I'd include one of the "Godzilla Facepalm" images.

It is really going too far now. Sometimes it happens with threads that lag(?) leads to somebody posting a thread double/triple without intention. For groups it is quite annoying, as they stay in the index forever if not deleted.
A single letter name for a group makes no sense anyway; a thread title like this likely would not get accepted.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"🤦🏻‍♂️" is a little weak for this. If this wasn't "Site Discussions & Suggestions", but the funny pictures thread, I'd include one of the "Godzilla Facepalm" images.
Oh, the face-palm was for the one letter name..
It is really going too far now. Sometimes it happens with threads that lag(?) leads to somebody posting a thread double/triple without intention. For groups it is quite annoying, as they stay in the index forever if not deleted.
Agreed!
A single letter name for a group makes no sense anyway; a thread title like this likely would not get accepted.
100%

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bruh.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
(image snip)
Oi matE you got a problEm with E??

No but seriously, it's a shame that the groups aren't more utilised on GBA Temp but hey-ho. There's more than enough going on in the forums and I like that GBAT isn't as super strict on necroing as a lot of other places. Like some forums don't let you bump a thread after a few weeks.

Having said that, it would be cool to have an active place for when I wanted to chat about a series specifically.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oi matE you got a problEm with E??

No but seriously, it's a shame that the groups aren't more utilised on GBA Temp but hey-ho. There's more than enough going on in the forums and I like that GBAT isn't as super strict on necroing as a lot of other places. Like some forums don't let you bump a thread after a few weeks.

Having said that, it would be cool to have an active place for when I wanted to chat about a series specifically.
GBAtemp is kinda awful for the amount of empty groups, lamo i remember a group called "Dino's Butt" i tried to get in before it was deleted :ohnoes:

• Haha
Reactions: AncientBoi

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBAtemp is kinda awful for the amount of empty groups, lamo i remember a group called "Dino's Butt" i tried to get in before it was deleted :ohnoes:
Honestly I find it's awful for anything that isn't the forums. Everything except General Chat is dead and groups are basically ignored. The sheer amount of constant activity in the forums counterbalances it but for anything other than that, I feel like you're out of luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto