Hacking Are turbo buttons possible?

mocalacace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've overclocked my GBA SP and was wondering if there was a way to make turbo A and B buttons so I dont have to constantly press them when playing pokemon?

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I know that N0$GBA (if that's how you spell it) can do that, but if you actually wanna use a GBA/SP, then just check these pages:
http://www.google.ae/search?sourceid=chrom...a+turbo+buttons

EDIT: At the ^ guy above.
Because GBA Pokemon games are extremely slow they can bore a person to death. Not just Pokemon, many other games too.

mocalacace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've googled it a couple times and all the results turn up stuff for no$gba which is what I don't want. I actually want to add a turbo a and b button to my gba

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that around the time of the Afterburner kits (for non-SP GBA) came out there were a bunch of mods, like overclocking and turbo button switches, but nothing that added an extra button, since that would be near impossible because you'd need to modify the motherboard in some way to add the actual extra buttons.
I suppose you could have some kind of non-contact button (all the buttons on GBA on have a 'membrane' that when pushed down bridges a connection and however long the button is held down is how long that connection stays open) them wired in some fashion to the existing buttons and have them 'pulse', but I think getting the whole thing compact enough to fit inside a GBA/GBASP would be difficult.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recall the thing thaddius is on about but if you really cared would it be that hard to wire an oscillating signal onto the GBA somewhere (without checking I am not sure but there should be test points you can latch on to and if not the pads/traces themselves are not too hard to play with)?
Have a look at some of the "simple" 360 controller mods (those people charging $50 for such a hack are chancers) for rapid fire as it is an almost identical idea.

Personally though if it was just for one game/genre/series I would head down the hacking patch. Most control hacks are a fairly similar in nature (find where the button IO memory location is copied to, if it is copied, then make it alternate/oscillate under certain conditions- usually if shoulder buttons and the A button are pressed or something like that).
It is for the DS touch screen but the idea is almost identical http://crackerscrap.com/ (documentation -> StarFox Command Control Hacking Tutorial ).

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Turbo buttons are for losers who can't rapidly press the A button.

JK, If you want to make turbo buttons you will first need to find space on the gameboy itself. And you will need to know programming and circuting. Circute the turbo buttons to the main board and then you will need programming to programm the gameboy to identify the buttons as "rapid a/b" and then make a patch for the game ( This can only work on flashcarts) to identify the buttons. Well its hard and instead of doing this you would rather build a DS flashcart.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AlanJohn said:

JK, If you want to make turbo buttons you will first need to find space on the gameboy itself. And you will need to know programming and circuting. Circute the turbo buttons to the main board and then you will need programming to programm the gameboy to identify the buttons as "rapid a/b" and then make a patch for the game ( This can only work on flashcarts) to identify the buttons. Well its hard and instead of doing this you would rather build a DS flashcart.
Not true in the slightest. I'm pretty sure you'd just wire up buttons in such a way that when they are held, they constantly start and then stop the signal sent by pressing the button. A very common mod on most consoles, which does NOT require modification of the game in any way.

EDIT: A google search tells me it may require a "NE555 chip" (which is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC), but not sure what exactly you'd do with it etc.

EDIT: I think this is what would be needed : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC#Astable_mode (one mode of operation on that chip, which sends repeated pulses)

mocalacace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
I'm pretty sure that around the time of the Afterburner kits (for non-SP GBA) came out there were a bunch of mods, like overclocking and turbo button switches, but nothing that added an extra button, since that would be near impossible because you'd need to modify the motherboard in some way to add the actual extra buttons.
I suppose you could have some kind of non-contact button (all the buttons on GBA on have a 'membrane' that when pushed down bridges a connection and however long the button is held down is how long that connection stays open) them wired in some fashion to the existing buttons and have them 'pulse', but I think getting the whole thing compact enough to fit inside a GBA/GBASP would be difficult.

Yeah I was thinking about add a switch so it makes the a and b turbo then flip the switch to turn it off. And I have some 555timers to work with so I'll do some more research

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
twiztidsinz said:
AlanJohn said:
As opposed to the losers who think there is some skill involved in rapidly pressing a button?
shootingwatchhudson.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You join and bump a 3 year old, mostly answered, thread for a soft sales pitch for something that basically every PC emulator will have for free? Did this thread come up especially high in the search rankings or something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know bout sets, I downloaded all the roms for mine separately.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?