Hacking And this is exactly why we need a true modchip.

djp-AKA-bionic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same exact reason everyone gave up. In order to beat the hypervisor (secruity gaurd dog) you need to learn about the hypervisor. Problem is, the hypervisor is not documented all that well. And any individual that got a hardmod, just gave up because they got what they needed, and didn't bother looking for a softmod.
like i said, there were free solutions
It's not that hard to understand, a one off purchase is cheaper than making multiple purchases.

You're also assuming everyone would just pirate every game and not buy any.

i buy my games because i like to play online, however lets be real, the majority of these dudes waiting around here for hax is wanting to pirate, sure there are a bunch who are just interested in poking around like i am, but the majority these guys want free games..

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i buy my games because i like to play online, however lets be real, the majority of these dudes waiting around here for hax is wanting to pirate, sure there are a bunch who are just interested in poking around like i am, but the majority these guys want free games..
you are probably right.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it is really hard to believe, there exist these battery worrying freaks. People that go around with tinfoil hats, telling tales that you shouldn't leave your Switch on the dock because it will make the battery explode, and that you should turn it always completely off so the government can't spy on you and also make your battery explode.
Well for me is the complete reverse... Why would I leave it in standby...

I prefer maintaining my battery at 100% all the time and use a battery power bank to keep playing portable with the battery always at 100%...

Anyway why would I want my console wasting its battery while I'm not playing, why it will do a huge amount of cycles in a year again done by the console it self and not me playing... I want all the battery I can get all for playing, so this means, lowest brightness all the time, connectivity OFF, sound at low volume, motion sensors disabled in-game (if it allows), light sensor OFF...

If I wanted my console to drain battery while I'm not using I would rather put standby option to never and just let the switch have the LCD on 4 ever and be happy with the battery being used by the console and not me.

Reactions: geodeath

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For everyone thinking about dualboot:

Once you booted tethered into CFW, you can switch (;)) the os with a warmboot.
You only need the CFW to offer a way to change what the warmboot.bin loads. So it loads a loader from SD instead of reactivating the system currently sleeping in RAM.
Easy. No modchip needed, no pc needed once in CFW.

The other direction would be the same. Proably not even that much more difficult once a package (for linux) is created that handles shutdown / sleep mode.

Reactions: notimp

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well for me is the complete reverse... Why would I leave it in standby...

I prefer maintaining my battery at 100% all the time and use a battery power bank to keep playing portable with the battery always at 100%...

Anyway why would I want my console wasting its battery while I'm not playing, why it will do a huge amount of cycles in a year again done by the console it self and not me playing... I want all the battery I can get all for playing, so this means, lowest brightness all the time, connectivity OFF, sound at low volume, motion sensors disabled in-game (if it allows), light sensor OFF...

If I wanted my console to drain battery while I'm not using I would rather put standby option to never and just let the switch have the LCD on 4 ever and be happy with the battery being used by the console and not me.
So you can jump directly into where you left your game, exact place, frame, etc. No waiting time, no restarting from a save/checkpoint required. You need to get out of the bus/whatever? Just put it into sleep. You are in a new place where you can resume your game? Just wake it up. That's a cool feature, if it means I will have to change the battery in 4 years instead of 5, then I will gladly do so, opening the console and ungluing the battery is not that hard IMHO....
Now, if I were let's say, travelling between nowhere and the wilderness, with no power socket in the foreseeable future, sure I will try to economize energy, but that is not usually the case.

Reactions: einsteinx2

djp-AKA-bionic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday’s dust hasn’t even settled and people are already complaining.

if you took this post as a complaint, its not, i actually prefer a modchip as it gives me something to play around with in the garage...

i was just stating the obvious, as to why its needed (as of the state of things right now atleast)

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Kate's Bootrom Exploit Paired with Fusee still requires a PC to launch the payload, and the shorting every time the console reboots/power cycles making it a tethered exploit.

I could be wrong as I have not had confirmation yet from Team Xecuter, but being a long time beta tester (since the 90's) for them, I think its pretty safe to assume that the modchip itself will send the payload through a button cominbation or on/off switch of some sort which will enable it at will to boot from the SD card or extra NAND if thats the route they took. Therefor no computer required. Much better solution IMO.

@yardie
I'm not sure but I think that the shorting method will only be needed once, and them you'll be able to boot the exploit anytime (considering that the first time you do that, you'd install any coldboot CFW).

Modchips are always a method for lazy people or a last resort when nothing else works.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you can jump directly into where you left your game, exact place, frame, etc. No waiting time, no restarting from a save/checkpoint required. You need to get out of the bus/whatever? Just put it into sleep. You are in a new place where you can resume your game? Just wake it up. That's a cool feature, if it means I will have to change the battery in 4 years instead of 5, then I will gladly do so, opening the console and ungluing the battery is not that hard IMHO....
Now, if I were let's say, travelling between nowhere and the wilderness, with no power socket in the foreseeable future, sure I will try to economize energy, but that is not usually the case.
Again, if I'm not playing I dont want the console wasting my precious battery juice while I'm zZZZ...

Just like I never use sleep\hibernation on any of my laptops or computers...

And after I see 99% of battery I just won't charge it again, I will cycle the battery all over again so I can get to 100% and play keeping at 100% again...

And if you are like my girlfriend with her phone charging and disconnecting all the time without really do full cycles on the battery in maybe 2 years the battery is completely screwed.

In fact even in 1 year on a brand new samsung the battery was already screwed, 2 years after its completely screwed, while my phones go way beyond 5 years still holding a lot of battery time.

My brother is the same, in a very small time his laptop batteries last less than a second, just disconnecting AC boom the laptop goes instantly OFF since he spend all day moving the laptop from room to room, then charge, then battery, then charge all day doing the same crap over and over again.

ps: And later if I could send the payload trough my android smartphone to the Switch, I wouldnt even care for a permanent method, I would add a button on the joy-con, it would be like press the button, connect to the phone and boom instant recovery mode and then a software on the android where we just tap a option and boom payload loaded into the switch, this would be awesome.

Last edited by guily6669,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop dreaming.
Until we see it, we won't stop dreaming...

Anyway from TX response to kate in their forums it leads us to think that it has something different since TX said kate doesn't know anything about how the chip works and its all speculation...

So it either is different or TX is just saying BS to keep people hyped.

And anyway even if TX chip works with the same tegra bug (which is the highes probability), it still doesnt deny that it can have other extra features. I would buy it right away if it has like a M-SD adapter for emunand built-in so I could have one SD always there with all saves\data+emunand and I would keep changing SD's with different backups on the Switch M-SD port without having to move emunand data to all M-SD, this would be a super cool feature...

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Again, if I'm not playing I dont want the console wasting my precious battery juice while I'm zZZZ...
Just like I never use sleep\hibernation on any of my laptops or computers...
And after I see 99% of battery I just won't charge it again, I will cycle the battery all over again so I can get to 100% and play keeping at 100% again...
And if you are like my girlfriend with her phone charging and disconnecting all the time without really do full cycles on the battery in maybe 2 years the battery is completely screwed.
In fact even in 1 year on a brand new samsung the battery was already screwed, 2 years after its completely screwed, while my phones go way beyond 5 years still holding a lot of battery time.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Have a look at this (especially Table 2), you may change your mind and realize that you do exactly the contrary of what is recommended...
Your statement was true when batteries were Ni-Cad, but you're totally wrong with Li-Ion batteries.

In short: the less you let it discharge, the more cycles you get ;-) (and of course the longer it lasts).

Last edited by Benjay,

RedHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Would love to have some statement about the situation from TX, this silence is not very reassuring.
They can't wait anymore and have to hurry up with their solution the scene is going crazy now.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Have a look at this (especially Table 2), you may change your mind and realize that you do exactly the contrary of what is recommended...
Your statement was true when batteries were Ni-Cad, but you're totally wrong with Li-Ion batteries.

In short: the less you let it discharge, the more cycles you get ;-) (and of course the longer it lasts).

I wont even open that link as I have read a gazillion articles and by experience mehhh... If newer batteries don't suffer memory effect why does almost all my friend's phone batteries all have memory effect in just a year since they never cycle them?

I wonder why I keep using my own methods and all my devices last even way longer than the estimated battery life... 5 years is even a joke for me when my batteries still hold a lot of juice after the 5 years period...

And we all know li-ion and specially lipos can't go below a certain voltage (and so does nimh and PB, while Nicd are the only ones that should be stored in 0V), I actually use a low battery beeper to report cell by cell on my RC stuff, that's not what I was even talking...

I actually have a lot of experience in charging nimh, nicd, lipo, life and lion batteries...

The ones that were never kind to me were Lipo's, I really hate them since I left them uncharged for a long time and they just balloon or smoke very easily and I hate to actually be cycling all my huge amount of batteries like they recommend, why would I lose days of my life cycling batteries when I have a gazilion of them :P

gameus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this requires a computer to initiate the exploit, then we could use a raspberry pi. Its not the most convenient and it'd be something you'd have to start carrying around.

Raspberry Pi w/Touchscreen bundle. This thing can be powered by a battery bank. Worst case scenario, you're carrying a raspberry pi, battery bank, type c to type a cable, and a micro usb cable, which two of those 4 things I'm carrying around anway to keep my Switch charged on the go.
https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Display-Touchscreen-Supply-Official/dp/B06XRM4MCW/

However, I'm not very savvy with linux nor the exploit. But if I can execute the exploit off of a pi, that's going to be my go to.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for all of that crap its just better to have a windows full X64 tablet or a small notebook and install Linux in it... I won't ever buy that hardware unless it can run Crysis :D.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e1d3daJ0HE