Hardware 3DS fix (initially seemed like a simple top screen replacement)

Batoussai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So I decided to grab a cheap faulty 3ds from ebay and give a shot fixing it...
From my basic troubleshoot abilities i found that the charger socket was defective (successfully repaired it).
After having the battery charged I got the blue light on + popping sound and turning off, which AFAIK should be a faulty flex cable, since the top screen did not flash as the console popped off, I assumed the problem was the top screen and got it replaced... upon replacement the problem continues, so I'd like to know if anyone would have some idea on what may be the reason for this problem? I already considered that the screen I bought might also be defective, but since this stuff comes from china and takes some time to arrive, I'm looking to eliminate other possibilities before having the screen returned.
I though it could be the flex cable connectors on the mobo, anyone ever saw this sort of problem being a faulty connector instead of the cable? if so, any idea on where to get replacement connectors? (though I don't even know if they're replaceable)

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the speaker cable to see if it's torn or pinched anywhere. Also check these two small connectors and make sure they are fully closed. You can tape them down if they're loose.

But yes, the problem could actually be the connectors on the motherboard itself, especially if the console was worked on before you received it, perhaps by someone who was not careful. Also, if the console was ever liquid-damaged it could be that there is some corrosion or dirt accumulated in the connectors, so you may just need to clean them up a bit.

Batoussai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So yeah, after some REAL busy days at college I finally got time to go back to my fixing habits.
Checked the speaker flex and things seemed fine... only part pinched was that part that goes to a diode, which I think should be bent 90º like that since it seemed to sit nicely on a slot when bent that way.
No signs of water damaged, which is good.
There are some damaged connectors on the board, used some tape on them but no luck on making it work so far.
Then, thanks to my awesome intelligence I tried to check if that bent flex could be un-bent... not hard to guess what happened right? Gotta buy a new sound speaker assembly since there's no way I could solder a diode on such small traces =/

BTW, I received a ds-lite for fixing and it has those pesky tri-wing screws... anyone got ideas on cheap ways to get those freaks out? I'm really not feeling like waiting another month for a tri-wing set arrive from overseas.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, I received a ds-lite for fixing and it has those pesky tri-wing screws... anyone got ideas on cheap ways to get those freaks out? I'm really not feeling like waiting another month for a tri-wing set arrive from overseas.

I've used a small flat head. Just position it well and put a lot of pressure.

Batoussai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey there, I'm back again.
I managed to break the flex cabble of the speaker that goes to that diode or whatever is that component.... since the holiday season is creating havok at the post service in town, does anyone know the specs and the right position for this mysterious component?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up