Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Okay so a few questions

1- Is there a guide for it?
2- Does it work for all games?
3- Is there a possibility that it will brick my Wii?
4- Will it work on my wii? I'm currently using 3.2U
5- What is the latest version? I currently have 1.5
6- I've heard from a friend that it also allows you to play gamecube games. Is this true?

Thanks a lot!

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The latest version of Gecko OS is 1.07b. It's regionfree functions should work on most games, also gamecube. It does not work as a backup loader though, so it won't help your running a copied disc if you have no modchip.
It does not modify anything on the Wii itself, so there should be no risk of bricking.

Supa_S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thanks kedest. My next question is, how do I install the latest version? I've got the homebrew channel but I haven't had a chance of actually using anything on it.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's easy. Just unpack it to it's own folder in \APPS.
That's how all Wii homebrew works. Just put it in a folder under APPS and the homebrew channel will find it and show it in the menu

Supa_S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
kedest said:
That's easy. Just unpack it to it's own folder in \APPS.
That's how all Wii homebrew works. Just put it in a folder under APPS and the homebrew channel will find it and show it in the menu

So I'm assuming that means that the version of Gecko that I currently have has a folder on the SD card. Should I just copy and replace then?

Supa_S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thanks a lot kedest! I'm gonna give it a try and see if it works (I don't own any PAL wii games but I've got some PAL gamecube games)

To be honest, I wasn't interested in this until I saw Disaster Days of Crisis and the new Taiko no Tatsujin
biggrin.gif

Supa_S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
So I've downloaded the newest version and added it to my SD card but now I can't see it on the homebrew channel :/

what did i do wrong?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Make sure it's in a sub folder of \APPS
\APPS\geckoOS for example. The exact folder doesn't really matter, but I believe the ZIP file already will extract it to a suggested folder.
Also make sure it's executable file is called either BOOT.ELF or BOOT.DOL
Then it should show up in the homebrew channel

Supa_S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Okay this is gonna be my FINAL question. I was just looking over the options and I'm not quite sure what they mean

Force PAL 60
Force NTSC
Force PAL50
VIDTV Patch
Hook Type
Ocarina On

What r they exactly?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The 'force' options are about video modes.
I believe the hook option only applies if you have a USB Gecko device
Ocarina is the cheat engine

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
Ocarina are code to add into you games as CHEATS, The FORCE's are forcing of an NTSC game to play on pal wii e.g. forcing pal 50, otherwise you will get fuzzy or black & white screen, the Hooks are hooks to restart wii, where you can move the disc channel when you've restarted, and optional things.

Supa_S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I've tried two games: Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Party 5 but both of them didnt work. I only got a black screen. Oh and they're both from Australia.

Would i need to change some of the settings? I've tried PAL50 and PAL60 but I'm still getting a black screen

Supa_S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
None of the force options worked though and I've tried launching the game w/out enabling any of the options
frown.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PAL runs are 50Hz normally but NTSC is 60Hz, PAL regions tend to feature NTSC compatibility which means they can run at 60Hz too. Forcing PAL 60 (Hz) does what it means: the wii will run at PAL 60Hz regardless of what anything says.

NTSC is a video standard used mainly in the US and Japan as far as the consoles are concerned. It forces the video mode to NTSC.

See the PAL 60 explanation but instead replace runs at 60Hz with runs at 50 Hz regardless of what else happens.

VIDTV patch. This is used to force the game to work using your selected video mode as far as I am aware.

Hook type. When cheating and/or patching games you have to get your code to run somehow. The hook method is the method used to get the code to run (you can set it to run every 80 cycles, when a interrupt occurs....)

Ocarina is a game launching app but it also functions as a cheating tool.

edit. Much too slow.

Supa_S

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Well I've tried 5 games so far:

Buffy Choas Bleeds - works fine
Mario Party 5 - doesn't work at all
Mario Kart Double Dash - doesn't work at all
Simpsons Hit and Run - doesn't work at all
Super Mario Sunshine - blue screen, but I can hear the game in the background 0_0

Now I'm starting to wonder if imports like Disaster Days of Crisis and Taiko are actually going to work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eTlZ0qcSZf4?si=0vpkdIWplaLMFVqv