Anbernic announces launch date for the RG405V retro handheld

Screenshot_2023-09-02-18-19-29-340_app.revanced.android.youtube.png

Retro handheld manufacturer Anbernic has announced the launch date for its upcoming handheld, the RG405V. As the device's naming suggests, it is a vertically-oriented device with the same specs as the RG405M that launched earlier this year. This means that the Unisoc Tiger T618 chip that powers it will run up to Gamecube games fine, with PS2 emulation being title-dependent at best. The Anbernic RG405V will be available to purchase as from September 4th and will sell at a discounted $130 for a limited (unspecified) period of time, after which will cost $138. Keep an eye out for our official review to learn more about the handheld!

:arrow: SOURCE

Manurocker95

Game Developer & Pokémon Master
Trophies
Website
manuelrodriguezmatesanz.com
XP
Country
Spain
No T618 console runs Cube games "fine". Most of them will more or less work but you can see many benchmarks on YT where games like Mario Sunshine, Pokémon Colosseum and many others stay at 21-24fps with huge drops... At this point I would get a 405M rather than the vertical version. It's more portable and has the same exact performance

Dude, these things are honestly just unnecessary landfill. Ive never seen anybody actually using these things for an extended period of time. Love it or hate it but its true

I've been playing my 351MP for some time now and I can say this is not actually an unnecessary landfill. In my case, Steam Deck is too big to carry it on the train and stuff (it's actually not so portable); I don't really want to go with my Switch lite as it's not hacked and I can't play retro stuff; and these consoles are way more comfy than any smartphone (I'm an iPhone user anyway). These consoles are not meant for playing during an extend period but during short periods (bus, train, flights...). I will probably wait for the retroid pocket 4 to replace my current Anbernic.

Last edited by Manurocker95,

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
save yourself the trouble with low end cpu and buy a steam deck
At least its better than nothing. If you want a low-cost handheld on the go, it sounds like the best choice.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
At least its better than nothing. If you want a low-cost handheld on the go, it sounds like the best choice.
From my experience its a never ending cycle, you will find something not working properly , you will be teased to buy another cheap chinese handheld and before you know it you would spend the same money as a used steam deck with none the functionality...

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I didnt want the Steam deck cause its too dang big, so I settled for the AYN Odin which is about 6" screen size or less.
It plays ps2 games and below just fine, and I can stream from my desktop for other stuff. But yeah definitely want to upgrade.
Anything less power than the Odin would probably good for someone younger, maybe someone on a budget who really only cares about retro-retro type games, or maybe you just something super small form factor like this. :toot:

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Retro handheld manufacturer Anbernic has announced the launch date for its upcoming handheld, the RG405V. As the device's naming suggests, it is a vertically-oriented device with the same specs as the RG405M that launched earlier this year. This means that the Unisoc Tiger T618 chip that powers it will run up to Gamecube games fine, with PS2 emulation being title-dependent at best. The Anbernic RG405V will be available to purchase as from September 4th and will sell at a discounted $130 for a limited (unspecified) period of time, after which will cost $138. Keep an eye out for our official review to learn more about the handheld!

130 instead of 138?
what a bargain

LeNoobio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

good job, now I want to play Wind Waker yet again <.< :D

Reactions: Prans

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
save yourself the trouble with low end cpu and buy a steam deck
Except that, from the photo, this handheld actually does have Nintendo's button layout (X on top, B below), unlike the Steam Deck and its competitors, which makes playing it feel more natural for long-time Nintendo gamers like myself.

My only real gripe with this handheld is that it doesn't feature a second touchscreen or stylus, meaning I can't really emulate DS games like the Ranger trilogy on it.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
This looks good, but I have other means of emulating these games... I got a whole PC to play them all. I dunno the state of Ps3/Xbox 360 games though... I want to play Katamari Forever or some other games on my PC again....

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though I own a steam deck, this device does look pretty cool even if it just emulated nintendo consoles upto the cube.

The screen definitely 👍 like a mini GameCube Pocket (surprised nintendo haven't actually milked that idea to shit like they did holding portable gaming back as long as they did with the endless versions of gameboy)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screen definitely 👍 like a mini GameCube Pocket (surprised nintendo haven't actually milked that idea to shit like they did holding portable gaming back as long as they did with the endless versions of gameboy)
They could have gone with purple, the nostalgic color of GCN than a transparent purple-ish.

Nintendo kinda done it:

af20cf02cfe15b6d54357e6977264b92.jpg

Leaving the buttons and all white is disappointed, though.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
They could have gone with purple, the nostalgic color of GCN than a transparent purple-ish.

Nintendo kinda done it:

af20cf02cfe15b6d54357e6977264b92.jpg

Leaving the buttons and all white is disappointed, though.

I kind of like it like this. But at the same time, I could agree that with the original colours, it would be nicer.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

sKoMo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I want a "mendocino" powered handheld. 6" windows/linux compatible at the 199/249 price point..

I love my rg351p and i'm using it daily aside my switch lite.

Steam deck/rog ally are big and expensive for me.
I just want retrogaming and play older pc games/jrpgs

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Dude, these things are honestly just unnecessary landfill. Ive never seen anybody actually using these things for an extended period of time. Love it or hate it but its true
Mass produced, underused, but there’s a billion and a half of em releasing every year. Really sad.

15 years ago I’d have jumped at the chance to own something like this. Now? Why? They’re just portable plastic boxes that do what plenty of other portable plastic boxes can do and have done. Oh? GameCube!? Yeah, that’s neat… but so what..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone