Hacking A little bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

thejellydude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So my brother has a 360 PRO (60 Gig) that's been laying around for a while. He had a guy modify it for him a while back, but I'm unsure as to what exactly he did. If there's anyway to check on that, I'd love to know how. Anywho, my brother was able to play backups for quite some time, but hasn't been able to ever since the latest update. (Whichever on MvC3 Ultimate had.) I was wondering, what should I do to update the system? I know how to take the system apart and find information if needed. Also, while keeping XBL intact would be great, we'd be willing to sacrifice it for the sake of having a streamlined/easier hack.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is almost certain to have been a DVD hack and I am guessing for a liteon ( http://www.360drives.com/howto if you do not know)- the update from MvC3 (ultimate marvel vs capcom?) would be the one that reflashed the DVD drive*. The trouble is it was probably a version of LT (the custom firmware) meaning I would hope he has the keys (or the guy who modded it still does) or you either get to hack the drive hardware style (no simple tell me the keys in software option) or grab the keys from the keyvault (more on that in a moment).

Either way you will be opening the 360 drive but a simple reflash only requires a set of torx bits and a blade/thin piece of plastic where grabbing the keys from the drive will almost certainly mean messing around with a PCB. You do have the option of a standalone tool but that will cost you but otherwise http://jungleflasher.net/downloads.html has a nice guide to DVD modding.

You mentioned live as well- if you saw the results of the JTAG hack a couple of years back then you might also wish to know that there is a new hack called the reset glitch hack (RGH) that via a chip that runs about half the price of a new game you can turn any machine into a machine as capable as JTAG ones (games from hard drives USB and onboard, homebrew, XBLA, DLC, system link over the internet and beyond) at the cost of being unable to reasonably do live (I am not sure how safe it is to do dual NAND).

*microsoft updated the DVD drive back in May (with a beta before it) for the first time ever to allow support for a new disc format (that also means extra work for newer burned games- see XGD3) and in August we saw the first games to carry the update on the disc that did the update.

That covers the basics but do ask if you want clarification or more info on a point.

thejellydude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don;'t think he actually installed the new update, but just realized his new games weren't working. Does that make a difference in finding the keys/updating?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The DVD keys will always reside in the DVD drive unless you erased it with 3rd party software.

Ask for the guy who modded your drive to flash it back to stock and update the console to dash 14699.
Then optionally reflash it back to LT 3.0 for backup support.

thejellydude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My brother had some guy on craigslist do it. I've messed around with systems before, PSP, DS, Wii, PS2, all that good stuff, so I'm confident that with a little direction, I should be able to do it. The only issue I'm seeing is the possibility that I might need a probe, correct? Or would that no longer be needed as it has already been flashed once?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You need to extract your key.
This can't be done without a probe (Liteon 8 series could iirc but since it's no longer virgin so it cannot be done)

You will need a x360USB or a VIA Sata card + a Connectivity kit (or use the Xbox as power supply) and a probe.
For instructions on how to flash it, download Jungleflasher from the JFwebsite.
It comes with a manual with detailed description on extracting and flashing.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You're welcome.

However with only a probe you'll get nowhere.
You'll need to have a Sata card/x360USB for flashing and reading out the keys and a connectrivity kit.
or the unadviced way of using your 360 as powersource.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It flags your console with a "no DVD"flag.
MS hasn't taken action upon it as of this day.

Besides you have a high chance of bricking your DVD drive with it.
It's advised to get a connectivity kit because it's way faster and simpler let alone better to use that then the 360 as a power source.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro