ROM Hack AP patches as cheat codes?

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It used to be that one would get a cheatcode version of an AP fix alongside the patches, but most of the ROMs seem to just come prepatched and there's no codes to be found for some games. I'm in a bit of a fix because of this.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=286097&hl=5501

DS release 5501. There's a translation patch for the game, but it apparently overwrites the AP patch. The AP patch refuses to be applied over the translation because the game's no longer recognized. Would load a cheatcode as an AP fix still work? And if so, how can I get/make one?

D

Deleted User

Sorry Im no help
ohnoes.png
,but Why not play the english version :/?

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The English version is just the original game. In Japan, a second version (the
Professional version) was released earlier this year with a bunch more monsters, new events, and generally a more polished game. I just finished the English one which is very empty in comparison to the Pro version.

You really enjoy the game more with the pro version
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They no longer come as cheats because AP developers started adding hundreds of checks to games rather than the maybe five or six (or less) which can be bypassed with a few cheats where current games would require hundreds (out of range of most cheat engines).

However some messing around could get you something (although there might be downsides)

To the best of my knowledge all AP seen on the DS is contained in the binaries or overlays (nobody trying something more dynamic) so you might want to try taking the language patched rom, deconstruct the rom with whatever program you choose (ndstool, crystaltile2, ndsexplorer.....), deconstruct the AP patched rom and grab all the overlays and ARM?.bin files and overwrite the translation patched ones before rebuilding it and trying that on your cart.

The downside is it is not just pure game code in the binaries but text and all sorts can appear there as well (no idea if it did for this game but being a big RPG......) so if the translation patch overwrote text you will have just undone the lot (which might also cause the rom to not work if the hack changed the text encoding (16 to 8 bit is still done)). You could attempt to merge the two and it might not even be all that difficult as long as the translation patch has not changed too many lengths of things (doubtful but not impossible) or you have to play with compression*- indeed you might even be able to stack patches for the binaries and overlays (generate a stock to AP patch and a stock to translation and apply the AP one and then the patch one).

*when making the patches you would have to decompress the binaries. Several tools that should be able to do it are available- http://code.google.com/p/dsdecmp/ and crystaltile2 being my usual two for basic binary format compression (it is different to standard game file compression but still known/understood).

Celice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hum? That's interesting. I was wondering when the AP protection was gonna get a bit more complex.

Luckily nothing too complex was going on in this game. I just opened the game in a hex editor and manually edited in the patch-data. Working fine so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong