knightFox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nightfoxandco.com
XP
Country
smealum said:
Thanks. And don't be sorry, you're not annoying, it's thanks to people like you that games can reach their full potential...
As for EFS, I've been thinking about making a nitroFS version, I just haven't taken the time yet. I'm sure it wouldn't require that many changes, but this close to the deadline I'm not sure I can do it in time; I think my time would be better spent adding content and killing off bugs. But after that, yeah, I'll definitely look into it !

Migrate a EFS project to NitroFS takes you arround 5 minutes.
Remember mi lib and all my projects uses EFS some time ago.
you only need to change 3 lines on makefile and the init line of filesystem. All filesystem call functions are same.
If you need some help with it, feel free to ask me.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
knightFox said:
smealum said:
Thanks. And don't be sorry, you're not annoying, it's thanks to people like you that games can reach their full potential...
As for EFS, I've been thinking about making a nitroFS version, I just haven't taken the time yet. I'm sure it wouldn't require that many changes, but this close to the deadline I'm not sure I can do it in time; I think my time would be better spent adding content and killing off bugs. But after that, yeah, I'll definitely look into it !

Migrate a EFS project to NitroFS takes you arround 5 minutes.
Remember mi lib and all my projects uses EFS some time ago.
you only need to change 3 lines on makefile and the init line of filesystem. All filesystem call functions are same.
If you need some help with it, feel free to ask me.
Actually, I had to change a few things in EFS to get what I wanted so it would probably take a little more. And at this point, I'm not really willing to potentially waste time on this, I think it's more important to actually finish the game.
smile.gif

Edit : score uploading may be down at the moment (and probably has been this way since yesterday) because I'm making server-side adjustments, so don't worry if it doesn't work right.
Edit 2 : should be back up now.
biggrin.gif

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Alright, this has been a bitch to get done in time, but here it is, Arsenal v1.0 !
biggrin.gif

It now includes more levels (including a new 3D background for level 5 !), more music (including boss music !), replay files for every level (except level7 which I kinda want to keep "secret" and exclusive to people who can actually finish it
tongue.gif
), the game is more polished (added transition effects, fixed the menu), and it's possible to control the menu using only the D-PAD and A button. Oh, and I added some features to the website, including what Sir_Voe suggested about highscores display, and it's now possible to upload and download replay files to/from the leaderboards.
I'll be posting a video later ! Hope you like it, let me know what you think.
smile.gif

(the game still includes all the tools I used to make the contents, I'll be writing up a manual this week, and possibly uploading a few levels to the website)

Link : download Arsenal v1.0 !

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
relminator said:
Good luck buddy. I've just downloaded this and will give it a try. 2.7 MB took 30 minutes in this not so hot gprs connection. LOL

I love this bounty!
Thanks, I hope you like it, good luck to you too.
smile.gif

Oh, and I just made a short video for people who haven't downloaded the game yet.
tongue.gif

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVycWwpK-XQ[/youtube]

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Dirbaio said:
I also get a guru error.
crash.jpg

Looks really good, though. I'd love to try it.
My card is R4 SDHC from r4sdhc.net
Well this is killing me, it works perfectly on my R4, and the adresses on that screenshot are inconclusive.
frown.gif

When does it happen ? Is it directly after boot up ? If so, it's probably something to do with EFS... So you should check whether you have a 3in1 or something plugged in to your GBA slot and maybe see if other homebrew games that use EFS work... otherwise, I think I'm all out of options, this is extremely frustrating...

Dirbaio

Trophies
Website
dirbaio.net
XP
Country
Yes! You were right!
I had an EZFlash IV plugged in, I didn't even think of taking it out.
It works now. Stays stuck in a white screen for like 20 seconds (loading, I presume) and then boots
biggrin.gif

Thanks
biggrin.gif

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Dirbaio said:
Yes! You were right!
I had an EZFlash IV plugged in, I didn't even think of taking it out.
It works now. Stays stuck in a white screen for like 20 seconds (loading, I presume) and then boots
biggrin.gif

Thanks
biggrin.gif
That's great news !
smile.gif
Also, yeah that first loading can be long, it's because EFS is looking for the file (mostly, my game has longish loading times too :/), so it should go faster next time.
wink.gif

Now I think I'll definitely be making a non-EFS version soon though, so I'll post it here when it's ready.

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smealum said:
Now I think I'll definitely be making a non-EFS version soon though, so I'll post it here when it's ready.

Great news, as my DS Two is still having that problem with level 4, even after following all the suggestions to fix it. I'm having a blast with all the other levels though, and am looking forward to a guide for the level creation utility so I can try my hand at that.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
For me, the loading time depends on the card, my sandisk 2gb with hundreds of files takes about 10 secs while my other one(free from my LG phone) 256 mb witn like 20 files takes like 4 minutes each time. LOL

There's also a problem with your replay system. Not happening when you load the replay fresh from boot but after a while of playing.

Play a game, load a replay (I used smea's stage 4), then what usually happens is that smea's replay can't kill the boss then the game stops, so I had to press start then all is black but the music and stuff are still there and I can hear myself actually playing the game. Are you're replays like mine where I get the button states each frame? Very memory efficient but very rigid.

Dang buddy, this game is impossible. LOL. And I can unlock extra mode in Ketsui DS and can finish Doom mode with like a life left.

BTW, are those bullets on ortho or perspective mode?

Let there be bombs. ;*) Oh yeah, Lobo's GFX just roxxors!

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
relminator said:
For me, the loading time depends on the card, my sandisk 2gb with hundreds of files takes about 10 secs while my other one(free from my LG phone) 256 mb witn like 20 files takes like 4 minutes each time. LOL

There's also a problem with your replay system. Not happening when you load the replay fresh from boot but after a while of playing.

Play a game, load a replay (I used smea's stage 4), then what usually happens is that smea's replay can't kill the boss then the game stops, so I had to press start then all is black but the music and stuff are still there and I can hear myself actually playing the game. Are you're replays like mine where I get the button states each frame? Very memory efficient but very rigid.

Dang buddy, this game is impossible. LOL. And I can unlock extra mode in Ketsui DS and can finish Doom mode with like a life left.

BTW, are those bullets on ortho or perspective mode?

Let there be bombs. ;*) Oh yeah, Lobo's GFX just roxxors!
Yeah, I know the replay system iq somewhat broken... Actually, from my experience it works just fine on level1, 2, 5, 6 and 7, just not on levels that have a terrain background, and I think I have an idea as to why, so hopefully I should be fixin this soon.
On level3 and 4, everything is in perspective, but everything is in ortho in all other levels.
And yeah, the game is really hard starting level5... I wanted to prove it was possible with the replays, but even then I use a lot of continues, so maybe bombs would be a good idea.
Anyway, I'll be getting to work on a guide for the level editor soon, hopefully today even !

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Just started making tutorials for the level editor ! I think the best way for to explain stuff i through a video, so I'm planning on making about 5 videos explaining everything about the editor.
And here I uploaded the "day 1" video of this tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pohEu4lMq_Y
smile.gif
It basically explains how to create simple enemies and make them move. Next time I'll be explaining how to create patterns and have enemies shoot. So yeah, the most important stuff will be done by the second video, everything else will be more advanced techniques or stuff that isn't really important to everyone.
All the data that's used in the tutorial is in the package that's available in the video's description and which you can get right here : http://smealum.net/arsenal/levelEditor_package.rar
I'm also trying to get a written documentation done, so it won't be a tutorial but more of a reference/cheat sheet, and it'll complement the videos.

Now this is the first time I make a video where I actually talk, so any feedback would be good. I know the video is pretty long, but I really didn't want to skip anything. I also know that I tend to say "err..." a LOT in this video, and I'll try to stop doing this in the next video. Also, the audio isn't quite synced up with the video, and I'll also try to improve on that in the next video.

And I do realize that not that many people are really going to want to create levels for my game, but I really hope this will get a few people motivated.
smile.gif

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice job on the tutorial
yay.gif
. I tinkered with the editor a bit yesterday, and was having some display issues with the model viewer, but I figured it out and all is well now. I plan on putting out at least one level, though I suspect making it enjoyable will take a bit more time and experimentation than the editors I'm accustomed to.
Looking forward to "day 2".

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Sir_Voe said:
Nice job on the tutorial
yay.gif
. I tinkered with the editor a bit yesterday, and was having some display issues with the model viewer, but I figured it out and all is well now. I plan on putting out at least one level, though I suspect making it enjoyable will take a bit more time and experimentation than the editors I'm accustomed to.
Looking forward to "day 2".
Glad you find it helpful.
smile.gif
But yeah, the editor really isn't that intuitive. I can use it without any problems but that probably has to do with the fact that I made it.
nyanya.gif
I'd never used a level editor for a shoot em up game before though, so I really didn't have any reference, so you can see why it's probably really different from what you're used to.
Anyway, here's the day 2 video tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2CSiWXTs8Q. In there I try to explain how to make a simple first pattern, emitter and have enemies use it. I also explain the pause system for enemy rails and how to have enemies only shoot while they're pausing.
A few things though... first thing you'll notice is how the mouse pointer isn't in this video. That's a mistake on my part, I didn't see it until the video was uploaded and I'll definitely be fixing that in the next video. Also there's the fact that I didn't explain what "emitters" were for, I'll do that in the next video. Finally, this video is also pretty long (1 minute longer than the previous one I think), so I'll try to be more to-the-point in my next videos. But again this is the first time I make this kind of videos, so please don't be too harsh.
ph34r.gif

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up, I'm having some problems with my web host, so the the game's website is down. You can of course still download the game from filetrip.

However, this also means that all of the game's online features won't work for as long as this lasts...
dry.gif
I'll let you know when it works again !

Edit : the website is back online, so everything should be working fine now.
smile.gif

BigLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Second place! Way to go, man! GOOD job, mate!

I just wish I was skilled enough to actually play through your whole game, because it definitely deserves being among the top 3... heh.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
BigLord said:
Second place! Way to go, man! GOOD job, mate!

I just wish I was skilled enough to actually play through your whole game, because it definitely deserves being among the top 3... heh.
Thanks.
smile.gif
I probably should have worked on the levels more, because even for a game that's supposed to be hard, they're really hard and at times it's impossible to survive without using a continue. But I'm no level designer, so I guess I couldn't make better levels if I tried anyway.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...