Hardware 3-5hrs Battery + StreetPass = BIG NO?

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
While 3DS is gonna have 3-5 Hours of Battery Life... are you still gonna use the street pass all the time while traveling???

Legaia

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
3-5 hour if the sonsole still using some "original" slot card imagine if supercard team make an good flash card for the 3ds too the cards make the console have less time batery you know

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
o2oxygen said:
While 3DS is gonna have 3-5 Hours of Battery Life... are you still gonna use the street pass all the time while traveling???
Yeahhhh I wanna see what chicks play with this
glare.gif

I'm not playing it, just leave it in my backpack when I'm on tubes, undergrounds, traveling around London and leave it on streetpass =P

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My original PSP barely achieved 2-4 hours of anything, so I'm not too disappointed. I can say though, that I love my DS Lite's battery life, and have grown used to not charging it constantly. However, my damn cell phone requires charging almost daily, so it's hard for me to criticize a 3D handheld for the same problems. Own the 3DS or don't. I will.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't expect it to be THAT power-consuming. Like UniqueGeek said, both screens will be off. The major point that they were selling was that "Your 3DS can transfer data in sleep mode".

I'm not expecting bad battery life at all.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
UniqueGeek said:
Street pass should have a longer battery life than 3-5 hours, because both screens will be off. 3-5 hours is mainly due to the 3D effect.
Untrue. The 3DS can use extra resources when not in 3D. 3D should have little effect on the battery. the real battery killers here are wireless communications and brightness. Sound is a factor as well. But Ninty gave 3-8 hours (Not 3-5) as a conservative estimate. It's not like your 3DS will last 3-5 hours as long the power light is on. Screen off, wireless communications on, will still last a good long time, longer even than 5 hours. And how long do you go out, anyway?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
UniqueGeek said:
Street pass should have a longer battery life than 3-5 hours, because both screens will be off. 3-5 hours is mainly due to the 3D effect.
Untrue. The 3DS can use extra resources when not in 3D. 3D should have little effect on the battery. the real battery killers here are wireless communications and brightness. Sound is a factor as well. But Ninty gave 3-8 hours (Not 3-5) as a conservative estimate. It's not like your 3DS will last 3-5 hours as long the power light is on. Screen off, wireless communications on, will still last a good long time, longer even than 5 hours. And how long do you go out, anyway?
That's completely wrong.

The main factors for the bad battery life in the 3DS IS the 3D screen. It takes up almost twice the power of the bottom screen, and the power needed to keep it up really drains the battery. They even stated that, without 3D, it could last 5-7 hours.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Midna said:
UniqueGeek said:
It's not untrue, it's misleading.
The actual 3D effect shouldn't drain much power, but the backlighting to make the effect look good, does drain more of the power than anything else.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
I don't wanna say, "use your brain," but... I don't think it'll have that much negative effect. I'll probably leave it on all the time and learn not to whine. Streetpass will be really cool.

D

Deleted-188346

It doesn't take much power to keep a wireless adapter active.
Of course, it will eat away at your battery over time, though.

The 3DS simply should not be expected to last long car trips, that's all.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Slyakin said:
Midna said:
UniqueGeek said:
That's completely wrong.

The main factors for the bad battery life in the 3DS IS the 3D screen. It takes up almost twice the power of the bottom screen, and the power needed to keep it up really drains the battery. They even stated that, without 3D, it could last 5-7 hours.
Let me clarify myself. Diverting the view angles to each eye also cuts the light you see in half, in normal 3D systems. So the backlight needs to be doubled in ordinary circumstances to compensate.

However, I'm not sure what system they're using, or if they do indeed double the backlight in 3D mode, or even how 2D mode works and uses the screen. Does it divert the same angle to each eye? Does it just display the same row of pixels and turn off 3D? Is 3D hardware enforced? Does it actually double the backlight? Given that, we can't be sure if we can save that backlight energy with 2D on anyway.

With few specific details about the 3DS' 3D system, we can't jump to conclusions either way about the backlight. It's also true, however, that the graphics processor will probably work no less hard in 2D mode. You seem to think 3D somehow consumes battery in and of its self. Backlight is always the issue in portable electronics.

Edit: in any case, when in sleep mode (When StreetPass will be used,) both 3D and the screen/backlight are off. It's a non-issue.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously doubt that people are going to walk around with their 3DS's in sleep mode all the time, especially when the thing only gets a 3-5 hour battery life to begin with. Yes, it is using much less power in sleep mode. But still, with the 3-5 hour limitation already hanging over your head, you'll want to have it OFF when not in use to stretch your game time as much as possible.

I see this only being useful when you have a bunch of friends who all have 3DS's and they all plan to put their systems into sleep mode at the same time, just so you can use Streetpass mode for whatever Streetpass mode does.

It seems like a feature that might work better in crowded places like Japan, where a lot of people are in a smaller space. But not so much in America or other countries who are less crowded. Chances are you will never (or extremely rarely) be within range to ever pick up a random person who is also in sleep mode without it being a planned event.

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
but on my Iphone... there is a setting known as Push notification where in it will automatically connect to a 3G/WiFi/EDGE networks and gets updates to your Mails all the time.

with that my even my iphone is on sleep mode or standby mode (the screen is shut of) the battery life is drained significantly making my iphone last for about 6-10 hours.

i know Iphone is different to 3DS but its quite the same when it comes to Street pass & the PUSH settings.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Vigilante said:
So if everything is on full then only 3-5 hours but what about if everything(3dness,brightness and sound) how long will be the battery life
With the 3D screen off you will save about 25% battery time.
Wi-fi off 10% and the 3DS uses a powersave feature which makes the screens use less power, because the dark areas of the screens like shadows are less backlit.
20% saved having this feature turned on.
You will also save power by lowering the brightness setting and speakers volume. But how much isn't mentioned anywhere.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Eerpow said:
3DS uses a powersave feature which makes the screens use less power, because the dark areas of the screens like shadows are less backlit.
And where exactly did you get this information ?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Given that there will only be 900,000 units available for the whole of Europe at launch, I doubt I'll be using Streetpass until the supply gets significantly better, as the chances of it actually detecting anyone else with the system are damn near zero. That and it doesn't seem to actually do anything exciting just yet. That and I never really go anywhere, at least not with a £300 gaming setup in my pocket in a city full of chavs and thieves.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
o2oxygen said:
but on my Iphone... there is a setting known as Push notification where in it will automatically connect to a 3G/WiFi/EDGE networks and gets updates to your Mails all the time.

with that my even my iphone is on sleep mode or standby mode (the screen is shut of) the battery life is drained significantly making my iphone last for about 6-10 hours.

i know Iphone is different to 3DS but its quite the same when it comes to Street pass & the PUSH settings.
Push is a WAP feature.
A WAP Push is an SMS message which contains a link to a WAP page. When a compatible handset receives a WAP Push message, it allows the user to access that WAP content.
It shouldn't drain that much...

pachura said:
QUOTE(Eerpow @ Feb 13 2011, 01:07 PM) 3DS uses a powersave feature which makes the screens use less power, because the dark areas of the screens like shadows are less backlit.
And where exactly did you get this information ?
It's in the 3DS menu system.
It was mentioned in Iwata asks in the same interview we learned 3D required two backlights, which the designers said was the major battery draw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrI7uTMjGic
You can see it at 07:47, but the rep. doesn't know much about what it does. Or maybe he does because I can't hear him very well.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Eerpow said:
the dark areas of the screens like shadows are less backlit.

Are you suggesting that 3DS will have LED-backlit screen, with each diode allowing discrete levels of brightness ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill