2 questions about SNES converters

NintenDavid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.Does Super Mario All Stars and Terranigma (both PAL) work on US SNES with Pro Universal Adapter?
2.When I use the adapter with my PAL game, do I need a TV with PAL support?

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it has no region lock, then any region game could be played on any other region console.
PAL games run at 50hz which most NTSC tvs won't do, there's also a message that appears if you try to run 50hz games on an NTSC system. SFC works fine though, just pull out the tabs in the slot.

So I don't need the adapter to play PAL games on NTSC System, or I can play a PAL game on any NTSC TV with the adapter?
You'll need an adapter, but it might not play completely correctly because of the change. Better off to just get an SFC copy of all stars at least, terranigma I'd say get a flash cart but all stars is probably cheap for an sfc copy.

Last edited by Hking0036,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You'll need the adapter. SNES is region locked, it's just there are only 2 regions, NTSC & PAL. For some reason Nintendo decided to only use a different shaped cart as the lock on NTSC system. Of course when it came to the PAL system, the same again was too easy and it has a different lockout chip.

Colour encoding and refresh is decided by SNES hardware, not game. A PAL game in an NTSC Snes will output NTSC60. There may be other problems, like mention above, some games check the refresh and will complain. If you get past that (I think that adapter can patch in memory), some pal games glitch when forced to 60. I think Mario all-stars has graphical glitches forced to 60.

NintenDavid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need the adapter. SNES is region locked, it's just there are only 2 regions, NTSC & PAL. For some reason Nintendo decided to only use a different shaped cart as the lock on NTSC system. Of course when it came to the PAL system, the same again was too easy and it has a different lockout chip.

Colour encoding and refresh is decided by SNES hardware, not game. A PAL game in an NTSC Snes will output NTSC60. There may be other problems, like mention above, some games check the refresh and will complain. If you get past that (I think that adapter can patch in memory), some pal games glitch when forced to 60. I think Mario all-stars has graphical glitches forced to 60.
So the Pro Universal Adapter works with Mario All-Stars?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: