Are all Wii-U's versions the same for modding??

PigeonBreath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi.

Are all Wii-U's 32GB ones the same? Doesn't matter the year they were made etc?? For example for modding, some Wii's had potential for BootMii as Boot2 while others didn't, that kinda thing.

Thanx!

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newer ones lose the data if not turned on every 5 or 10 years or so. Some have died. That's why that new mod chip happened, to add an SD instead of the NAND to fix it. The Toshiba ones as aren't prone to have the issue, if I understand.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The newer ones lose the data
It's more like the older ones (Hynix from 2012 / beginning of 2013). Also at some point in time this will most likely affect all Wii Us as this is a problem of flash memory as is, these old Hynix just show the symtoms more early.

That's why that new mod chip happened, to add an SD instead of the NAND to fix it.
The mod chip isn't really for this. In most cases all you need is a NAND-AID and a way to run the recovery menu, then you can clone the eMMC to the SD and fix the corruptions there.

The mod chip is needed only in case the filesystem corrupted beyond repair or if you want to upgrade to 64 GB (in these cases you'll loose all data through).

Last edited by V10lator,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more like the older ones (Hynix from 2012 / beginning of 2013). Also at some point in time this will most likely affect all Wii Us as this is a problem of flash memory as is, these old Hynix just show the symtoms more early.

The mod chip isn't really for this. In most cases all you need is a NAND-AID and a way to run the recovery menu, then you can clone the eMMC to the SD and fix the corruptions there.

The mod chip is needed only in case the filesystem corrupted beyond repair or if you want to upgrade to 64 GB (in these cases you'll loose all data through).
Cool. Couldn't recall the particulars. I thought the Hynix were the later ones. I remember someone saying "Video game manufacturers don't typically figure out ways to make the consoles cost more" Each revision is typically cheaper.

Thanks for the information. I have a Toshiba revision, thankfully.

Reactions: Blythe93

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I remember someone saying "Video game manufacturers don't typically figure out ways to make the consoles cost more" Each revision is typically cheaper.
Yes but cheaper (low cost) is only indirectly related to cheap (crap), there are many examples of this even sticking to the field of computer mass storage (for one, at launch the SMR WD Reds were a couple dollars more than their predecessors), and in this specific case it's simply part of "specifications may vary" = factory restocking with best offering supplier (not that Hynix was the latest newcomer but even Samsung and Sandisk [sellout to WD] have had similar problems)

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but cheaper (low cost) is only indirectly related to cheap (crap), there are many examples of this even sticking to the field of computer mass storage (for one, at launch the SMR WD Reds were a couple dollars more than their predecessors), and in this specific case it's simply part of "specifications may vary" = factory restocking with best offering supplier (not that Hynix was the latest newcomer but even Samsung and Sandisk [sellout to WD] have had similar problems)
Sure, but that's not usually the case with Ninty. Each variant tends to get a little more fragile or slightly less functional. I hated TN displays and only my launch New 3DS had dual IPS, for example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay