Hacking 3DS Custom Firmware by Smealum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But with this you can keep your 3DS at 4.5 and still have all the features of a retail 6.3 3DS, including playing retail games because you don't need the red GW cartridge inserted there, right?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah GW did it a short while ago, but Smea's hopefully-eventual release won't require an $80 flash cart to use it

And why are people arguing about firmware vs OS or whatever? If it'll stop the pointless semantics debate some people like the term "modified firmware" over "custom firmware" for one with just relatively basic changes, but it's easier to say "custom firmware" so most people instantly know what you're talking about.

Reactions: Arizato

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
That would be amazing but I've yet to see any evidence to suggest he's anywhere near running "roms" or homebrew without a flash cart.

He's not going to run any ROMs, or if he does it'll likely just be showing off a PoC but won't release it. Devs like him are understandably very anti-piracy. For homebrew though, he's already shown that he's got his own code running in his CFW. Only thing keeping any more advanced software being developed for the time being is lack of an SDK or toolchain, which will hopefully come in time thanks to the few of them building on 3dbrew.

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And why are people arguing about firmware vs OS or whatever?

Because! It's simply not the right term. A custom firmware should refer to altered firmware data, whereas in this case, the behavior of the existing firmware is modified using code that is run on the fly and needs to be executed manually.

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
well with this you have to save the firmware you have from a 4.5 machine?
I mean..i have a 4.5 3dsxl, do i have to extract and save the current nand in order to use this hack?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
well with this you have to save the firmware you have from a 4.5 machine?
I mean..i have a 4.5 3dsxl, do i have to extract and save the current nand in order to use this hack?
To use the redNAND you will have to, but Smea has already figured out dumping NAND via software, so presumably he'll release that too if and when he releases the rest.

Reactions: Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
To use the redNAND you will have to, but Smea has already figured out dumping NAND via software, so presumably he'll release that too if and when he releases the rest.
oouf :( and i didnt want to bother opening ma baby

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am happy people are working on advancing the 3DS scene outside of Gateway but I fail to see what is so exciting about this as it is just another EmuNand. Ok so great now it gives you 6.3 on your 4.5 machine....and you will be able to play current games and access eShop/online......but honestly if you don't care about using a 'backup' cart than why don't you just update to the lastest firmware and forget all this alternate stuff??? I mean people it is going to be a good long time before we have any homebrew on 3DS.....and I keep saying this even when we do get 3DS homebrew it is a less than ideal machine for running homebrew because it doesn't have very good processing power or screen resolution. You aren't going to be getting any kind of really great emulators or media players on the 3DS.......what else is there a text reader?

My money is still that Gateway has v2.0 out soon and before anything comes our way from a 'public' group or even one of the recent cloners. Also we don't know for sure yet that Gateway's EmuNand won't run on any old 4.5 just without the benefit of the Red card for roms.....all too soon to tell but it won't be long and we will have Gateway v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: It was in yours actually :D:tpi::rofl2: