Homebrew Question Am I able to install the Homebrew Launcher and use basic homebrew without getting banned?

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I got myself an exploitable Switch, and a 512GB MicroSD, while I will be using an EmuNAND, on SysNAND I want to be able to run applications like Checkpoint, RetroArch, and something to dump my cartridges, and mod Breath of the Wild, I'm not planning to pirate, or to cheat or mod online, I just want to use basic homebrew without getting banned. Can someone tell me what can get detected and ban my console (particularly the Homebrew Loader).

Djakku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just keep your emunand offline and do whatever of those things and you should be fine.
Before creating your emunand, delete your wifi prolie and go to airplane mode. Also to make it easier to spot on boot, use another theme.
For instance i use the black default theme for sysNand and the white one for Emunand.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably won't get banned for merely using Checkpoint, but it's recommended that you keep your hackery to your offline emuNAND whenever possible.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You probably won't get banned for merely using Checkpoint, but it's recommended that you keep your hackery to your offline emuNAND whenever possible.
My issue is that if I have install HBL to run checkpoint, is that detectable, or can I run Homebrew from a bootloader like Hekate and not modify my SysNAND. I might also not even risk modding Breath of the Wild on SysNAND, maybe just editing saves and dumping my gamed is good enough for me on SysNAND. I can go crazy on an offline EmuNAND.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My issue is that if I have install HBL to run checkpoint, is that detectable, or can I run Homebrew from a bootloader like Hekate and not modify my SysNAND. I might also not even risk modding Breath of the Wild on SysNAND, maybe just editing saves and dumping my gamed is good enough for me on SysNAND. I can go crazy on an offline EmuNAND.
As I said, you probably won't get banned for just running Checkpoint. But, we can't say that for certain, and my advice is to do all of your hackery on the offline emuNAND if you can help it.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't "install" HBL, you run CFW and either use the album icon or use the title-overriding feature.

ANY CFW use is considered risky and/or detectable on SysNAND. The only 100% safe way is to keep all of your homebrew restricted to EmuNAND. That being said, I've used Checkpoint several times in SysNAND and haven't been banned yet, but I acknowledge the risk.

IHOP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, you probably won't get banned for just running Checkpoint. But, we can't say that for certain, and my advice is to do all of your hackery on the offline emuNAND if you can help it.
Is there an emuNAND solution available to the public yet? I haven't even heard of one yet, been out of the loop for a while.

IHOP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Atmosphere now supports it. This happened approximately ten days ago.
Just saw the thread on it, if i were to buy a switch that isn't patched and can boot atmosphere i could have an offline emuNAND for homebrew and still use my sysNAND to play games i own online with my subscription? Or is it only in an experimental phase at the moment.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just saw the thread on it, if i were to buy a switch that isn't patched and can boot atmosphere i could have an offline emuNAND for homebrew and still use my sysNAND to play games i own online with my subscription? Or is it only in an experimental phase at the moment.
Yes, you should be able to do that. emuNAND is still in the beta phase, but it works.

Reactions: IHOP

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country
So I got myself an exploitable Switch, and a 512GB MicroSD, while I will be using an EmuNAND, on SysNAND I want to be able to run applications like Checkpoint, RetroArch, and something to dump my cartridges, and mod Breath of the Wild, I'm not planning to pirate, or to cheat or mod online, I just want to use basic homebrew without getting banned. Can someone tell me what can get detected and ban my console (particularly the Homebrew Loader).

There is apparently a full proof method, though the community is divided on wether your console identification is still sent through other paths, thus still identifying you for a ban.

It is simple and just requires a clean nand to begin with. Firstly delete your internet settings so when you first boot your emunand it will not phone home to Nintendo. Make an emunand. Boot into emunand and run incognito. Get a second sd card for sysnand. Profit...

So now you have a sysnand safe for all your legitimate online activity and a seperate incognito emunand safe for your online activity that breaches Nintendo policy.

Your online sysnand should have no traces at all and never will, thus ban proof.

Your online emunand can not be linked to a system (debatable), thus ban proof.

It seems like a great setup and unless shown to be flawed is working flawlessly. Some in the community don’t like the incognito developer, some don’t like the ease of piracy this allows as you could in theory use stargatenx or hbgshop and go pirate crazy from the console itself in emunand all while casually enjoying safe online play from your clean sysnand.

There should be a thread on this setup to clear the air on the subject, but it would be a flame war so I’m not touching it.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is apparently a full proof method, though the community is divided on wether your console identification is still sent through other paths, thus still identifying you for a ban.

It is simple and just requires a clean nand to begin with. Firstly delete your internet settings so when you first boot your emunand it will not phone home to Nintendo. Make an emunand. Boot into emunand and run incognito. Get a second sd card for sysnand. Profit...

So now you have a sysnand safe for all your legitimate online activity and a seperate incognito emunand safe for your online activity that breaches Nintendo policy.

Your online sysnand should have no traces at all and never will, thus ban proof.

Your online emunand can not be linked to a system (debatable), thus ban proof.

It seems like a great setup and unless shown to be flawed is working flawlessly. Some in the community don’t like the incognito developer, some don’t like the ease of piracy this allows as you could in theory use stargatenx or hbgshop and go pirate crazy from the console itself in emunand all while casually enjoying safe online play from your clean sysnand.

There should be a thread on this setup to clear the air on the subject, but it would be a flame war so I’m not touching it.
Oh my god thank you! I'm new to Switch modding so I wanted to find out as much as I can before proceeding and you cleared up almost everything. However you mentioned getting a 2nd SD Card for SysNAND, is that necessary? Would my SysNAND conflict with my EmuNAND titles. If I create an EmuNAND, it would be a duplicate of my SysNAND and still linked to my eShop Account, does that matter or no? If so does that mean I should unlink my Account before dumping my SysNAND?

Djakku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone tried to run incognito on atmosphere emunand?
The readme said that atmosphere block cacl0 so it needs to be installed via reinx or sxos. So not sure at which point you would have to install it, but it sound that you must do it before backing up your nand.

Anyway,

If you do nand backup, it also backup your saves so i don't see why you can't use checkpoint on your offline nand and do your modding as you want.

As states before emunand for atmosphere is still in early stages and considered beta so wait a bit longer if you're unsure.

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country
The idea is when you go online in sysnand you want the system as clean as possible. Now I don’t know what constitutes a ban in Nintendo’s policy but having your sd card full of homebrew files, backups, etc when trying to go online safely, seems a little purpose defeating to me.

I’d unlink before making emunand. It has been reported several games don’t work with incognito, 90dns, stealth if your linked to eshop. They want to connect before playing however apparently do not if your not linked to eshop.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you saying Nintendo can read storage devices? That's concerning if true, as for unlinking my eShop, won't that remove my ability to play titles linked to my Account on SysNAND or does Atmosphere have signature patches to let me play them anyways?

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying Nintendo can read storage devices? That's concerning if true, as for unlinking my eShop, won't that remove my ability to play titles linked to my Account on SysNAND or does Atmosphere have signature patches to let me play them anyways?
I'm sure they can, but I highly doubt they'll ban people based on the contents of their SD cards since the false positive risk is too high.

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country

Your emunand is your hacked clone of the switch. Piracy is rampant on the switch so you don’t have to worry about any software tittles not working on emunand. As for your sysnand it will behave like a stock standard switch.

As for the sd card, it’s probably not needed. Though as I said it seems a little purpose defeating to try to hide but in plain site. Surely Nintendo can read your card, though what they do with this information, if anything, is anyone’s guess.

D

Deleted User

as soon as both nands cant ccomunicate with each other its save.
now how to achive? easy turn off internet and dont update the only one of them because if nintendo patches a comunication in 8.2 for example the each other nand wont understand what the other nand is trying to say and wont answer with your hacked nand data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay