Hacking AT90USBKEY2 with PSGroove (Backloader Hacked) Review and learn

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey All,

I figured I would post my experience with the flashing of the AT90USBKEY2 with the hacked PSGrove. Installing Backup loader and using the PS3 in general.

Flashing the AT90USBKEY2:
1- Make sure that you read the directions very carefully when you put your AT90USBKEY2 into DFU Mode. I let go of RST and HWD at the same time by mistake and it did not go into DFU Mode. It took me about 10 minutes to realize that. It is release RST first, then HWD.
2-For a good hint, hook up your AT90USBKEY2 normally to your PC. Let the auto wizard install it first. Then unconnect it and follow the directions. Auto wizard should not recognize it if it is in DFU mode, so you will need to install the inf file.
3- If you have the AT90USBKEY2, you need to use AT90USB1287 when selecting your chip set. When I tried to flash using AT90USB1286 it failed. I bet that is for AT90USBKEY.
4- You do not have to have the reset box checked off (Next to the start application button). It is probably better that you don't. If you do, it will start trying to install USB Devices to your PC. No need for that.
Flashing should be a snap after that.

On to the PS3.
1- I first installed FW 3.41 since I was not on it before.
2- Install went fine, no issues

PS3 with PSGroove hacked
1- I followed the directions as mentioned and shut off the PS3 and turned it back on with the PSGroove plugged in.
2- It went into Dev mode. However, I did have some problems:
a- My controllers were not being recognized. (Harmony One and PS3) I had to unplug the PSGroove and the use the USB cord to plug in the controller to use it.
b- No matter what I did in Dev mode, my controllers were not recognized
c- I rebooted the PS3 and went into normal mode. I linked up my Harmony One and my PS3 Controller and they worked fine.
d- I did the boot cycle for PSGroove and only then was I able to use my controller.

Backup Loader.
- Installed Backup loader with no issues, easy as cake.
- Installed GoW3 with Backup loader, no issue. Took over an hour though and the total install was 36 GB. Ouch. You can tell how big the install is, because when you are on the main screen, Backup loader will say 36GB.
- Played GoW3 with no issues. It did prompt me for 1.01 update to GoW3, but I didn't think it would work, and I didn't want to take the chance with Sony, so I played it as is. (was there always a 1.01 install, or is that new?)
- Saved in GoW3 no problem
- GoW3 felt like it had quicker loading times with the HDD, but that could just be in my head.

Other Testing:
- I reset my PS3 into normal mode. Backup loader fails as expected.
- I put in my GoW3 Game in under normal mode and was fine using the saves created while playing GoW3 using Backup loader. So original can use back up save files
- I have a fan plugged into my second USB slot, and the fan worked fine with PSGroove. So you can have something else plugged in at the same time you have PSGroove plugged in. I haven't tried other things like a jump drive or hard drive plugged in. May not work with those, since all the fan does is take the power from the USB.

Conclusion
All in all, this was my experience. Over all, it's pretty cool. The HD space does go incredibly fast though. Also, I am looking forward to not having to Power off the PS3 all the time, it could get annoying after a while. Almost better to just play the original then to follow the boot sequence.

Now bring on the homebrew!

yatesl

Trophies
XP
Country
36GB? Ouch. I can see 1TB HDDs selling quite a bit once this gets off the ground properly (if it does). Was that installing (and running from) an external HDD, or the internal?

Can you browse the installed files from the XMB, or does it only read it in the back up loader? Can you copy them to an external hard drive (providing no files are over 4GB) from the internal, or does the game need to be redumped straight to the external?

It's a shame there's no NTFS system working on it yet.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
From what i have seen PSGroove was just blocking the id of the backup manager, so if another software is released that does the same, just better, it would work anyways.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yatesl said:
36GB? Ouch. I can see 1TB HDDs selling quite a bit once this gets off the ground properly (if it does). Was that installing (and running from) an external HDD, or the internal?

Can you browse the installed files from the XMB, or does it only read it in the back up loader? Can you copy them to an external hard drive (providing no files are over 4GB) from the internal, or does the game need to be redumped straight to the external?

It's a shame there's no NTFS system working on it yet.

1- It was installed to the internal drive. GoW3 has 4GB files which cannot be installed to Fat32
2- You cannot browse the games from the XMB, you have to launch the backup loader
3- There is nothing that I have seen that will allow you to copy from the internal to the external and vice versa. We need new loaders for that. That is what I am looking for as well.
4- If you have it on the internal drive, you will have to dump the original to the external if you wanted it.

Hope that helps. BTW, games take forever to dump.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen a PSGroove all versions thing that has been released recently...does this mean that that version of PSGroove works with all Atmel programmable boards?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...