Waddle Dee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to my book review topic. Here, I will NOT be a droning idiot like the New York Times, and I WILL actually suggest some good readings.
(Um, sorry about typos, my keyboard is... being an idiot.)

Well, here's what I shall currently recommend:

MAGAZINES

NINTENDO POWER

This is a magazine for every person who owns a nintendo system, hands down. One of the greatest magazines ever... or at least it WAS. With Future US now owning the magazine for over a year now, it's not nearly as good as it once was, but it is still a great source of information about anything Nintendo.

I reccomend this with a 9/10.

GAME INFORMER

If you own any of the current generation home console systems, this magazine is for you. It's free with a purchase of an Edge card at your local Gamestop (I think...) and it's not too bad. While there are many Wii suck-jokes in there (God, it deserves it), and the magazine does tend to focus on the 360/PS3 (well, not much interesting is ever announced for the Wii) it's still a great source of info for anyone who gives a shit.

I reccomend this with an 8.5/10.

PC Gamer

First off, I don't own a gaming PC. the only PC game I own is the original Halo. But I still love this magazine. It has a nice layout, and seems professional, yet also somewhat childish in terms of humor. The reviews are set up great, and while it makes me sad to not be able to PLAY these games, it is a joy to read about all the fucked up PC games out there.

A 9/10.

MANGA

Whee, this is my favorite section. God knows I read too much of this stuff.

BLEACH

This is one of those hard to come by manga - it's gripping from the start, it's bloody, gory, AND it has a great storyline. Very few manga succeed to do this in a balanced way. This manga also succeeds in multiple story telling - there are side characters with their own storylines, and they aren't just there for filler space. Being able to use more than just the main character in a manga takes skill, and this manga succeeds in every possible way.

This gets a 10/10.

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

This is another one of those manga you can't put down. I read through 15 volumes in less than a week - it's that good. The action's intense, the storytelling great, and more plot twists than a carnival "fun" house. Even the fighting is complex - the complete reinvention of alchemy within this story allows for some great fights. Parts of this manga wanted to make me cry - and others wanted me to keep staring at the blood-filled pages. This is one of those precious gems that you MUST get.

This gets a freaking 11/10. THAT'S RIGHT. ELEVEN.

ACTUAL FREAKIN' BOOKS

This is one section I can seriously fill up... -sigh- I need a life...

ALEX RIDER SERIES

Starting with Stormbreaker, this series (written by Anthony Horowitz) isn't half bad. The action's intense, the story is good, and the only problem is the fact that the currency is in freaking POUNDS instead of nice U.S. dollars. God, what is this world coming to...? Well, seeing as the author lives in London, it makes sense... anyways, if you're one of those people who like books that take place in the real, current-generation world, but like them to be good without faries and whatnot, this is for you. Anyone else, I still reccomend this.

A 7/10.

GATEKEEPER SERIES

Another series written by Anthony Horowitz (And yet another taking place in London), this is like the Alex Rider series, but more fantasy-ish. not like faeries and warlocks, more like demons-from-hell-are-coming-and-you-gotta-make-sure-they-don't-ish. It's really good, but not the greatest. I would reccomend this more than the Alex Rider series, but the Alex Rider series has many more books so far.

A 7/10.

THE GOLDEN COMPASS SERIES

Okay, fist thing's first - if you are one of those Catholic's who are gonna go "This book is a blashphemous piece of shit," SCREW. YOU. While this book has relations with religion (if you are a very religious person, stray away from this book), it is an excellent book. The storyline is excellently written, the parallel world is greatly described, and the addition of daemons is odd, yet welcome. Read this book, and do it now. You won't be sorry.
(Sorry about any offensiveness, I'm just sick of being in a catholic school and hearing all this crap about this series. The formal series name is the His Dark Materials trilogy.)

Another 11/10.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the Golden Compass Series, it's His Dark Materials trilogy. And The Book of Dust is supposed to come out in the next few years, I'm excited.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I stopped reading when Bleach got a 10/10.

In my opinion, Game Informer is very biased, and only cover what they think is "cool". (Which of course is never Wii/DS material, but you mentioned that ;])

Waddle Dee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jesterscourt said:
It's not the Golden Compass Series, it's His Dark Materials trilogy. And The Book of Dust is supposed to come out in the next few years, I'm excited.

yeah, but nobody knows what the hell His Dark Materials is XD

And there's a fourth one coming out!? *dances* But the last one went all the way until Lara was older... huh.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pokewiz99 said:
jesterscourt said:

yeah, but nobody knows what the hell His Dark Materials is XD

And there's a fourth one coming out!? *dances* But the last one went all the way until Lara was older... huh.

His Dark Materials is a reference to Milton's Paradise Lost, and if you think about it, basically the trilogy is a retelling of it. So yeah, if you are even moderately into classical literature, you should get the reference. Maybe it was just me, but Paradise Lost and Beowulf were both required reading before college. The Book of Dust, is going to be a companion novel/book, is only described as a "big, big book" and might be out as soon as next year.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uhm...your review for "Golden Compass Series" wasn't very good, in fact most of them weren't.

First I will talk about your lack of reveiw in the "review." Thats just it, you didn't review the book--I've read the first one and about half of the second one on multiple occasions. The only reason I never went further is because I found the books boring. I pushed myself hard and got the first book out of the way in about two days, the story wasn't all that terrible--or particularly offensive in my own opinion. I'm Muslim but I'm quite comfortable in my skin and secure in my religious knowledge and beliefs so its pretty hard to get me rattled on that score. I actually thought it a bit odd that so many people were upset by the books but I can understand why they might be. No body likes to feel that they, their family, beliefs etc, is being ridiculed. So I think that you could've and should've been more diplomatic in your approach to that matter of the series.

There are, I am sure, many Catholics on this site and its not right of you to put an attack or "pre-emptive strike" in against ALL Catholics as your first thing concerning that review. Not only is it insulting to Catholics in general, its unfair as I'm sure that Catholics weren't and aren't the only people or religious group offended by the religious elements in that book.

Now then, having said that bit I will give what I hope you will take as constructive criticism concerning your article as a whole.

Your not presenting a neutral or even remotely thorough overview of the features, storyline, characters, plots, articles/sections etc...in your reviews. If you plan to make this a regular section--I hope you will, I think it has potential. GBATemp could use a section on Books/Manga/Magazines but I'm waaaay too lazy to do it--then I suggest that you create a basic template for each one of those categories in which you can type a paragraph or so about it and then give it its X of 10 rating and then a conclusion and the average over all score.

Also, a journalist shouldn' be biased in the work that she or he publishes. Its one thing to state your opinions after listing facts, but another to present your opinion to the people when you promised them a review.

P.S. Paradise Lost
He said it was a reference, so I guess that me means something like a re-write or retelling of Paradise Lost, and I guess that in some ways it is, though I've never finished either of those works myself, dont plan to, either as they bored me too much.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've thought about doing this myself in the past. It is a great idea, however the overwhelming population here seems to be Manga fans if they are reading.

However if there is enough interest I may start posting book reviews, I read alot of random books, mostly geared at adults (Fiction and Non) and as I read 10-12 books a week I'd have no short supply of material o review.

Right now I am on a Terry Pratchett kick, a big one. So maybe I'll start there.

Also I have no issues with Game informer, great covers to say the least. And as for the lack of Wii/DS coverage, I understand it, why cover a console that has nothing worth covering? Name one wii title that will be out soon/is out thats worth covering? And don't say AC its the same old same old. DS has some solid games no doubt but nohing that compares to the likes of things like gears 2, halo recon, WOW lich king, COD 5, Mirrors edge, Last remnant etc.

There is plenty of top notch games on the other platforms, and thus makes what would be stand out ds/wii titles seem lackluster. With the exception of Chrono Trigger.

Waddle Dee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gizmo_gal said:
Uhm...your review for "Golden Compass Series" wasn't very good, in fact most of them weren't.

First I will talk about your lack of reveiw in the "review." Thats just it, you didn't review the book--I've read the first one and about half of the second one on multiple occasions. The only reason I never went further is because I found the books boring. I pushed myself hard and got the first book out of the way in about two days, the story wasn't all that terrible--or particularly offensive in my own opinion. I'm Muslim but I'm quite comfortable in my skin and secure in my religious knowledge and beliefs so its pretty hard to get me rattled on that score. I actually thought it a bit odd that so many people were upset by the books but I can understand why they might be. No body likes to feel that they, their family, beliefs etc, is being ridiculed. So I think that you could've and should've been more diplomatic in your approach to that matter of the series.

There are, I am sure, many Catholics on this site and its not right of you to put an attack or "pre-emptive strike" in against ALL Catholics as your first thing concerning that review. Not only is it insulting to Catholics in general, its unfair as I'm sure that Catholics weren't and aren't the only people or religious group offended by the religious elements in that book.

Now then, having said that bit I will give what I hope you will take as constructive criticism concerning your article as a whole.

Your not presenting a neutral or even remotely thorough overview of the features, storyline, characters, plots, articles/sections etc...in your reviews. If you plan to make this a regular section--I hope you will, I think it has potential. GBATemp could use a section on Books/Manga/Magazines but I'm waaaay too lazy to do it--then I suggest that you create a basic template for each one of those categories in which you can type a paragraph or so about it and then give it its X of 10 rating and then a conclusion and the average over all score.

Also, a journalist shouldn' be biased in the work that she or he publishes. Its one thing to state your opinions after listing facts, but another to present your opinion to the people when you promised them a review.

P.S. Paradise Lost
He said it was a reference, so I guess that me means something like a re-write or retelling of Paradise Lost, and I guess that in some ways it is, though I've never finished either of those works myself, dont plan to, either as they bored me too much.

First of all, it's not biased in a way that's harmful to the review -- for example, a person who runs a magazine could hate puzzle games, play one, and write a review saying how HE thought is was -- it's all about experience. I'm planning to do more work on these, but I was running out of time.

Harpuia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You read too much of the stuff.. yet there's only Bleach and FMA.
hate2.gif

Galacta

>:)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Manga is way better than anime.
Manga its awesome and it has some suspense.... you can find out the surprise in a second! and yes less violent
Unlike anime...... Voices can ruin the anime..... Annoying.
Manga is like Portable Fun! When Anime is for Home and you get distracted you miss a part Unlike Manga. You can continue where you read from!
smile.gif

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you want a good couple of series from an avid reader I can recommend quite a couple as I have also read Anthony Horrowitz. Try anything by Mathew Reilly, Rangers Apprentice, The Edge Chronicles, The Inheritance books (Eragon, Eldest and Brisinger), and the Keys to the Kingdom. I would highly recommend all these series but in particular Mathew Reilly.

Edragon

Trophies
XP
Country
Edgedancer said:
If you want a good couple of series from an avid reader I can recommend quite a couple as I have also read Anthony Horrowitz. Try anything by Mathew Reilly, Rangers Apprentice, The Edge Chronicles, The Inheritance books (Eragon, Eldest and Brisinger), and the Keys to the Kingdom. I would highly recommend all these series but in particular Mathew Reilly.
Is Mathew Reilly the author of captain scare crow series? That series damn good
yaynds.gif

Forte Dante

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ooh, book reviews. I'd love to do something like this. And, no offense, but The Inheritance Series is badly written, derivative and amateurish fantasy, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Edragon said:
Edgedancer said:
Is Mathew Reilly the author of captain scare crow series? That series damn good
yaynds.gif

He is indeed the author of the Scarecrow books. If you enjoy them, definitely read his 7 ancient wonders book. 10 times better than the Scarecrow.

QUOTE(Forte Dante @ Nov 18 2008, 06:55 PM)
Ooh, book reviews. I'd love to do something like this. And, no offense, but The Inheritance Series is badly written, derivative and amateurish fantasy, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Fair enough but I am a sucker for the Fantasy genre. Just curious though, is that your opinion or a review you have read because I think they are well written.

If anyone sees this topic, can you please tell me what you think of the Edge Chronicles as I have yet to hear of another soul that enjoys the series. Also, I was a rabid fan of Deltora Quest in about year 6. Does anyone else have fond memories?

jocelyn77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never heard of any of the ones in the "actual books" section. and i dont like manga or video game magazines
tongue.gif

But...i do LOVELOVELOVE the twilight saga!!! read it now! the twilight saga is pretty much, no wait, it IS the best series of books ever written. If you read them, you wont regret it
smile.gif

twilight + new moon + eclipse + breaking dawn = AMAZING!

Forte Dante

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I love fantasy as well, but I read the first two and eh, it seems he was just recycling ideas from better writers with worse prose. Might still be enjoyable I suppose.

Haha, I loved Deltora Quest back in Primary School. Really easy to read and engaging fantasy. The primary characters were stereotypical, but like that mattered back then. I haven't read the Edge Chronicles, would you recommend them? Right now I'm reading The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, and I'd thoroughly recommend that to any fan of fantasy.

EDIT: Waaait a minute, are The Edge Chronicles the books about Twig? I remember reading those years ago, and I think I really enjoyed them, but I don't know how far I got in the series.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat