Hacking GCN Any way to use SDloader or GCOS to use SD2SP?

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
I recently found my old GameCube, which I have action replay and a memory card that can boot into GCOS and sdloader as it was modded way back in the day to boot backups burnt to regular size disks (yeah it has a case mod too). I am hoping it can utalize SD2SP without having to get an SD gecko (or whatever alternative there is), but I don't really know how all that stuff works. Do I need to use anything else like swiss or something or would I be able to just plug the SD2SP with backups loaded onto the SD card so I could use it with GCOS or SDloader or would I need to set up some of the newer stuff like swiss to get it to work?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
as it was modded way back in the day to boot backups burnt to regular size disks
Wouldn't it be the easiest to just burn latest Swiss to a DVD-R then?
I mean if it has a modchip this should just work – and Swiss will allow you to use virtually any connected storage device.

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
It has no modchip and I don't have any way to burn a DVD... Or well actually I possibly can with my laptop, but was kind of hoping there was just a way to use GCOS or SDloader to be able to access an SD card in an SD2SP so I could transfer the .dol since I don't really know where the SDgecko went off to

Edit: There's also SD2SP deals with swiss boot disk I could get, but was hoping to spend as little as possible because my finances are a bit tight right now so every dollar counts even though the difference is probably less then 10 dollars without the swiss boot disk

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It has no modchip
Then I possibly misunderstood something. The console wont simply boot burned media without modchip. Why the case mod for big DVD-R when there is no modchip?

Edit: There's also SD2SP deals with swiss boot disk I could get, but was hoping to spend as little as possible because my finances are a bit tight right now so every dollar counts even though the difference is probably less then 10 dollars without the swiss boot disk
Be careful with this. Swiss boot discs will most likely be just DVD-R as well. At best somebody pressed normal DVD-ROM which increases chances of the console reading them (bad laser/drives in GC), but will not get around the copy protection. Such discs will require the presence of a modchip as well.
Some time ago there was an expensive offering containing a true self-booting disc with SD2SP2 and SD-Gecko. It was heavily overpriced and I can't find it anymore. Anybody selling a disc should mention if it requires a modchip or not.
=====

I don't think the older GCOS or the SD Media Launcher software support access to SP2. You will need some kind of entry point to load Swiss. Savegame exploits can be copied to Memory Card with a Wii or another GameCube already having easy homebrew loading.
There are a lot of possibilities. PicoBoot for example will eliminate the need for any disc.

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
Then I possibly misunderstood something. The console wont simply boot burned media without modchip. Why the case mod for big DVD-R when there is no modchip?

Be careful with this. Swiss boot discs will most likely be just DVD-R as well. At best somebody pressed normal DVD-ROM which increases chances of the console reading them (bad laser/drives in GC), but will not get around the copy protection. Such discs will require the presence of a modchip as well.
Some time ago there was an expensive offering containing a true self-booting disc with SD2SP2 and SD-Gecko. It was heavily overpriced and I can't find it anymore. Anybody selling a disc should mention if it requires a modchip or not.
=====

I don't think the older GCOS or the SD Media Launcher software support access to SP2. You will need some kind of entry point to load Swiss. Savegame exploits can be copied to Memory Card with a Wii or another GameCube already having easy homebrew loading.
There are a lot of possibilities. PicoBoot for example will eliminate the need for any disc.
The GameCube can boot burnt games with GCOS (used to use it to boot burnt gamecube games on full size DVD that can fit because it has a case mod) so I'm assuming it can boot swiss using the same method... So it sounds like I'll need either a swiss boot disk to access a SD2SP or I'll need a SDGecko to copy swiss.dol to my memory card with the modified action replay file that lets me boot .dol files. If I got the SDGecko would I use SDLoader or GCOS to be able to access the stuff on the SDGecko and move it to the memory card I use to boot the .dol loader. Just to clarify it's not the action replay memory card thing, but an actual GameCube memory card that has the action replay memory card file on it.

Edit: Also forgot to add the laser definitely works as I wouldn't be able to load action replay if it didn't. Plus I've booted a couple games I own so I'm positive it works fine. Of course that might not always be the case, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there as I really don't use it that much so it probably won't end up being an issue especially if I start booting games via an SD card.

Last edited by DaMegaTaco,

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
So I have been able to boot into swiss using a disk, but I need help figuring out how to transfer the swiss boot file from my SD card to my GameCube memory card. Can someone help me figure out how to transfer the file over? I tried GCMM like someone suggested I try, but I can't figure out a way to transfer stuff into the memory card from the SD and only onto the SD from the memory card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!