9.9.9.9 aka Quad9: a new DNS service that protects you from malware

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Nov 17, 2017.

1. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Not all countries have freedom of speech laws, you must remember. The internet is a communication platform, but as such it should be subject to the same scrutiny that any other method of publishing/vocalizing would be. Obviously not to the point of censorship, but there should be similar consequences in place as though you were directly speaking with a person or reaching out to a group in a physical newsletter, be it a positive one or negative

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I strongly disagree. Anything short of absolute freedom of speech is unacceptable. If you commit a crime, there's an ample amount of laws that cover such instances, this is not an excuse to listen in on Internet traffic without probable cause. Since the Internet is decentralised, no particular law of a particular government applies, only actions are criminal, not browsing itself. I understand that the Internet is abstract, but imagine that we had this conversation in real life, in a closed room. If a government agent had his ear against the door on the off chance that we say something inappropriate, you would have a problem with that, and rightfully so. If a crime is committed, the harmed party can report it and provide evidence, as it's the case with any other mode of communication. If snooping is offensive in a real life conversation, it should be equally offensive on the Internet.

DinohScene likes this.
  3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You could consider the internet subject to the UN

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    No governmental body has any claim on language, and none should have any on the Internet as a mode of communication. Moreover, the UN does not have global reach - the Internet is called the World Wide Web for a reason. The Internet is only subject to humanity and what it does with it. Again, if I do something illegal on the Internet, I can be tried for that specific crime, wherever it took place, much like if I commit one in real life I can be prosecuted according to the law of the land where said crime occurred. Neither situation is a reason for the government or private companies to listen in while I exchange information, verbally, digitally or otherwise.

5. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Still don't care about Google "taking my data"

6. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    You should.

Anyway, it seems like a nice idea, but I dislike someone controlling what I can or cannot access, I would rather set the filters up myself or run a homemade solution such as PiHole, DNS66 or whatever. I could see myself using this in computers I fix and anything is better than Google everywhere.

7. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    to have even MORE people to share my info with that these bastards can monetize.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. aykay55

aykay55 The Ideas Guy, Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Wherever there's food. And Nintendo.
    Most people don't even know what DNS is, or how to set one on their devices. TBH I didn't even know how to set DNS on iOS devices until a couple years ago. The WiFi settings just didn't make sense so I never looked into it, asd I've been using iOS for a very, very long time. Point to mention is I'm posting this from my iPad.

Last edited by aykay55, Nov 18, 2017
  9. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    What? No it isn't.

I find the argument that the internet is "a form of communication" grossly inaccurate, anyway. The section of the internet which you talk about (the 'World Wide Web') is a publishing platform. Email/VoIP/Chat clients etc are all communication protocols, many of which use the WWW to provide an interface.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I didn't mean W3, or WWW, the proper World Wide Web, rather the coloquial term for the Internet, or "the Web", if you will. If you want to dumb it down this way we can just avoid the protocol/client issue altogether by saying that the Internet is a bunch of computers connected to eachother in a globe-spanning network that are used to exchange information by users and leave it at that. It's a gigantic grid we use to express ideas, and I find it bizarre that anyone would claim the network should be monitored at all when there's no strictly defined center and nobody has ever elected an Internet Police to police it or an Internet Government to govern it. Again, the Internet is a mode of communication. If an individual commits a crime in a particular country and the local law enforcement has probable cause for search and surveillance, I have no issues with their connection being tapped. I haven't, and I find it unacceptable that my traffic might be analysed on a presumption of guilt. The enthusiastic approval of a 1984-style slave mindset is something we should try to correct, not encourage. Nobody has the right to snoop on your private communications, they're called private for a reason. What I do on the Internet is my business and nobody else's, I don't want to be followed, stalked or harassed while using platforms of my choice. If there's no legitimate cause for traffic sniffing, no probable cause and not even a shred of evidence of any criminal wrong-doing, I have a right to be left alone and a right to privacy that is continually being infringed upon. Those rights must be defended, and the tech world has to come up with a response.

BetaXenon and elBenyo like this.
  11. Nimrod-002

Nimrod-002 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    Morocco
    I already use a Dns server, one that blocks every ad serving domain including google ads.

12. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    You know, I'm sort of disappointed no one's made the comment yet:

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Routers, 9 Malware - Who gets out alive?

Ricken and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  13. BetaXenon

BetaXenon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2015
    Russia
    Samara, Russia
    I found some trouble by using 9.9.9.9 with how many Steam images started to refuse to load (and I suppose ones that still do just has been pre-loaded). Which means what I need to use alternative DNS with it. Which kinda making point to use it a bit moot for me. I didn't tried less secure option.

14. SomeKindOfUsername

SomeKindOfUsername Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2014
    United States
    I wonder how much overlap there will be with the more commonly used hosts files and regular adblockers.
    Still, it's nice to have more alternatives and if this doesn't have any underlying privacy or usability issues I could see it gaining traction. Not to make things too political, but with the current FCC this kinda thing may become more and more important.

Last edited by SomeKindOfUsername, Nov 18, 2017
  15. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    True that the internet was created by the US but the world wide web was created in CERN by tim berners-lee and Robert Cailliau who was born where i live.

Nightwish likes this.
  16. call me Ken or Accel

call me Ken or Accel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2015
    Malaysia
    Earth, Sun's Solar System, Milky Way
    If youre well aware of malwares and avoid shady sites. Youre already good

Call me stupid but I dont see the purpose other than keeping your mother (and someone whos bad at tech stuff) from downloading shady stuff every 5 seconds

slaphappygamer likes this.
  17. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Anyone using Virgin Media having weird decreases in speed? Usually 100mb/s but drops to 30 every once in a while unlike my isp's (which is the fastest) and google.

18. jasonal21

jasonal21 Yet another waifu material

Feb 26, 2015
    Some people say that you can use DNS to unblock blocked website. But actually with or without DNS, the blocked sites are still blocked. Can someone explain to me? I have bad networking knowledge. Thanks.

Last edited by jasonal21, Nov 18, 2017
  19. call me Ken or Accel

call me Ken or Accel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2015
    Malaysia
    Earth, Sun's Solar System, Milky Way
    Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) blocks sites. By changing to other ISP (like Google's), you can bypass the block

This is a basic explanation, which I might also be wrong

20. jasonal21

jasonal21 Yet another waifu material

Feb 26, 2015
    So, DNS has nothing to do with the blocked sites? I can still unblock sites with VPN. But if DNS can unblock sites, I'll switch to DNS. It's easier to set up.

Last edited by jasonal21, Nov 18, 2017