Hacking A little guidance please re: an already jb ps3

Aerionix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there, I guess you probably get a thousand noobs a day asking this sort of thing, but at a glance I couldn't find this exact topic so please be kind. Honestly, if it exists, just direct me to the post where my answers are maybe, that would be so appreciated. So here we go.

I own a game store. My gf was working the desk the other day and bought a ps3 from someone. She basically hooked it up, ran a game, was good to go. So she bought it. Now when I come in later, I look at the thing a bit more carefully and realize it's jailbroken. That could be a good thing I suppose. But I don't know a damn thing about the stuff. I'm an xbox guy. Obviously I get that there's value in a system that lets you copy games to the hd or run off a usb stick, so I'm not quite willing to just restore the thing but I will if i have to and hope the thing didn't get banned from psn in the meantime.

My hope is that if I kind of describe what I'm seeing here, that somebody can tell me what has been installed here and what I need to add next to give it the functionality most people would want in a jailbroken unit. I'm sure I'm capable of installing whatever, I've modded a few wiis, jailbroken some other devices and such, it's just harder when I'm not starting with a new jailbreak I didn't do myself for a system I'm not really that familiar with.

So I load it up, instead of the normal splash screen I get the rebug logo. When looking at the Game menu on the dashboard or xmb or whatever it's called, theres an /app_home/PS3_GAME/ and a Package Manager folder.
There is also an icon for Rebug Toolbox which takes me into all manner of adjustable settings and such.

In the system information section of Rebug, It lists the toolbox version as 02.02.09 and the ps3 system firmware as 4.78 DEX. LV2 Kernal and Target Type are both DEX.. none of which I understand, but might mean something to you.

The machine itself is a cech 2501a again if that makes any difference.

So if anyone is willing to toss me a bit of info about what I should be doing next, please do. I don't see any other kind of unusual software installed, just the rebug and those 2 folders, but if theres any other info I can provide, I will do so. Thank you so much, i appreciate it.

Aerionix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe im good here. Just picked a random well.. the newest version of multiman and it seems to be working. copying a game to the hd now, if all goes well, I guess i have to decide between selling and keeping the thing. It is kinda cool. update.. and black screen. most common suggestions dont seem to be working, guess time to mess around a bit. blah.

Last edited by Aerionix,

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well its on dex (developer), you can transfer it back to cex but I would probably just update to the latest rebug dex. I usually use an older version of ps3isotools to make iso images and load them from the ps3iso folder either on an external ntfs drive or the ps3 drive itself. I usually use webman (enable cobra), im guessing you could probably do the same on dex.
PS
I dont think you can go to a cex firmware (almost all of them are cex) without converting the console itself to cex first...

Last edited by kevin corms,

Aerionix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guess its good now. Was apparently trying to run it from the wrong spot. Games load perfectly from the somewhat limited sized hdd. Next to figure out emulators and whatnot. wheee. Anyway, thanks for wasting your time with my post :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily