Are you able to record 3DS gameplay using a VCR?

BIGTHEGRAFIS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you able to record 3DS gameplay using a VCR? I've seen some people record Wii, SNES, and NES gameplay using a VCR. i would like to know if there is some way to record 3DS footage using one. perhaps you could use this one technique i found that lets you hook up your 3ds to your tv and then use the VCR? (i don't know all that much about recording things on vcrs, so sorry if i sound stupid)

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's probably easier to setup Citra and record from that in HD, the streaming plugins were pretty limited and I don't think they install capture cards anymore...

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Would be rather convoluted but, sure, possible:

- Get the picture on a PC (streaming or "capture card")
- Get composite video (or S-video for a hi-band VCR) out of the computer (you can easily buy inexpensive converters online, assuming you're not using a typical 2000s computer/graphics card or raspberry pi that natively offers it)
- Make it fullscreen
- Select the right input and hit the small red button

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possible? Sure. But why would you? Better solutions exist, using a capture device, streaming, or emulation. VHS quality will look horrible on anything other than an old CRT television.

• Sad

BIGTHEGRAFIS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be rather convoluted but, sure, possible:

- Get the picture on a PC (streaming or "capture card")
- Get composite video (or S-video for a hi-band VCR) out of the computer (you can easily buy inexpensive converters online, assuming you're not using a typical 2000s computer/graphics card or raspberry pi that natively offers it)
- Make it fullscreen
- Select the right input and hit the small red button
thanks, i'll try it.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like the idea. Bringing old an new together can be a fun challenge.

VHS quality will look horrible on anything other than an old CRT television.
Seems you never had a good video recorder and good tapes. Capabilities of VHS aren't too far below 3DS resolution. S-VHS exceeds it.
But why would you?
Why not? Even ideas that serve no factual reason might be fun.

perhaps you could use this one technique i found that lets you hook up your 3ds to your tv and then use the VCR?
3DS capture devices (rare, expensive, hard to install) deliver digital data to a computer.

Thing is computers/graphic cards offering "TV out" are probably too weak to run Citra themselves.

Reactions: duwen and Ryccardo

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you mean old and old lol? the 3ds is 12 years old
No, I mean old and new lol. (Why is it always "lol" or even "lmao" in between a reply when having a different opinion? Are all other opinions but the own one laughable?)
The prevailing opinion of when things should be considered obsolete is and remains a sad display of decadence ← I could have chosen less polite words.
A device which hit the market 12 years ago and had active support until this year is not what I would call old and VHS is a significantly older technology compared to the 3DS.

Alas, nowadays a thing is old right after taking it out of the original packaging when having bought it new just a minute ago – and this won't change. Fast pace of life.

These days it's probably easier to just simulate VHS in editing software.
Yeah, and it is easier to just emulate all old consoles than hooking them up to current TVs without analog inputs.
Is this the same? No.
=============
=============

"I want to do 'X'. Can somebody give me a hint how to do it?"
I never understood these replies:
  • "Why would want to do this?"
  • "Do 'Y' instead."
  • "That makes no sense. Don't."
(Sometimes with in a package with some "lol")

There might be factual reason why something is impossible and suggesting an alternative approximating the intended result is a good idea. In my opinion this should not go without explanation why the original question is a bad idea (maybe if it is dangerous). Smug superiority: "Nowadays we handle things that way."

Reactions: duwen

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, and it is easier to just emulate all old consoles than hooking them up to current TVs without analog inputs.
Is this the same? No.
=============
=============

"I want to do 'X'. Can somebody give me a hint how to do it?"
I never understood these replies:
  • "Why would want to do this?"
  • "Do 'Y' instead."
  • "That makes no sense. Don't."
(Sometimes with in a package with some "lol")

There might be factual reason why something is impossible and suggesting an alternative approximating the intended result is a good idea. In my opinion this should not go without explanation why the original question is a bad idea (maybe if it is dangerous). Smug superiority: "Nowadays we handle things that way."

The reason I didn't give a VCR based method is because methods I would have used have already been mentioned and it seemed redundant to mention it again.

There's also the possibility that OP might not have thought of that solution, which depending on their motivation(s) for doing this might deliver a suitable result whilst potentially being easier and cheaper.

Let's say they want to produce something that looks dated, a decent VCR and tape might produce something superior to what they want.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also the possibility that OP might not have thought of that solution, which depending on their motivation(s) for doing this might deliver a suitable result whilst potentially being easier and cheaper.
Best thing that's been said in this thread. We don't know what OP's intentions are. Are they just looking for a way to record their 3DS gameplay, and VCR happened to be the first technology that crossed their mind, or are they intentionally going for a "New device on old equipment" look? (Or perhaps, "challenge"?)

Either way, the options are limited. Either get a 3DS capture card that's generally hard to find and hard to install, or use CFW and streaming over wifi. And finally of course, emulation. Any of those methods will allow you to view the video on a PC and/or record it. Then you'd still need a card with TV-Out to get that video to a VCR. There's currently no method of outputting composite directly from a 3DS.

@Ryccardo mentioned using a Raspberry Pi. That's actually a really good idea. OP would still need some sort of capture card on his 3DS, or to use wifi streaming if they're willing to live with the lower framerate and higher latency. But building a glorified HDMI-to-Analog converter using the Raspberry Pi shouldn't be too difficult.

Reactions: Valery0p

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game