Hacking 2tb My Book USB 3.0 corrupted

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought a new harddrive(2tb WD My Book USB 3.0), copied some old contents from my previous harddrive to the new one (super easy with USB 3.0) Plugged it into the wii, everything worked fine. Loaded cfg loader 61, all games showed, awesome.

Next day, turned on the wii, went to cfg loader, it tried mounting the device (light on harddrive was blinking) didn't mount and kicked me back to system menu. Tried going to homebrew channel via system menu, it froze. Hardreset = corruption.

Nothing is on the harddrive, tried reformatting it, but it still has all the used space from the corruption. Now I am trying get databack to recover it...

Question is, has anyone had any problem with this harddrive? Can I do anything to prevent this corruption or am I going to expect something like this from now on?

Edit: Going to wipe harddrive and return it.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently modded a friend's Wii, and she uses the exact same hard drive. So far, no problems. It did have controller lag issues and we decided to use cIOS249 rev19, but it works like a charm. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Western Digital, in the past, has had a ton of failure issues to plague several lines of their products. If possible, I would avoid their hard drives.

Some of them work fine and dandy, and of course, since they're relatively cheap and common, are great deals. If using one, I would not back up very important critical data that you would shoot yourself in the foot for losing. I use a My Book 1TB with FireWire, not the version with 3.0, to store my game binaries to run off of, and it works quite well. I am very cautious with it as WD, as I said, is not known for their reliability. My expectations for this drive are for it to fail in the next two years.

domino-s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BakuFunn said:
Western Digital, in the past, has had a ton of failure issues to plague several lines of their products. If possible, I would avoid their hard drives.

Some of them work fine and dandy, and of course, since they're relatively cheap and common, are great deals. If using one, I would not back up very important critical data that you would shoot yourself in the foot for losing. I use a My Book 1TB with FireWire, not the version with 3.0, to store my game binaries to run off of, and it works quite well. I am very cautious with it as WD, as I said, is not known for their reliability. My expectations for this drive are for it to fail in the next two years.

Agree 110%, this is coming from a I.T careered person

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies
happy.gif

I usually help a few friends mod their wii, someone had a my book 2tb USB 2.0 and it worked fine. At least the drive initialized properly, the one I had messed up quite often. I'm guessing this drive just failed. I'm gonna have to open my computer and remove my USB 3.0 pci card that it came with.

Anyone want to recommend a 1tb 2tb usb drive that had no problems (Model number preferred). Preferably USB 2.0 or 3.0

Thanks in advance, Z.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Meth cake lol