Hacking Are there any people with EZ Omega that havent had issues?

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you've saved, make sure to wait for the sd card to do it's job. 1-2 seconds is probably good but just wait 5ish to be sure. Allow it to finish.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you've saved, make sure to wait for the sd card to do it's job. 1-2 seconds is probably good but just wait 5ish to be sure. Allow it to finish.
I will be honest, to me it seems like common sense to just wait after saving the game just so enough time is given to write the data correctly. I could understand if maybe it was a v1.00 situation where at random points saves would corrupt, but considering the issue has been fixed, part of me feels like people are shutting the system off right after saving without giving the data time to write to the SD card, thus messing up their saves.

Just remember we are working with SD cards, not save chips soldered to the PCB, so instantaneous writes will vary between the two.

Reactions: isoboy

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just remember we are working with SD cards, not save chips soldered to the PCB, so instantaneous writes will vary between the two.

True, but to be fair, the Omega is the only flashcard on the market for this system this applies to. All the other cards commonly used (EZ-Flash IV, Reform, Jr., Everdrive GBA, GBC) do save on chips soldered to the PCB and transfer that over to the SD on next boot (with a dialog message describing the process). I guess people assumed the Omega would behave the same in this regard and I can understand that it can be frustrating to lose your saves because you're not aware of this specific behaviour on this card.

That being said, I am still more than happy with my Omega, it's my prefered flashcard and if someone prefers their Everdrive X5, so be it.

Reactions: EZ-Flash2

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but to be fair, the Omega is the only flashcard on the market for this system this applies to. All the other cards commonly used (EZ-Flash IV, Reform, Jr., Everdrive GBA, GBC) do save on chips soldered to the PCB and transfer that over to the SD on next boot (with a dialog message describing the process). I guess people assumed the Omega would behave the same in this regard and I can understand that it can be frustrating to lose your saves because you're not aware of this specific behaviour on this card.

That being said, I am still more than happy with my Omega, it's my prefered flashcard and if someone prefers their Everdrive X5, so be it.
Well said, thanks for backing my claim up about both being viable!

playstays_shun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little late to the party, however I've had an EZ-Flash Omega for about two years now, so I think my experiences count towards this question.

When I first got the flashcart, it was using v1.00 (I don't know if current production models use the first version still or not), I didn't update it right away as I just wanted to see if the flashcart worked first (sometimes a bad batch run can happen), it worked fine when running games and what not, I did notice that saves would get corrupted, however it turned out that v1.00 was just bugged, updating the firmware/kernel fixed this issue. Aside from that issue (which got fixed), my experiences so far have been good with it, I haven't hit the funky issues people have reported about yet. I am not sure what's going on with other people's unfortunately.

As a flashcart collector, the battle between the EverDrive GBA X5/X5 Mini and the EZ-Flash Omega seems kind of pointless. Both are superb flashcarts in their respective ways, true one is much more expensive over the other, but regardless, the experience isn't different between the two at the end of the day, they both do what you want them to do. Just a matter of how much you are willing to spend for one of them.

That's interesting you never had save issues after that point past v1.00

in my few weeks of testing EZ Omega I had save issues and gave every save a solid period of time before in game reset or turning off the system

so much so I returned it and am waiting on an x5 mini. I cant afford to restart games I've poured tons of hours in

Had good luck with Krikzz' other products too. just wish it would hurry up and get here. but I have the GB x3 to keep me busy in the interim

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting you never had save issues after that point past v1.00

in my few weeks of testing EZ Omega I had save issues and gave every save a solid period of time before in game reset or turning off the system

so much so I returned it and am waiting on an x5 mini. I cant afford to restart games I've poured tons of hours in

Had good luck with Krikzz' other products too. just wish it would hurry up and get here. but I have the GB x3 to keep me busy in the interim
Sounds like the case of careless batch releases honestly. Seems like the first batches of these devices tend to be good, but then later models get released and it's practically no holds bared. I could be wrong obviously, maybe I just got lucky, I actually have two EZ-Flash Omega flashcarts, the extra is backup in case something goes wrong with the current.

Side Note:
It would be nice if someone created a homebrew application that dumps the 1.00 firmware from the EZ-Flash Omega. If we can write new firmware versions to the device, I don't see why we can't dump it. This could be extremely useful because we would be able to tell is the firmware is corrupted or not with more than one variant available. It's also useful because we might be able to flash 1.00 to the device again as sort of a fail safe method if we have to reapply updates again.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Sounds like the case of careless batch releases honestly. Seems like the first batches of these devices tend to be good, but then later models get released and it's practically no holds bared. I could be wrong obviously, maybe I just got lucky, I actually have two EZ-Flash Omega flashcarts, the extra is backup in case something goes wrong with the current.

It's a misconception, FW1 only exists as a failsafe when users fail to upgrade a new version of the firmware. To ensure that users can at least get back into the system after a failed upgrade to try to perform the next upgrade.

There is no claim that FW1 is more stable, all updates are iterated out on older versions.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a misconception, FW1 only exists as a failsafe when users fail to upgrade a new version of the firmware. To ensure that users can at least get back into the system after a failed upgrade to try to perform the next upgrade.

There is no claim that FW1 is more stable, all updates are iterated out on older versions.
Never claimed it was more stable, I was just saying it was bugged with save data at launch, but got fixed with a firmware/kernel (since it's combined) update. As for the comment you quoted, I am talking about batches of the flashcart itself. Maybe there is a hardware problem with later production models that causes the issues people have been having. Now I know I already mentioned I haven't had issues so far, but the fact others are on the same version that I use but them having issues seems kind of weird. They can't be software kinks because I use what others use, so it only leaves hardware as the culprit, maybe there is a bad solder joint or something of the sorts being the nagging problem.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little late to the party, however I've had an EZ-Flash Omega for about two years now, so I think my experiences count towards this question.

When I first got the flashcart, it was using v1.00 (I don't know if current production models use the first version still or not), I didn't update it right away as I just wanted to see if the flashcart worked first (sometimes a bad batch run can happen), it worked fine when running games and what not, I did notice that saves would get corrupted, however it turned out that v1.00 was just bugged, updating the firmware/kernel fixed this issue. Aside from that issue (which got fixed), my experiences so far have been good with it, I haven't hit the funky issues people have reported about yet. I am not sure what's going on with other people's unfortunately.

As a flashcart collector, the battle between the EverDrive GBA X5/X5 Mini and the EZ-Flash Omega seems kind of pointless. Both are superb flashcarts in their respective ways, true one is much more expensive over the other, but regardless, the experience isn't different between the two at the end of the day, they both do what you want them to do. Just a matter of how much you are willing to spend for one of them.

Yep what bugged me originally about the Ez Flash Omega was that it was incompatible with my two newly modded original GBA systems I bought from China. That was quickly resolved with an update. It's a great flash cart but there probably are a lot of flaws that I overlooked. I don't really play all that much.

I suppose Krikzz flash cart uses less battery but Ez Flash Omega is cheaper and has RTC too. So really depends how much you want to spend.

I will say this though, Krikzz has excellent quality flash carts and I highly recommend his products the majority of the time. The clones of his products are sub-par. I own one GBC clone cart it doesn't have all the features of a Krikzz cart but it gets the job done and I don't play Pokemon, they ruined that series with the terrible cartoon lmao.

Hobs0gba

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i didn't have any issues with the first game i loaded, then i removed the sd to add more games, and nothing has started up since, all white screen after "clean boot" and nothing will load to the "norflash" unless its well under 4mb

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Never had any SD problem either in about a month of total use (thanks to the LED mod I can see that the file is sent to the SD in well less than 2 seconds, add just a little more for the card itself to finish writing), this came from a convincing ebay seller

Now the RTC is not very accurate...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1