ROM Hack A little help so I don't mess up again...

sodtiwaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning on updating my Gameboy, I'm pretty sure I want to go with a 3DS and I'm fairly sure I'll be going with the DSTWO flashcart. Last time I purchased a cart was about 4 years ago and I purchased the wrong one and it didn't play 80% of the roms I had. I purchased an M3 pro not an M3 Perfect...I'd rather make sure that I'm doing everything right this time.

I've read that I need to update the card before it will work on a 3ds, I don't have a ds or dsi to update with but could probably buy one used from Gamestop and return it that day if I had to...will I lose any functionality with the 3ds that is useful by using a cart? I know I won't be able to update the 3ds but is there a way to "lock" the system so it doesn't do it accidentally?

I've also seen that GBA games will play on the DSTWO what about NES and SNES games (I've lost all my roms due to a computer crash but I'm sure I can find them..)

Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes you do need to update your DSTwo before you pop it in your 3DS.
Just use a old DS or DSLite to update the bootloader.

The DSTwo has a native SNES and GBA emulator.
All other emulators made for the DS also will work on the DSTwo equally well.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, your 3DS won't update on its own. You could set a parental pass code to prevent accidental updating, if you wish. The Supercard DSTwo will play all DS/DSi roms but only in DS mode, so you don't get to utilize the special DSi functions like adding your picture in a game. As for your other question, there's a custom plugin for SNES games that uses the extra horsepower that the DSTwo contains. As for NES games, an emulator called nesDS is available. I suggest you get the nesDS_r95 revision as it is vastly superior to the other versions. Oh, and ask the online shop where you buy your Supercard DSTwo from, to update it for 3.0.0-5 firmware. Explain to them in the buyer's request section of the order form, that you don't have another DS to do an update for 3.0.0-5 firmware, and they will gladly update it. After all, you're spending close to $40 dollars with their shop. Use shoptemp, available through a link here on the main page of GBAtemp, to find a reputable and friendly shop to make your purchase. The sellers on shoptemp are used to requests like yours. :) Finally, using a Supercard DSTwo will not cause you to lose any functionality in your 3DS. It will only add to the functionality. :)

Reactions: 2 people

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your 3DS can't update on its own. You could set a parental pass code to prevent accidental updating, if you wish. The Supercard DSTwo will play all DS/DSi roms but only in ds mode, so you don't get to do the DSi functions like adding your picture in a game. As for your other question, there's a custom plugin for SNES games that uses the extra horsepower that the DSTwo contains. As for NES games, an emulator called nesDS is available. I suggest you get the nesDS_r95 revision as it is vastly superior to the other versions. Oh, and ask the place you buy your Supercard DSTwo from to update it for 3.0.0-5 firmware. Tell them you don't have another DS to do an update, and they will gladly update it, after all you're spending close to $40 dollars with the shop. Use shoptemp, available through a link here on the main page of GBAtemp, to find a reputable and friendly shop to make your purchase as these sellers are used to requests like yours. :) Finally, using a Supercard DSTwo will not cause you to lose any functionality in your 3DS. It will only add to the functionality. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

sodtiwaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks jimmy, is there a better cart than the DSTWO or are they mostly comparable? I saw a few others that seemed like they were equally good one (ievolution or something) had a metal case and such that made it look a bit higher end but I'm not sure they add any real benefit... I'm not opposed to spending over 40 dollars I just want to make sure I don't throw away another 40 dollars on a useless cart that won't play roms.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Cyclo iEvolution has DSi mode.
It lets you play DSi homebrew and DSi enhanced games.

Another 2nd gen Slot-1 card is the iSmart MM, but I rarely hear about it.

Imho, it's better to get a DSTwo then a iEvo.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSTwo is #1, numero uno. You like be satisfied with it. :D The Cyclo team has vanished and with them the updates have vanished also. I would suggest you stay far away from that cart. The iSmart MM, although great, is not capable of being used presently on the 3DS due to its 512 KB flash, where as the Supercard DSTwo has a 2MB flash, and is 3DS compatible.

Reactions: 1 person

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DSTwo is #1, numero uno. You like be satisfied with it. :D The Cyclo team has vanished and with them the updates have vanished also. I would suggest you stay far away from that cart. The iSmart MM, although great, is not capable of being used presently on the 3DS due to its 512 KB flash, where as the Supercard DSTwo has a 2MB flash, and is 3DS compatible.

Team Cyclops abandoned their iEvo?
And I just read about a DSi mode-less iEvo coming up...

Awesome thanks everyone, now to wait a week and buy a 3DS, Guess I'll get the cart now :D can I PM someone about ya know...

You're welcome ;]

sodtiwaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My girlfriend got me a 3DS is there anything I need to do or not do since I hadn't ordered my flash cart yet? Obviously I'm not going to update the firmware, I also found out she has a DS (original I think as it has the slot for the GBA games) so I can probably do the flashcart stuff on it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ordering the flashcard is enough.
Download the latest bootloader + EOS from the SC website.

Then plonk it in your GF's old DS and let it run the update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34