Anyone else just not impressed with the new generation of consoles? (Rant)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I went from PS1 => PS2 => XBOX 360 => PS3 => PS4 and I totally agree with you. The jump from PS3 to PS4 is just prettier graphics. I still remembered when I discussed it with my friends when PS3 and XBOX 360 came out. We were like, did u see the clothes and hair swinging realistically? Also GTA SA to GTA IV.
PS4 just makes those more realistic like PS5 did to PS4.

PS2 to PS3 is like 3DS to Switch IMO. PS3 to PS4 or PS4 to PS5 is just like upgrading from GTX 1080 to RTX 2080.
Yeah, I never liked the PS3/360 era of overbloomed and desaturated games, but the cheap-looking shadows and mipmapping really made it all look like garbage for me. I generally don't miss that era, with the exception of a few REALLY well-done games.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean how many people can honestly say that they had beaten all of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft exclusive titles? Normally when we jump from one gen to another there are alot of games that never finish. I experienced this with my transition from my PS3 to PS4. I have a huge gaming catalogue to keep me busy for maybe 10-20 years.

Let's not forget something important with each new gen the game content get less and less. PS3 era we had received 2 GOW games , 3 uncharted games , 2 Killzone Games, and PS4 era we only received 1 (with the exception of Uncharted Lost Legacy) GTA is another example we received GTA IV, Episodes of Liberty City and also GTA V on PS3/360 era. PS4/XB1 era all we received was a port so in a way the higher generation we climb the less of the gaming catalogue we are receiving.

We pay more for next gen but we actually receive less

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I never liked the PS3/360 era of overbloomed and desaturated games, but the cheap-looking shadows and mipmapping really made it all look like garbage for me. I generally don't miss that era, with the exception of a few REALLY well-done games.

While I don't like the graphics of that era either, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see the surrounding culture of gaming return to simply being about who's console/services/accessories/whatever is better as opposed to the endless cesspool of politics that the industry has become ever since this happened:

Like, ever since the consoles have had what is essentially very similar, if not the same hardware inside of them, just with varying amounts of RAM, CPU speed, cooling, *insert things that used to be reserved exclusively for PCs as an object of concern for gamers*, people stopped caring and the debate moved to everything else.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean how many people can honestly say that they had beaten all of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft exclusive titles? Normally when we jump from one gen to another there are alot of games that never finish. I experienced this with my transition from my PS3 to PS4. I have a huge gaming catalogue to keep me busy for maybe 10-20 years.

Let's not forget something important with each new gen the game content get less and less. PS3 era we had received 2 GOW games , 3 uncharted games , 2 Killzone Games, and PS4 era we only received 1 (with the exception of Uncharted Lost Legacy) GTA is another example we received GTA IV, Episodes of Liberty City and also GTA V on PS3/360 era. PS4/XB1 era all we received was a port so in a way the higher generation we climb the less of the gaming catalogue we are receiving.

We pay more for next gen but we actually receive less

It's all about the services now. You buy a game on launch day? Congratulations! You get to foot the bigger bills upfront to access new content made for the game so it'll be like you bought the game two or three times! *coughs in every NRS game after Injustice 1*

Games back then had to ship finished for the most part. Sure, that happened in the 7th generation of consoles too, but there still seemed to be enough of a shit given to QC for most of the generation to where it didn't become a prominent problem until the 8th gen systems and their updates which could take up gigabytes going into the 10's!

Reactions: Goku1992A

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Silent_Gunner

The thing that worries me in the future are those "game updates". If emulators did not exist we wouldn't be able to play 95% of the current retro gaming catalogue. This is why I am a firm believer of unlocking any console at EOL to preserve the catalogue because eventually they can't keep the servers for too long nor transfer game updates into the future. This brings it to the "digital games" how can they guarantee me I can play my PS4 digital games 20 years from now. Sure the PS5 can play PS4 games but what about the PS6 will that carry over the PS4 games or will they do a PS4 more and ditch the PS3 games because the architecture is too complex/different. If the PS3 was never unlocked we would be at the mercy of using PS Now or whatever remake there is to continue to play PS3 games.

This is why companies "cough Nintendo" are so antsy about piracy because why would I need to buy Wind Waker remake when my PC can play the game at 4K 60FPS on CEMU emulator. I hope the PS3 gets 100% emulated and also the PS4 because eventually the physical hardware for consoles will die eventually. If you have a emulator with the proper game updates stored it can last for generations.

To this very day we never received a GBC Classic, GBA Classic , PS2 Classic and if we do all they are going to do is maybe throw you 20 "popular games" this is why emulation is so vital and essential.

Last edited by Goku1992A,
Reactions: r5xscn

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
PS4 looks like a giant eraser and the Xbone is a VHS player.
Didn't stop me from getting both and spending thousands of hours on GTAO and RDO with @AtsuNii

Pretty certain we're going to have a similar amount of fun if not more from the new generation!

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

In my case, I did not know any better at the time. For example, if you ask me about NFS MW graphics in the PS2 era, I would say it looks good. But if you ask me now, I would say it's too brown or desaturated. I call this ignorance is bliss. If you don't know any better then you would think that is the best. However, after seeing PS4 games, I would say it's not that improved from PS3 games, just higher res and smoother fps. Gameplay-wise almost no change.

Regarding, PS4 to PS5, I still need to wait for the next-gen (>PS5) before giving any conclusion.

This is why companies "cough Nintendo" are so antsy about piracy because why would I need to buy Wind Waker remake when my PC can play the game at 4K 60FPS on CEMU emulator. I hope the PS3 gets 100% emulated and also the PS4 because eventually the physical hardware for consoles will die eventually. If you have a emulator with the proper game updates stored it can last for generations.

RPCS3 is not 100% yet but it works well enough for me. I played Fat Princess on it without any issue on 1060 3GB and a 4 cores i7.

Last edited by r5xscn,

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well it’s bound to be less exciting now. We used to have pretty major technological advancements driving new generations. 8bit > 16bit > 32 Bit > 64bit. Most of those came with customised hardware, unique processor and GPU designs and so on.

We could visibly see the leap from generation to generation, it was amazing. Now, well now we just have PCs in a box. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but they have to build to a price point - a relatively low price point. So we don’t get quite so dramatic visual changes. Small, but noticeable improvements are where we’re at now.

These can be very welcome, higher frame rates, actual 4K (well, in some cases) instead of upscaled, better visual fidelity in reflections and shadows, significantly faster loading times. These are all welcome, but compared to completely new, custom, significantly more powerful hardware, it’s less of a jump.

We are limited by the technological state of the building blocks of the hardware we use - he said, not wanting to write ten paragraphs on the limitations of modern hardware.

Until there is a fundamental breakthrough in everything from the mediums used to create the microchips, even to the architecture they use, and so on and so on. We won’t see huge generational jumps in visual fidelity. We will see constant, gradual improvements.

A few years from now, you’ll see the real benefits of the hardware that’s just been released. Developers need time to adjust to the new hardware and begin to push it. Although, that’s arguably easier now that it’s just essentially the same as the last generation, just more power to throw around.

SithLord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm late on this post but I totally feel the same exact way as you do about these "Next" or "Current" gen consoles. I missed the days when consoles used to actually stand out from each other like the 4th, 5th, and 6th gen consoles have(from SNES/Genesis to PS2/Gamecube/OG Xbox/Dreamcast) and showcased to us that with great exclusive games that actually showed how unique these console hardwares are from each other and even from PC. Now the PS5 feels absolutely nothing different from the Xbox Series X/S. The Nintendo Switch is somewhat the only current gen platform that actually stands out.

Last edited by SithLord,

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
If you've been around since the Golden Age of gaming obviously you've been there, done that when it comes to watching a new tech evolve and the innovation that creates. All that comes after is iterative and repetitive in nature.

What else can they give you beyond "ooh, shiny!" these days. That and the lack of creativity/risk taking I've spoken of previously, wokeism/politics shoved into every game and ever increasing amounts of corporate greed that seemed to have long since shed the pretense of decency to fleece gamers as hard as they can means its pretty much done and has been for a while.

For younger folks just coming into it now its no doubt mindblowingly amazing but thats more to do with youth and newness whereas older people have seen it all before. Circle of life and all that.

The Wii U flopping and the Switch success proved that gamers on a whole don't want innovation/novel experiences with depth and are happy with surface level progression whilst the underlying gameplay remains the same. That (to me) was the last chance of evolution in gaming and people just didn't get it because developed it could've became something revolutionary that paved the way to totally new experiences that were just as expansive as going from Pong to Super Mario World to Ridge Racer was.

Instead you'll get more of the same from now on as it makes more money with less risk. Same in a lot of creative fields really due to the way corporations work.

Everyone uses the same base and puts on a different garnish then calls it a new dish whereas before it was all cooked up using their own ingredients and a secret recipe and that made it unique.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For younger folks just coming into it now its no doubt mindblowingly amazing but thats more to do with youth and newness

I wish it was that, but what I actually see are people who are so accustomed to amazing tech that it's just a normal part of their life and not amazing at all. I really wonder if the current generation will ever get to feel that awe that we felt at the beginning.

Oddly enough, I still find myself taken aback by graphics and sounds from certain games of those early generations.. and I think it might be that perspective that allows me to also be impressed by the current, more advanced consoles.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I find that a lot more of the rudimentary stuff oozed character and thought due to having to creatively get around limitation and prevail to create something awesome. Indys are great at this and keep the spirit alive in the modern age.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is still being updated? Well, okay.

I'm not impressed with the new generation because I can't get my grubby hands on said generation. Sure, it's not Sony's (or Microsoft's) fault there's a chip shortage, but still quite annoying - why not postpone said new generation until AFTER the shortage becomes a fullage, if not an excess? Sure, it'd mean sticking with years-old consoles for a while more, but it wouldn't create a scenario of haves and have-nots, y'know?

Reactions: Jayro

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Also no real legit way to play old PS2 classics, like Ratchet & Clank or Persona 3 FES and stuff. I don't care if it's emulation or backwards-compatibility; I just want to buy and play my childhood favourite games again.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everytime I see talk of the PS5 or the Xbox Series X/S and their fancy new 4k ray-traced 60fps graphics, all I feel is "meh."

I remember when a new console generation was exciting. I remember being amazed at how the Wii U had HD graphics or how sleek and sophisticated the PS4 and its UI looked or just laughing at how Microsoft was putting gamers second with the Xbox One.

Now I just look at the PS5 and lament how it looks like a goddamn wi-fi router or how the Xbox Series X looks like a refrigerator. The last console I was excited for was the Nintendo Switch (which to me was always a "next-gen console"), and even still, Breath of the Wild actually didn't impress me until I actually bought it. Am I getting old? Has PC gaming desensitized me to next-gen graphics!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!?!?

Anyone else feel the same?
Agreed, you get a PS5/Series S or X line of console for their performance, it's nice to have but other then that you're don't really get it for much else.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also no real legit way to play old PS2 classics, like Ratchet & Clank or Persona 3 FES and stuff. I don't care if it's emulation or backwards-compatibility; I just want to buy and play my childhood favourite games again.
Yes. I really loath on PlayStation that you can't play older games, Xbox is years ahead in this regard, you could get MW2 or RDR1 on the Xbox store, you can't really say the same for the PSN store, Jim Ryan does not give 10 shits about preservation in that sense.

SithLord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I really loath on PlayStation that you can't play older games, Xbox is years ahead in this regard, you could get MW2 or RDR1 on the Xbox store, you can't really say the same for the PSN store, Jim Ryan does not give 10 shits about preservation in that sense.
Sony relocating their Playstation headquarters to California and Jim Ryan are the very worst things to ever happen to the Playstation brand.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I have all 3 consoles, I think this Gen is about speed (load times are seconds or instant now) rather than graphics. The ps5 is lacking in a few features, and it's ui is questionable to an extent, the series x has some of those missing Playstation features, but it has some sleep mode problems. The switch has the fewest features, longest loading times, but close to no bugs.

Reactions: Glyptofane

Glyptofane

🇵🇸
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem with Nintendo Switch other than being a port dumpster is the garbage hardware that's practically guaranteed to break even from light use. Joy-Con drift is a given, but it eventually happens with Pro Controllers as well.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The PS3 Store is, for the time being, still operational...though the fact THAT is the only way to purchase and play digital PS2 games is damning by itself. Not to mention that it could shutter at any time, like it almost did a year or so ago; player outcry won't keep it open forever.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sony relocating their Playstation headquarters to California and Jim Ryan are the very worst things to ever happen to the Playstation brand.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what California has to do with anything...could you please elaborate on that?
Jim Ryan makes sense - can't trust corporate leaders to be anything but avaricious - but changing locations doesn't without some kind of explanation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    im gonna puke
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Laughing face + 2
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    finally, a zelda game where you play as zelda
    it only took 40 years
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @The Real Jdbye, They finally got the naming convention right.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now lets rename all of the old Zelda games to The Legend of Link. Lol.
    they kinda did that with zelda 2 at least it had link in the title
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssDGBTssUI