Gaming About PS1 Backwards Compatibility

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that ALL PS3 models can play PS1 games, and I know that they only read legit games, I don't plan on using burned, unless there's a nifty trick that let's me play them without opening, tell me so I can play Grandia, but I have a questions about 2 specific titles.

Rayman: The original game, it's a retail disc. My PSX believes that it's an audio disc, everytime I load it into the console. I have to do the disc swap trick, a pirated game trick, to get this legitamate retail disc to work. Will my PSX game play like it should? Because I will NOT want to re-buy it from the store!

Spyro The Dragon: Another retail disc, goes to the PSX logo, then a black screen. Did a BUNCH of cleaning techniques to fix it, it used to see it as an non-PSX disc, but after all the cleaning, I get the boot screen, then a blank screen.

I'm sure the blu-ray drive will help read these better? Rayman I can rip and use on an emulator on my PC, same with spyro, but ripping takes much longer, but it's still playable on ePSXe after the rip.

I'm looking at a 40GB used PS3. Do you think these will perform on the PS3?

EDIT: Does the PS3 have some kind of old memory card port?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
PS1 is emulated software wise.

I think that pretty much every PS1 game is playable on a PS3.
As for the state of your PS1 (console)
The laser could also be burned out.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS1 is emulated software wise.

I think that pretty much every PS1 game is playable on a PS3.
As for the state of your PS1 (console)
The laser could also be burned out.

I don't see why it would be the laser, every other game I own still works like a dream, it's just those two games. My best bet would be to just try it when I get the PS3. My housemates can't bring their TV's until after labor day weekend, and they only have HDMI for their PS3's, I'm using a CRT so I can't try it on their consoles.

I don't think Rayman is backwards compatible, but Spyro is.

EDIT: Here's a wiki with a list of compatible games: http://en.wikipedia....Station_games#R

If the disc is too scratched to be read, I don't think it'll work any better just because the drive is different. Try ripping Spyro, if it fails then you probably won't be able to play it on your PS3.

Dang, well, I guess I could purchase Rayman again on the PS Store if it's on there, I'm sure it's CDDA system is the culprit, as Rayman is a tough game to emulate in the first place. I'm trying to not spend too much money. I've already mentioned, Spyro is rippable, it just takes longer than the average game I rip.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can get your hands on a hacked PS3 or a PS3 with firmware 3.55 or lower and hack it yourself, you can play backed up PS1 games via a program called Multiman.

I don't believe it will load them from a hard drive or anything but I do know for a fact that it will load disks. (I own a 3.55 launch PS3.)

M

mario5555

EDIT: Does the PS3 have some kind of old memory card port?

Like everyone else has been saying try to rip the games and see what happens. If they looked like they've been scratched by brillo pad, I don't even think the PS3 will read them. (I had a couple PS2 games on my 60GB that would not read, since they were all scratched up).

Also to your other question, yes, but it's a separate adapter, and good luck finding a cheap one now. (Since they are no longer made)

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Memory-Card-Adaptor-Playstation-3/dp/B000K1GZIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345678870&sr=8-1&keywords=ps3+memory+card+adapter

They don't list the original price there, but it was $15, most people wanted one, but didn't want to pay they and skipped buying it, but looking at the price now, I'm glad I picked one up, even though I don't use it very often. But there is your answer anyway, it is compatible with PS1 and PS2 memory cards, btw.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think both of those games r on psn if u can't fix the problem. each should only be a few dollars. if only those games r affected, it's most likely the game discs causing the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game